8 Silver Coins Out of Golden Gate Park S.F.!

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit a hot spot in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco over the Thanksgiving Day weekend. All are silver coins are dimes. The buffalo nickel is a 1917-S. Overall, 22 wheat pennies were dug. A silver earring topped things off. Most of the good coins were in that 3 to 6 inch depth range, a few were brought up by all those gophers digging their holes. At least three of the silver dimes were only 1 inch deep! The ground is perfect right now with all the rain we've had, I can cut out a 6 inch plug in 10 seconds. I'll be back next Saturday!

Attachments

• 4SilverDimes157.jpg
    4SilverDimes157.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,348
  • 4CleanedSilverDimes158.jpg
    4CleanedSilverDimes158.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 1,360
  • 3Silvers1buff163.jpg
    3Silvers1buff163.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 1,364
  • Cleaned3Silvers1buff164.jpg
    Cleaned3Silvers1buff164.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 1,349
  • Rosie&CanadianCent155.jpg
    Rosie&CanadianCent155.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 1,358
  • CleanRosie&Canadian156.jpg
    CleanRosie&Canadian156.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,344
  • UKCoinEarringMedal159.jpg
    UKCoinEarringMedal159.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,334
Upvote 0
I glad to hear I'm not the only one who scans over mole and gofer hols!!!!! I have found a lot of clad and a silver ring doing It!!!

Good job :o I was there on Saturday, and got skunked on silver. Loved it when it rained, kept the crowds away, but didn't stop all the joggers.

nice silver finds!!! MR TUFF

Great finds. I wonder why people find so much silver in that park. There is hardly any here in Ohio.

Cool Finds. Have any of you ever found any WWII relics in that park? My Grandfather's bomb squadron was camped on the hillside for a few days right after pearl harbor. I don't know the exact location but the article describes a hillside near some polo grounds... http://www.ww2pacific.com/johnson.html Please let me know if you guys ever find anything there. I remember my grandpa talking about camping on the site and they all had floorless pup tents then!

j777extra said:
Cool Finds. Have any of you ever found any WWII relics in that park? My Grandfather's bomb squadron was camped on the hillside for a few days right after pearl harbor. I don't know the exact location but the article describes a hillside near some polo grounds... http://www.ww2pacific.com/johnson.html Please let me know if you guys ever find anything there. I remember my grandpa talking about camping on the site and they all had floorless pup tents then!

I've found a few military buttons and some of the army and navy insignia in Golden Gate Park.

I was just at the polo grounds a few weeks ago. It's on the southern end of the park. It has a gradual slope on both sides of the polo area. I bet that's where the camp was. While I was there a construction company was ripping up the intire polo field. Scrapping off the surface and moving the dirt into piles. Tried to hunt it with my hunting partner but couldn't get permission. I had to stand outside of the chainlink fence and drool! It was an area a little larger than a football field. Probably had barbers and seated in there!

We find those old brass tent stakes from time to time in the park. From what I understand
thousands of people camped out in the park in 1906 after the earthquake destroyed their houses.

Sonoma County Mike said:
j777extra said:

I've found a few military buttons and some of the army and navy insignia in Golden Gate Park.

I was just at the polo grounds a few weeks ago. It's on the southern end of the park. It has a gradual slope on both sides of the polo area. I bet that's where the camp was. While I was there a construction company was ripping up the intire polo field. Scrapping off the surface and moving the dirt into piles. Tried to hunt it with my hunting partner but couldn't get permission. I had to stand outside of the chainlink fence and drool! It was an area a little larger than a football field. Probably had barbers and seated in there!

We find those old brass tent stakes from time to time in the park. From what I understand
thousands of people camped out in the park in 1906 after the earthquake destroyed their houses.

Really enjoyed reading about the history of your park there Mike.
Too bad you could'nt train those darn gophers to only dig up the silvers for you eh!? :laughing7:

looks like you have found a sweet little spot to hunt Mike :icon_thumleft: keep up the great huntin

HH Tank

Sonoma County Mike said:
j777extra said:

That is probably the area where they camped. His unit was the 32nd bomb squadron of the 301st Bomb group Army Air Corps. My gramps just passed back in July, or I could have asked him where it was exactly. He still remembered a lot of that stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back