DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
IMG_5859.JPG

Flava Flav was right. 911 is a joke in my town [emoji53]

I went out last night to get some detecting in and went to the park that is under construction where I've found older coins. They still aren't done but the fence was open so I figure that's an invitation. Pull my car up, get out and start getting my stuff. As I'm doing that, a guy across the street is watching me but he goes in the house. It's a nice night. No problem.

In I go. As soon as I go in he comes back out of the house and stands there looking into the park. I don't have my headlamp on yet so he can't see me but something strikes me as odd about this. Anyways, I start digging my first signal and now have my red light on when I see a flash of light in the corner of my eye. He's called the cops and it's two cruisers shining their spot lights around. I'm thinking "You have got to be kidding me!"

They weren't very good with the lights because they weren't seeing me but since I can't get to my car and I figure I'm not really doing anything wrong I signal them with my light so they can stop disrupting the neighbourhood.
The cop asks what I'm doing. "Metal Detecting".
After making the amazing leap of logic that metal detector means homeless she asks if I live in my car (my two month old 2018 Equinox [emoji848])? I have to admit, I didn't know how to respond to that stupid a question so all I say in No.
Here is where it gets interesting and where I find myself a little boxed in. She tells me they received a call about someone yelling at a house and threatening to punch someone in the face. I haven't talked to anyone so I tell her that. It's pretty clear this guy has called the cops on me and to get them out has made up a conversation that never happened. After talking with her a bit, it's clear I'm getting run off and that's fine but I suggest to her that they need to do something about someone who is calling in what amounts to a SWATTING call. You just know they won't and that's ok. I will be back to this park and the lesson for me is I'm going to have to wear my Go Pro and when he does it again, I'll make sure charges are pressed. Sad that even has to be planned...

Not wanting to go home empty handed, I head out to another park a good distance from that one. Not a ton to show for it but Karma did come around a little. Dig a 77 signal and the flap had this in it.
IMG_5856.JPG
I think it's gold (clasps are gone). The funny thing is this was pure dumb luck because the signal I was digging was a 6" iron disc and this thing barely registers on the pinpointer.
IMG_5857.JPG
So I found a little gold, a few coins and a lot of Crazy.
HH
Dig

Upvote 30

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had that done to me at local neighborhood parks , metro parks and on public school playgrounds when they're closed on Sundays. Reality is.... when someone sees you digging they're going think your destroying the property and call you in. May of us hunt on ground under the assumption it's ok... But most of the time it's not. Example ; After dark hunting here where I live on any public ground, park or school is illegal. I found that our the hard way. I feel your pain... Sometimes it's smarter just to shake it off and go elsewhere. I've lost many good spots close to me because of crazy people or dog walkers who think I'm out just to dig holes for them to trip in... Crap we detectorist just can't catch a break sometimes... lol.
I say screw the busy bodied sob. He needs to mind his own business instead of making false reports to 911. I roll over for no man.

Dig to China... Wear your go pro, give 'em hell. As for the cop, stupid questions deserve stupid answers. You should have said yes officer, I'm homeless, I had a tough life choice to make very recently. It was a brand new car or place to live, so I chose the car. I'm fixing to pull the grill out of the trunk, your welcome to join me for dinner if you'd like. Idiot.

BTW- That song came right in my head when I read your title. lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Next time before you go to that park call them and tell the you saw a man of Arabic appearance at that address carrying what looked like a bomb.

Nope. That would come back on me and make me the crazy one in trouble. (and I know you're kidding). The best move was talking calmly and rationally when the cops got there. Except for her ridiculous leap to conclusion about my living conditions she was quite pleasant given the type of call.

It sure feels like I live in that car sometimes given the 1.5 hours I commute each way. Hmmmm, maybe I should have answered yes [emoji848]

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Flavor Flav is the sun
Public Enemy number one
Gotcha runnin' from the gun (pow)
Of a brain that weighs a ton
Can't face my facts that's on the shelf
Cause you want a hand out for your wealth
Eatin' welfare turkey out of the can
I can't do nothin' for ya man

Sorry, that song came to mind from about 30 years ago. Nothing to do with you really. Lol.

Hey, “it” happens. Glad you could salvage the rest of the day

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
that moron needs to mind his own business i would go back just to spite him he ain't the boss of you or what you do

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread