96 Pounds Of Cleaned Clad & Coinstar

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I posted about a while back concerning my well cleaned coins which I've found over time in the past. All I want to do is get them through a Coinstar which gives Amazon gift cards.

What's it like, packing in that many pounds to a Coinstar in peanut jugs? Is there a best time, after the machine has been emptied? 96 pounds will likely fill one Coinstar. Simply trying to pour that many coins through has to be interesting.

TIA

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I posted about a while back concerning my well cleaned coins which I've found over time in the past. All I want to do is get them through a Coinstar which gives Amazon gift cards.

What's it like, packing in that many pounds to a Coinstar in peanut jugs? Is there a best time, after the machine has been emptied? 96 pounds will likely fill one Coinstar. Simply trying to pour that many coins through has to be interesting.

TIA
Why don't roll them and take them to the bank?

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TIA
Last week I took $417 to the Walmart coinstar and got cash. There was no Fee.

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
It might easier if you make 2 trips?
Is it easily done in your experience to run all 96 lbs through in two trips? I just want to know what to expect. Thanks.

I have never cashed in even a cup or handfull of coins in a coin counting machine, just to be honest. Hauling in as many pounds of coins into Krogers store, or Walmart, will stand out a little with the machines making its noises.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just leave some goodies in the reject tray for whoever harvests at the Coinstar. It will be good Karma LOL

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it easily done in your experience to run all 96 lbs through in two trips? I just want to know what to expect. Thanks.

I have never cashed in even a cup or handfull of coins in a coin counting machine, just to be honest. Hauling in as many pounds of coins into Krogers store, or Walmart, will stand out a little with the machines making its noises.
I had about 50lbs. Had no problems at all. Took my recent to the service counter got paid in cash. No more rolling for me!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get in a big hurry and it works pretty smooth. You'll get a lot of rejects but usually you can run them back through. It will reject silver coins too so keep your eyes open. My bank used to have a coin machine I could take them to but not anymore. It pretty much was a big pain for them. My bank will give you coin rollers but they don't accept rolled coins anymore.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bank used to have a coin machine I could take them to but not anymore. It pretty much was a big pain for them. My bank will give you coin rollers but they don't accept rolled coins anymore.
Then what do they expect you to do with them?

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When my sisters husband died we helped her move into a smaller place. He had a 5 gallon water bottle brimming full with coins. It took a long time to pour them through the coinstar. I would pour the coins into a smaller container then pour that into the machine. I think it charged 5% of the total.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_link.gif
I searched Google and found:
"...Coinstar tech...it has 2, 500 pound capacity tubs inside..." Sounds kind of high to me...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My local Coinstar machines will only take just so much. I can't remember what the limit is at the moment, I'll have to check again. Also, to get cash, they take a bit over 10%. I usually get a gift certificate at 100% value from the menu they have on the machine. I had an interesting experience a time before last. I chose a gift certificate, and started pouring in the coins as usual. When I got a bit over 75% done, the machine jammed, or, at least quit working. I called over the manager to help and he opened up the machine. He managed to get it working again, but, it would only work now in a cash mode, no gift certificate like I chose. He had to call Coinstar, get the proper person to handle this problem, give the phone to me, and I had to answer many questions and give out my name and address so they could mail me a check for the full amount. On a side note, you would not believe all the stray coins and other junk laying around inside those machines! It's no wonder they jam from time to time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread