What's new

A Blackrock Concave and other artifacts found at same site

welsbury

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2010
Messages
1,191
Reaction score
1,949
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some pics of finds that were made in 1985. My original in-situs were taken with a 35mm and I don't have them on digital.A friend was told of this place by a person who happened on it and didn't know or care about artifacts. He found, I am told, 2 crescents one of which sounded huge. I never got to see them ever. We went to the spot which had burned off previously and could see a slight rise and most artifacts were found in probably a 300x500 foot area around this rise.We made two trips to the place and found most everything the first time.One of my first finds was the BRC and it had been in the center of a burned greasewood bush.It was a fun time .Here are some pics though I found more than what is in these pics.
 

Attachments

  • P1000181.webp
    P1000181.webp
    267.3 KB · Views: 346
  • P1000171.webp
    P1000171.webp
    503.9 KB · Views: 290
Upvote 0
Here is an edge shot of BRC. It is 3-1/4' long x1" wide. I do not have calipers but it looks less than 4 mm thick.
 

Attachments

  • Edge view oolite BRC.webp
    Edge view oolite BRC.webp
    351.5 KB · Views: 235
The material on this one is a local oolite chert.
 
These are pics of a broken BRC. It is very thin and made of basalt with excellent work.
 

Attachments

  • Basalt BRC side B.webp
    Basalt BRC side B.webp
    433.9 KB · Views: 224
Some of my pics a too large so I will add them as I can.
 

Attachments

  • Basalt BRC sideA.webp
    Basalt BRC sideA.webp
    510 KB · Views: 217
Side view of same
 

Attachments

  • Edge view basalt BRC.webp
    Edge view basalt BRC.webp
    265.8 KB · Views: 186
Here is a group shot of two crescents ,the BRC,And a yellow agate point possibly a Lind Coulle type point. The yellow one is one of my favorite pieces. It is ground about half the length of the piece. The point on the left was NOT found at this site.I have room so will include pics of a round stone thing that has a red spot on it. Made of a hard pumice? and is nicely made. No clue what it is though
 

Attachments

  • P1120388.webp
    P1120388.webp
    58.3 KB · Views: 207
  • P1120386.webp
    P1120386.webp
    67.1 KB · Views: 202
  • P1000174.webp
    P1000174.webp
    970.2 KB · Views: 270
Forgot to mention stone piece is broken but is about 1" long x 3/8 or so in dia.Here are pics of one of the crescents pictured and another that is broken in half. Would have been a large one.
 

Attachments

  • P1020991.webp
    P1020991.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 203
Here is better pic of basalt crescent with I think a graver on one end. Has a tint flake out of it presumably from use.
 

Attachments

  • Basalt Crescent with graver.webp
    Basalt Crescent with graver.webp
    286.3 KB · Views: 191
Here are some closer pics of yellow agate point
 

Attachments

  • P1000184.webp
    P1000184.webp
    224.1 KB · Views: 227
  • P1000187.webp
    P1000187.webp
    205.1 KB · Views: 214
  • P1000182.webp
    P1000182.webp
    163.8 KB · Views: 199
Here is an obsidian knife found at same place. Fairly thin and has an unusual wiry patina on it. Not sure how old it would be though. Most everything we found in this spot had some age to it though we did find several arrowpoints and later artifacts. I did find a couple more crescents not pictured here. Wish I could go back but place changed hands and permission was denied. We pretty much scoured the area though and last I seen it it was covered in thick brush and would be hard to see anything. Sure was fun.
 
Didn't include pic of knife,here it is
 

Attachments

  • Crescent Camp Knife.webp
    Crescent Camp Knife.webp
    726.2 KB · Views: 174
That yellow is nice I have only 1 yellow in my whole collection but mine is yellow quartz. Sounds like a special time in your life and it was a great story. Thanks for sharing the memory.
 
That is some Great Basin goodness right there!

The big BRC (Blackrock Concave) is a monster, probably one of the bigger ones that I’ve seen AND in great condition.

The crescents are awesome, and the yellow point is wow.
 
Thank you Joshua, appreciate your comments. What type do you suppose that yellow one is? I threw Lind Coulee out there, maybe a Parman or ?.
 
That yellow is nice I have only 1 yellow in my whole collection but mine is yellow quartz. Sounds like a special time in your life and it was a great story. Thanks for sharing the memory.
Thanks Rock.I love to fondle and look at that yellow one,makes me feel good.
 
Those are some absolutely awesome finds! :icon_thumright: I keep telling my wife that we should take a vacation out into the High Desert area there in Oregon.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom