A Chilling discovery, Bones under the Bleachers and Bank Hiest Loot Recovered!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Today started off like too many others this morning at "OH MY GOD thirty" when I rolled out of bed to get ready for work. Work on my day off even! *sigh* A least since today was technically a day off I didn't have to work an entire 12 hour shift. So, after a long six and a half hours I clocked out, and rocked out to the radio as I drove to a nearby town and it's baseball quad. Quad or Cloverleaf, whatever you call it, four baseball diamonds back to back to back surrounding a bathroom/office/concession building. It's been weeks since I have searched this location and that means it's had weeks to absorb who knows how much treasure for me to find. I'm pretty confident that no one else is hunting this site as it's paved with gravel, and some sand. Nobody likes to dig gravel! I don't like to dig gravel... but that's the beauty of it, you don't NEED to dig gravel, as any coins dropped here don't sink like they would in grass, soil or sand. I guess too many folks don't understand that.. all's the better for me! Parking on the approach on one leg of the cloverleaf I began sweeping the gravel and grass around the bleachers and between the ball fields. And I began finding stuff right away. Pull tabs, bottle caps, can slaw, and some coins. Pennies and dimes mostly. I don't know what it is about gravel, but DIMES LOVE GRAVEL!
Here a dime, there a penny pull tab pull tab pull tab.. doing pretty well I rounded field two and three and was about to transition to the far side of field three. Here , at the end of the "alley" between the fields the parks department dumps a load of sand to be used to fill holes and wear and tear on the diamonds.. some of this sand gets spilled as it's transported to the various diamonds.. but it gets grated or raked down to smooth out the "alley". Hey, Sand is sand! What detectorist would pass up sweeping sand? I wouldn't. and I didn't. As I approached the bleachers I saw the edge of a penny peeking out of the sand. Stooping down I plucked the coin out and as habit demands, I ran my bullseye around the vicinity of the coin I'd just plucked.. and it vibrated. Another coin? Cool.. pluck, sweep, vibrate?? ?Another coin? and another, and another.. MY MY MY! Had to get down on one knee to look some more.. and more I found.. another and another and another.. What's going on here?? Now down on hands and BOTH knees I'm sweeping and sifting coin after coin after coin out of this hole.. Every time I think I've got the last penny or nickel, stand up and sweep over the find area and Bleep! only this time it was more like BLEEEBLEEBLEEBLEEEEEEBLEEEEEP !!! What the Hell??? coin, coin, coin, coin ,coin coin.. It got to the point that I quit putting coins into my finds bag and just pitched them into a pile beside me.. and it was turning into a LARGE PILE of coins!
This is the biggest haul of coins that I've pulled from any hole I've ever detected yet! I counted the coins after I found the last one.. Or so I'd thought.. I was getting tired of plucking coins! Anyway, counted I did, and the tally was ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY TWO COINS!!!! 132 coins???? DAMNNNNN! All from an area not more than 18 inches across. Remember this was sand.. so there wasn't a lot of digging, just pushing sand aside. After I found the last coin, I stood up again and swept over the "pit" again, no signals.. but just a few inches outside the "pit" I got another penny, and a strange signal. The target ended up being first one then another matchbox car. As I shook out the sand from the little souped up sedan I began to realize what I had stumbled upon. Some little Juvenile delinquent preschooler had robbed a bank.. a piggy bank perhaps. And the cars were the getaway vehicles. The cache that I found was the spoils of this heist and the cars were dumped after the deed was done. <grin>
After plucking out all the coinage from the loot site, I began, or rather resumed my search of the clover leaf. Sweeping around the front of the bleachers I found more pull tabs, pull tabs,.. penny, pull tab.. bone.. pull ta... WHAT? Backing up and getting down on my knees to get a better look , there under the edge of the bleachers was the macabre mask of bone.. a SKULL! A long dead skull. A VERY LONG DEAD Skull.. practically prehistoric OLD skull. There sat a perfectly preserved representative of Triceratops Plastica.. <grin> Another unique find on an already remarkable day of metal detecting. But my day wasn't over yet! Continuing on I found more coins, pennies, dimes, LOTS of dimes, an occasional quarter. I found one Wheat penny, a 1955 D. And one Chilling discovery.. or should I say a "Shilling" discovery. A 1953 Shilling. What the hell? And just what is a Schilling worth anyway?

10-30-07 001.jpg

10-30-07 005.jpg

10-30-07 002.jpg

10-30-07 003.jpg

10-30-07 007.jpg

Eventually I got back to my truck having gone full circle.. or full clover leaf anyway. Time to call it a day. On my way home though I stopped at a local orchard and picked up some fresh apples.. There are apple pies in my near future!.
Actually, as of this writing, there are TWO HOT FRESH APPLE PIES cooling on the kitchen counter. mmmmmmmmm.. the smell.... yumm!

Ok, enough teasing. <grin> Now get out there and GET SOME! Happy Hunting All.

Frodov

Upvote 0
Yep,,,, definatly looks like a bank heist! i bet the skull was from an unfortunate hostage. ;)
GOOD STORY!

Frodov. You don't look like you "need" any apple pie. ( just a joke ) or was it? Any how. Love your stories. There has probably never in the history of metal detecting a series of finds like that. Till the next hunt. Good luck!

Re: A Chilling discovery, Bones under the Bleachers and Bank Hiest Loot Recovere

Fro, once again an utterly delightful post. :)
Glad you had a good time and came home with the goods.
Apple pie? Perfect.

DD

Great story and lots of goodies!! Congrats on a good day!

omg am off to that huge pile of dirt/sand at my totlot..thanks for tip..oh and big time congrats on your haul....holey moley thats a dang good haul wanna send me that apple pie...lol

Re: A Chilling discovery, Bones under the Bleachers and Bank Hiest Loot Recovere

Hey Frodov,
Get out the magnifying glass and check that 55. If it's a double
die, it's $$$. So, did you just stay on your knees all day? Finding
that much stuff, I don't see how you could have been standing much!
Good job!

HH Slabman

That 'Shilling' coin may not look like much, but I bet it's silver. Probably worht a few bucks! Great hunt!

Great day of finds mate and great story to go with it.
Thanks for sharing.

Sorry did not read the story but looks like alot of coins! Good job... :)

Enjoyed your post! Nice little cache you discovered.

I'm pretty sure the 1955 doubled die cent is a Philly mint coin (doesn't have a "D" or "S" mint mark).

Nat

YOU RASCAL!!!! I was sitting on the edge of my seat and my eyes were getting larger as I read of the "Bank Heist"!!! I am still laughing. A wonderful story and I loved every word. I was explaining to my daughter-in-law, who was reading over my shoulder, that we detectorist absolutely love to tell of our finds by making our story as entertaining and exciting as we can. That is exactly what you do!!! Congratulations on your finds and the way to have shared it with us.

Deanna

:)excellent story that's they Way to tell em <grin chuckle >i was glued to my screen reading with awe
happy hunting

Way to go on hitting that honey hole. No telling where that sand came from, but I bet there's more. Congrats on a great day!

Again, an entertaining story. Congrats on the honey hole of coins, most I ever found in that little space was 7 or 8. How about some vanilla ice cream with that warm apple pie?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back