A couple 1927D wheats and an Injun

drodda777

Mar 13, 2009
Dave, Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-MAX
Tonight I went out with Bruce (DR ACE) for another hunt. While I was waiting for Bruce to arrive I decided to take my daughter to the park. While there I found this 1898 IH next to the playground. When Bruce got there we hit an older park and found nothing really. So we decided to head back to town and hit a vacant lot. I started out with a couple wheats 1917D,1918. I also found a 1924 wheat and another 1927D wheat. While going through my wheats I noticed that I have two of this coin. Except that the D mint mark is in two very different locations on each of the two coins. Is this typical for the wheats or is this something else?

Bruce found a few keepers also. We hunted till about 11 pm . It was a beautiful night to be out hunting by flashlight.

I have them pictured together to show what I am talking about.

1927D_wheats.jpg

1898_IH.jpg

Hope everyone had a chance to get out in the great weather this weekend.

HH,

Dave

Upvote 0

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250
Dave,

It was a great night to be out hunting, wasn't it. Ironically, I wound up with a 1917D and a 1918 wheatie also! These were all from the same 20 foot by 20 foot area. I also found a 1900 IH there. We need to hit that area again. There has to be some silver there!

Great job on your IH. It looks like it is in great shape. That and four wheats make for a successful day. Congrats. :thumbsup:

We have to get together again soon!

HH,

Dr. Ace

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Very nice finds and clean! congrats :thumbsup:

OP
OP
drodda777

drodda777

Mar 13, 2009
Dave, Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-MAX
Thanks for the replies guys, Appreciate your comments.

Bryce,

I love hunting at night. The rugrats are all tucked into their beds so I can hunt without being asked if I am a scientist or something 500 times! They can't figure out why I would want to find pennies. That is what I always say when asked what I am doing. " Digging Pennies" is my standard answer. I introduced Bruce to it last night and I think he liked it also. Injuns look great under the red headlamp.

HH,

Dave

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice looking 27D, I just bought one of them for a buck. the mintmark is in a different spot because they used to hand stamp them at that time. True, true, true.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread