A few interesting pieces (Button ID?)

K

KirkTN

Brother john37115 and I hit an old homesite for about 3 hours today. We tried this site the week it was so cold here and the ground was just too hard. Went back today and found a few interesting pieces. I've also included some finds from a recent old church yard hunt that I haven't had a chance to post. I'm wondering if the large anchor button found today is a Navy button. The iron back crumbled away when I washed it. I wonder what era this button is? Any help would be appreciated. Found some work buttons, harmonica reeds and the old yale lock at todays site. The two indian heads 1881 and 1891 found in the church yard. The two golden pieces are plated. The one little floral type pin with what looks like a fancy B was found in the old church yard. The pin is broke off. This piece appears to be very old. The church dates back to 1802. I also found the iron coin shaped piece in the old church yard. I've tried to bring out more of the writing or symbols or whatever it's just too far gone. Thanks for lookin'. Oh yea, the best thing today is Brother and I got permission to hunt the rest of the farm that the old homesite we hunted today is on. Theres a pre-civil war mansion that still stands on the hill above the site we hunted today and the original builder/owner was a civil war veteran who rode with Morgan. We are both excited about getting back to hunt it asap.. Thanks

Treasure The Hunt.

KirkTN

Attachments

• feb-01-09.jpg
    feb-01-09.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 510
  • end jan 09.jpg
    end jan 09.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 506
  • navy button and jew piece.jpg
    navy button and jew piece.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 511
  • iron token maybe.jpg
    iron token maybe.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 495
Upvote 0

RONC(OR)

Aug 28, 2006
Eugene ,OR
Detector(s) used
Etrac/ X-8-X-1/ /Excalibur 2/AuqaHog ~yayer
Re: A few interesting pieces

Those Green IHC are nice congrats on all your finds HH :thumbsup:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You and John made some nice digs kirk. Nice IH Cents and cool anchor button. I see an umbrella tip there. Good luck at the old homesite!!!

sodiumrye

Dec 27, 2008
NW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Still swinging my old Garrett master hunter ADS2
Great finds, definantly many return trips to this spot. Wish my IHs came outta the ground as good as yours, most of mine never clean up. :thumbsup:

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Looks like you have all the metals covered!!!

Bet it was fun!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I *think* the anchor item may be civilian...

The pin with the script "B" is likely a collar link.  A photo of the back would confirm or deny this.

And the piece which says "Tip Top League" is a "league member's badge" mail order item sold for twenty cents in the youth publication/dime novel rag named Tip Top Weekly around the turn of the century.  There is a database of these magazines here:

http://www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/dp/pennies/1890_meriwell.html

And here's the actual ad for the badge, which ran on the last page of the magazines c.1900:

Tip Top League Member's Badge.
HALF PRICE TO OUR READERS ONLY.
In response to the urgent request of a host of TIP TOP readers the publishers after carefully considering a number of designs for a badge of membership in the TIP TOP LEAGUE, finally adopted one which is an artistic gem of excellence. The picture shows the design, but it does not give you an adequate idea of the exquisite beauty of this elegant ornament. It is solidly and substantially made, finished in gilt and beautifully embossed. The widespread desire for this badge gave us so much faith in the enterprise that our first order was enormous, but we have been obliged to give a second order. We still offer it at the very low figure of TWENTY CENTS (Ten Cents in Cash or Stamps and Ten Cents in Coupons.)

AN EXACT PICTURE OF THE LEAGUE BADGE
TIP-TOP LEAGUE
TRUE AS STEEL
FRANK MERRIWELL
FOR MEMBERS ONLY

CONDITIONS

Each coupon is worth five cents when accompanied by five cents in stamps or coin. TWO COUPONS AND TEN CENTS SECURE YOU THE BADGE. You can get as many badges as you desire at the same rate by use of the extra coupons. Badges without coupons will cost fifty cents each. The coupons are free to TIP TOP readers, and we adopt this method to prevent others from getting the badge at the special rate given to our patrons. IF YOU ARE THE READER OF THE TIP TOP YOU ARE A MEMBER OF THE LEAGUE, AND ENTITLED TO WEAR THE EMBLEM OF THE ORDER-and our word for it, you will be more than pleased after you receive it.

TIP TOP LEAGUE
MEMBER'S COUPON
This Coupon and FIVE CENTS will be accepted for ten cents towards the purchase of the League Badge.

STREET & SMITH.
TIP TOP LEAGUE
MEMBER'S COUPON
This Coupon and FIVE CENTS will be accepted for ten cents towards the purchase of the League Badge.

STREET & SMITH.To secure the promptest attention, address all letters on this subject to

TIP TOP LEAGUE
STREET & SMITH,
238 William St., N. Y

A clever promotion :wink: :)

That is a Great assortment of relics, my friend!   :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
kirk cool stuff! nice cameo. cant wait to here about your adventures on the new spot. willy.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Nice finds. I like the green patina on the IH pennies.
Dman

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds ,the soil must be kind around your area those IH's are in awesome shape ,I played around with some photo editing programs with the mystery coin and to me it looks close to a king george copper coin I can clearly make out a V O C on the front what does the back look like and what is the width in MM's ?

OP
OP
K

KirkTN

BuckleBoy said:
I *think* the anchor item may be civilian...

The pin with the script "B" is likely a collar link. A photo of the back would confirm or deny this.

And the piece which says "Tip Top League" is a "league member's badge" mail order item sold for twenty cents in the youth publication/dime novelrag named Tip Top Weekly around the turn of the century. There is a database of these magazines here:

http://www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/dp/pennies/1890_meriwell.html

And here's the actual ad for the badge, which ran on the last page of the magazines c.1900:

Tip Top League Member's Badge.
HALF PRICE TO OUR READERS ONLY.
In response to the urgent request of a host of TIP TOP readers the publishers after carefully considering a number of designs for a badge of membership in the TIP TOP LEAGUE, finally adopted one which is an artistic gem of excellence. The picture shows the design, but it does not give you an adequate idea of the exquisite beauty of this elegant ornament. It is solidly and substantially made, finished in gilt and beautifully embossed. The widespread desire for this badge gave us so much faith in the enterprise that our first order was enormous, but we have been obliged to give a second order. We still offer it at the very low figure of TWENTY CENTS (Ten Cents in Cash or Stamps and Ten Cents in Coupons.)

AN EXACT PICTURE OF THE LEAGUE BADGE
TIP-TOP LEAGUE
TRUE AS STEEL
FRANK MERRIWELL
FOR MEMBERS ONLY

CONDITIONS

Each coupon is worth five cents when accompanied by five cents in stamps or coin. TWO COUPONS AND TEN CENTS SECURE YOU THE BADGE. You can get as many badges as you desire at the same rate by use of the extra coupons. Badges without coupons will cost fifty cents each. The coupons are free to TIP TOP readers, and we adopt this method to prevent others from getting the badge at the special rate given to our patrons. IF YOU ARE THE READER OF THE TIP TOP YOU ARE A MEMBER OF THE LEAGUE, AND ENTITLED TO WEAR THE EMBLEM OF THE ORDER-and our word for it, you will be more than pleased after you receive it.

TIP TOP LEAGUE
MEMBER'S COUPON

STREET & SMITH.
TIP TOP LEAGUE
MEMBER'S COUPON

STREET & SMITH.To secure the promptest attention, address all letters on this subject to

TIP TOP LEAGUE
STREET & SMITH,
238 William St., N. Y

A clever promotion :wink: :)

That is a Great assortment of relics, my friend! :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Thanks Buckles. I had the same thought about the anchor button maybe civilian. That's some Great research info on the Tip Top League badge. thanks for the link, some very interesting reading. You Da Man. The back of the Script B pin has the C shaped clasp. There's just a nub of the pin left. I've not found any other writing on it. The church is Primitive Baptist, maybe the B stood for Baptist. Batteries are shot on my camera or I'd add a back pic. Thanks for the research help. KirkTN

OP
OP
K

KirkTN

Ifoundit69 said:
Awesome finds ,the soil must be kind around your area those IH's are in awesome shape ,I played around with some photo editing programs with the mystery coin and to me it looks close to a king george copper coin I can clearly make out a V O C on the front what does the back look like and what is the width in MM's ?

The Soil in some areas here eats up the copper. This soil was surprisingly mild on these injuns. The mystery coin is Iron or some mixture with iron. The back is so pitted and rusty I can't make anything out. I did take a picture of the back before my batteries were shot. I'll post it. Hey thanks for trying the photo editing. Sure wish I could tell what it is being it was in the yard of this 1802 church. Thanks for your efforts! KirkTN

Attachments

• coin token myst back.jpg
    coin token myst back.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 385
S

seger98

What an awesome day you had, super nice finds, congratulations.

Chris

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice lot of finds.

I agree it looks Civilian.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
cool stuff, looks like a good place.

TommNJ

Catsman

Jan 29, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Great Finds! I think your unknown item is a coin. Check out the swirl near the top. HH Catsman.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:-X I'd be about to die to know what the unknown coin/token was! :D I can see the swirly and what looks like a letter or two... :icon_scratch: Hope you can figure it out! Love that cameo too!! You two had a super hunt, Kirk!! :icon_pirat:

Nana :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread