Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly I'm losing all of my oldest sites that give me finds like this and finding new places to hunt this age is getting near impossible. There's various reasons why this is happening, everything from a sign posted "no detecting" at a village site we loved to hunt. (No idea why) Cottages have been built over several, and just a few days ago I find out the achcieoligists are digging at one of our old favs. now putting it off limits. We really only have one site left that's in the range to give up cobs and we've hit it hard, and then again after the plow, so it's getting thin as well. All that said, Spanish is still plenty possible just not the oldest stuff... but that only helps a little because it's damn cool seeing hammered silver in the dirt! I will miss it if things go the way I expect them to, but I am very happy with the cobs I have been able to find. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• span.jpg
    span.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 572
  • span.jpg
    span.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 573

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds...I've found two cobs over the last year. One on dry land and one on the beach. You may have to hit the coast by some old shipwrecks going forward for those type of finds.

Sorry to hear about your lost sites.
NJ

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds. I love purple cobs in the dirt. Quite thankful we still have lots of area to explore. Just no time. We have lost many sites though. Its sad to see them go. One good thing about the reale estate crash is we are no longer losing vast amounts of sites near the water.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gwdigger said:
Awesome finds. I love purple cobs in the dirt. Quite thankful we still have lots of area to explore. Just no time. We have lost many sites though. Its sad to see them go. One good thing about the reale estate crash is we are no longer losing vast amounts of sites near the water.

'Reale' Estate is that a pun... :wink:

P.S. I love your avatar.

NJ

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
Great finds...I've found two cobs over the last year. One on dry land and one on the beach. You may have to hit the coast by some old shipwrecks going forward for those type of finds.

NJ

We hunt the coast, but there is no early shipwrecks, or at least ones that are documented, so we'd have to do a lot of searching to find a random one. The detecting will still be good so I'm not worried and who knows, maybe some lucky cobs will turn up.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Patch said:
N.J.THer said:

NJ

We hunt the coast, but there is no early shipwrecks, or at least ones that are documented, so we'd have to do a lot of searching to find a random one. The detecting will still be good so I'm not worried and who knows, maybe some lucky cobs will turn up.

I hope so...good luck

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
Iron Patch said:
N.J.THer said:

NJ

I hope so...good luck

Thanks. There's so many types of old finds I like even if no more cobs were to turn up it wouldn't really matter. In fact, my frame of mind will just give me a bigger rush should I dig another. I actually want some early buttons more than I want silver.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kirk PA said:
http://www.archeologytoday.com/archaeology.jpg

They are doing it right. :laughing9: Every artifact will be carefully documented and preserved. ;D

Kirk

I work quite often with archaeologists in NJ, PA and NY. Using my detector to locate metal artifacts for them. Next month I'm doing some old fashion archaeology with a trowel and sifter. This will be a first for me so I'm really looking forward to the experience.

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Just like I said to you in chat yesterday, "Oh, quit it, IP." There are still plenty of early sites waiting to be found. You'll prove it this Fall.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
KylePA said:
Just like I said to you in chat yesterday, "Oh, quit it, IP." There are still plenty of early sites waiting to be found. You'll prove it this Fall.

Nah, they are all developed or the Archies have them. ;D

Kirk

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KylePA said:

Yes there is, but it's only certain ones that have the cobs, and they are very far from plentiful. I have never found a cob at the type of old sites which I know remain in high numbers. It's much the same as you guys.... you dig old stuff but cobs aren't there, or just haven't shown up yet. Take away our early French areas and it's the same for us, never a cob found.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your friends, they say you can usually count your friends on one hand. To bad about your sites. Arty

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
artyfacts said:
I like your friends, they say you can usually count your friends on one hand. To bad about your sites. Arty

I might have made that seem worse than it really is, and better say something before my friends start to think I'm losing it. The detecting here is still going to be very good regardless of these sites we lost, which we hit VERY hard anyway. I never expected to find a single cob so having a nice little collection I consider having done it, and would not be a big deal if they don't turn up anymore. There's so much more out there to dig, and who knows the next place we hunt might give up a cob. Stranger things have happened!

Here's 3 more of my 9 cobs. The other 3 aren't worth posting.

Attachments

• zzSpan.jpg
    zzSpan.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 495
  • zzSpan.jpg
    zzSpan.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 497

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
artyfacts said:

I might have made that seem worse than it really is, and better say something before my friends start to think I'm losing it. The detecting here is still going to be very good regardless of these sites we lost, which we hit VERY hard anyway. I never expected to find a single cob so having a nice little collection I consider having done it, and would not be a big deal if they don't turn up anymore. There's so much more out there to dig, and who knows the next place we hunt might give up a cob. Stranger things have happened!

Look at those little purple pills. They look exlt the way they are.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gwdigger said:
Iron Patch said:
artyfacts said:

I now see what you consider purple. I have always thought of them as grey, or just being black. I would definitely not try to clean those.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
gwdigger said:
Iron Patch said:
artyfacts said:

I now see what you consider purple. I have always thought of them as grey, or just being black. I would definitely not try to clean those.
I know some guys who clean silver like that until its pure white and gleams like high beams on a car. I guess to each his own.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
gwdigger said:
I know some guys who clean silver like that until its pure white and gleams like high beams on a car. I guess to each his own.

Unfortunately, the salvage biggies have glorified luster while sacrificing tone and detail in search of the elusive Key West tourist dollar. Talk about preserving history... >:(

Stan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread