What's new

A Flowing Hair Half Dime!!!!!!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Messages
3,010
Reaction score
1,160
Golden Thread
1
Location
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a few hours this afternoon, went back to the early 1800s tavern/hotel site that I have been working with BedfordBob, DeArmittPA, my brother-in-law and my son. But today it was just me, and I thought I was going to get skunked. After an hour and a half there was nothing really decent in my pouch. If you have been following along the last few months, this is the same site in which 9 coppers dating between 1771 and 1807 have been found (plus one 1800 2 Real!), including DeArmitt's banner 1793 Flowing Hair Largie. To date, I personally found two of those coppers, both half cents. So I really was hoping for a Largie (or a pocket spill! :) ) before I even arrived.

Well I think I've probably found the best coin that I will find at this site. A 1794 (or 95?) Flowing Hair Half Dime! :hello2: :hello2: :headbang: :o :o :o

1794 half dime_.webp 1794 half dime back_.webp

When I first pulled it out of the ground, it was so small and thin that I thought it was a button. It had that tombac button look to it. But then the eagle appeared, and I noticed no shank, and soon enough the outline of the head appeared. And I found a date!!! That shocked me considering how worn this coin is after all of the years.

I'll also add a picture of a few buttons and other odds and end pieces that were found. Anyone know what the silve/chrome plated thing is? It has a patent date of August 12, 1890, maybe it was hinged on the narrow edge?

Thanks for looking!

Man, I'm still spooled up about this one!

10_11_09 finds.webp

EDIT: Added a few newer pictures of the half dime -hoping these are a bit brighter.... :wink:

1794 half dime f.webp 1794 half dime back f.webp
 
Upvote 4
Re: A half dime!!!!!!

That is a fantastic find! Well done! One of the key U.S. coins on everyone's "wish list" !!! :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :notworthy:
p.s. terribly hard to find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Re: A half dime!!!!!!

Awesome find !!! Mach1 :o :o: " 1795 " only 86,416 minted too bad the 15 Stars are worn off, still a jaw dropper .. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Excellent!

HH
-GC
 
dude that is one sweet find
big congrats!!!!
 
:o A Big Congrats on this one :o A Banner Find for sure;D Gotta Love that E-Trac
 
1700's silver is on every M- DERS Wish list !! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :thumbsup: Top notch find !! My sincere congradlations!!
 
awesome awesome find!! a big congrats to you sir, amazing, banner worthy no doubt. :wav:
 
I want to say BANNER that is a rare coin and it's value is probably the cost of an ace 250. Ask me if you find something that could pay for your detector I say that is a banner find. I would be on cloud nine if I would ever find something like this. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:
 
Congrats on a sweet coin. Definitely looks like a 95. Very sweet! Hope to see it on the banner. :icon_sunny:
 
Outstanding, amazing, dumbfounding, shocking, thrilling !! :o :o :o :o :o

Keep @ It and HH!! ;D :D
 
Awsome Coin !

I Hope you can get some of that Black Off.
 
wow thats a real sweet find :icon_thumleft: congrats on the discovery :headbang:

I vote banner too on a 200 plus year coin dig :)
 
jeff of pa said:
Awsome Coin !

I Hope you can get some of that Black Off.

Man, don't touch it. When you start trying to clean a coin as very worn (yet beautiful) as that one, you'll gain very little except losing patina which adds character to the worn off areas. Again, great find!.
 
Sweet find! Don't see many of those popping out of the ground.

Brian
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom