Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a few hours this afternoon, went back to the early 1800s tavern/hotel site that I have been working with BedfordBob, DeArmittPA, my brother-in-law and my son. But today it was just me, and I thought I was going to get skunked. After an hour and a half there was nothing really decent in my pouch. If you have been following along the last few months, this is the same site in which 9 coppers dating between 1771 and 1807 have been found (plus one 1800 2 Real!), including DeArmitt's banner 1793 Flowing Hair Largie. To date, I personally found two of those coppers, both half cents. So I really was hoping for a Largie (or a pocket spill! :) ) before I even arrived.

Well I think I've probably found the best coin that I will find at this site. A 1794 (or 95?) Flowing Hair Half Dime! :hello2: :hello2: :headbang: :o :o :o

1794 half dime_.jpg 1794 half dime back_.jpg

When I first pulled it out of the ground, it was so small and thin that I thought it was a button. It had that tombac button look to it. But then the eagle appeared, and I noticed no shank, and soon enough the outline of the head appeared. And I found a date!!! That shocked me considering how worn this coin is after all of the years.

I'll also add a picture of a few buttons and other odds and end pieces that were found. Anyone know what the silve/chrome plated thing is? It has a patent date of August 12, 1890, maybe it was hinged on the narrow edge?

Thanks for looking!

Man, I'm still spooled up about this one!

10_11_09 finds.jpg

EDIT: Added a few newer pictures of the half dime -hoping these are a bit brighter.... :wink:

1794 half dime f.jpg 1794 half dime back f.jpg

Upvote 2

fume happy

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2009
Well it wasn't really detective work persay more like incredable coincidence.
I restore antique clocks, and I happened to come across your post after staring at a movement I'm in the process of rehabilitating. I bought a copy of the movement in the link I posted for 15 bucks in a clock parts store. Unfortunately, it's in pretty bad shape, but electrolysis does wonders :)
~Fumey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions