What's new

A Flowing Hair Half Dime!!!!!!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Messages
3,010
Reaction score
1,160
Golden Thread
1
Location
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a few hours this afternoon, went back to the early 1800s tavern/hotel site that I have been working with BedfordBob, DeArmittPA, my brother-in-law and my son. But today it was just me, and I thought I was going to get skunked. After an hour and a half there was nothing really decent in my pouch. If you have been following along the last few months, this is the same site in which 9 coppers dating between 1771 and 1807 have been found (plus one 1800 2 Real!), including DeArmitt's banner 1793 Flowing Hair Largie. To date, I personally found two of those coppers, both half cents. So I really was hoping for a Largie (or a pocket spill! :) ) before I even arrived.

Well I think I've probably found the best coin that I will find at this site. A 1794 (or 95?) Flowing Hair Half Dime! :hello2: :hello2: :headbang: :o :o :o

1794 half dime_.webp 1794 half dime back_.webp

When I first pulled it out of the ground, it was so small and thin that I thought it was a button. It had that tombac button look to it. But then the eagle appeared, and I noticed no shank, and soon enough the outline of the head appeared. And I found a date!!! That shocked me considering how worn this coin is after all of the years.

I'll also add a picture of a few buttons and other odds and end pieces that were found. Anyone know what the silve/chrome plated thing is? It has a patent date of August 12, 1890, maybe it was hinged on the narrow edge?

Thanks for looking!

Man, I'm still spooled up about this one!

10_11_09 finds.webp

EDIT: Added a few newer pictures of the half dime -hoping these are a bit brighter.... :wink:

1794 half dime f.webp 1794 half dime back f.webp
 
Upvote 4
Holy smokes!!! :o :o :o Great find M1P!!!
That must have been a real shocker to see it was a coin and not a button. :icon_thumleft:
Congrats on your banner find.
-MM-
 
Well deserved Banner!!! :hello2:
 
terpfan said:
This has got to be one of the best coin finds on TNET for all of 2009. What a historical treasure!

I totally agree!!! Congratulations on that great find!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DANGLANGLEY
 
WOW!!! Congrats to you on the find and the BANNER!!!

I love looking at old coins and ones I've never seen before. To think how long that has been in the ground............

This site has me sooooo hooked on MD'ing
 
That is one awesome coin man

You guys live in a really old county. I went to a local club yrs ago. A guy was from bedford pa. He used to talk about how old it was there. That is a rare find for sure.

Big congrats man

HH Jer
 
All I can say is AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Bubba65
 
WOW!
that's a incredible find! congrats.keep workin that site! :headbang:
 
Congratulations, Mach 1! Glad to see a sister to the one I found earlier this year pop up :icon_thumleft: Apparently some of George Washington's personal silver went into making the '94's. A '95 is also an awesome find, though :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
1795... The find of a lifetime!

Congrats!

Neil
 
Whoa! AMAZING Find! That one made the banner REAL quick! :thumbsup:
That coin isn't even in my "Dreams vocabulary"! ;D
Congrats Bigtime!
 
woohoo!!! nice coin! i keep forgetting about them. just something else to dream about. not you! awesome find my friend. willy
 
Sweet Half Dime :icon_queen:
 
AWESOME!!! It took me a while to find it in my book the section was so small!!!
 
Holy cow !! Congrats. on that find i didn't know half dimes went back that far :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: Great find HH
 
You've got a great spot there!!!
 
Nice piece of history there!

HH
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom