A friends find (watcha think?)

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was sent this photo by a friend of mine today. He explained to me how he found this " Gorget" And the probable tool To make it today. Well... I have my own opinions. My reply to him was Awesome find.. so on and so on.. just for fun I thought I would like to hear some of your thoughts on it.

PART_1353093038058.jpeg

PART_1353092908214.jpeg

Upvote 0
Thanks I'm not sure why It just looks off to me.

I don't know if it is completed?? Most have a nice polish on them. The shape Is one I have never seen either.

That's one heck of a find for sure. Wow! I'd love to find that. If I read your post right, concerning the tool to make it next to it? I'm not so sure about that. JMO

The photos you see are all I've had to go on. I still haven't seen it in person.

The holes do not look drilled to me (worm/animal holes in fossilized mud) but the overall shape and grooves along the outer edge make me think it was used as a pendant. I think it had a lot of holes in it and it may have been shaped by abrading over the outer holes, leaving just the two inner ones.

That makes sence Tom. You know that stone. There is always lots of worm holes.

It could be a geofact, that was shaped and worn as a pendant, there appears to be some wear at the top hole as if it was strung and hung vertical, be interesting to put a string through it and see if the weight of it pulls it to that same groove?

Thanks I'm not sure why It just looks off to me.

yup that one hole looks off......
....but we will never know the reason

the more i look the more i consider the possibility that it is just natually formed rock

Last edited:
That's one heck of a find for sure. Wow! I'd love to find that. If I read your post right, concerning the tool to make it next to it? I'm not so sure about that. JMO

agree the little piece next to it doesn't look like a tool to me very much..........

Yeah I didn't buy into that either. But congradulated him just the same.

As Larson pointed out, the holes do not line up. However, the notches on the top look nice. Using the hand as a scale, the piece seems small for a pendant or gorget. I can't speak for your area, but the ones I have seen were found in VA, and were all polished to perfection. This piece is one I definitely wish I could hold. Interesting, I'll say again!

Also the fact that the holes don't appear to be exactly the same size which would be the case if one drill was used to make them.

GatorBoy said:
Also the fact that the holes don't appear to be exactly the same size which would be the case if one drill was used to make them.

True! I don't buy that being the tool beside it at all.

Well at the end of the day it does look like it has some wear from being suspended, I think it looks like it's been some what shaped. those could have easily been natural wormholes and the piece was used because of them. Either way he's happy and that's what counts.

GatorBoy said:
Well at the end of the day it does look like it has some wear from being suspended, I think it looks like it's been some what shaped. those could have easily been natural wormholes and the piece was used because of them. Either way he's happy and that's what counts.

That's right!! I also agree that the holes look to have some sort of wear. I would never toss it out, even if I knew for 100% fact that nature made it's appearance. Appreciation for nature is #1 on any artifact hunter's list.

Gator - Almost certainly the pieces next to it wasn't used to drill the holes, IMO. Looks like stone, not bone or shell. As far as the holes go I'm only aware of two types of drill holes, flint drills and hollow reed drilling, I'm sure there are more but I'm not aware of them. The holes in this pieces don't look conical and I doubt are flint drilled ( I guess the could be if they were drilled from the other side only). I think they're too small for reed drilling nor do have the 'corner' heading into the hole normally seen on a reed drilled piece. I think I would have handled the buddy finding it the same as you, 'Great find, congratulations'. Just from the picture I don't see anything making me think artifact, but the shape is unusual and suspicious enough it very well may be an odd little artifact. As NCFieldHunter said, either way it definitely would have come home with me.

cool find,
Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back