vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Wow, another term I had to look up. Circulating coins commonly suffered from "shaving" or "clipping", by which persons would cut off small amounts of precious metal from their edges to form new coins.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, why would you ever want to shave a coin? Are you preparing for an apocalypse?

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
dawg, now there be an idea, I usually stick to a straight edged razor. I wonder how many times you could reuse the shaving coin before it needs sharpened again, betta yet, make a handle for it, and start selling them.

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asked the wrong question. What is the silver content of pre 1964 silver coins? What is that market value if smelted?

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please by all means though, shave all the silver coin edges off you want then return them to the wild lol =P

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
silver coins are worth more in coin form. there is both intrinsic and numismatic value to silver coins, and the fact that they were minted by the government as a form of currency their weight and content are both known and genuine unless counterfeit which is highly unlikely unless it is a rare key date. Basically, treat your silver coins like you would silver bullion bars. to know their silver value (.900 for coin silver, .4 obviously for 40% halves) take the spot price multiply it by the weight then multiply again by .9. This will be your silver value. at least this is the way I've always done it, someone correct me if I'm incorrect.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
China has counterfeited clad, so they most certainly counterfeit junk silver.

I have a counterfeit Panda 1oz silver coin that my LCS gave to me. It is hard to tell the difference just by a quick look at it. I bought a couple of Eagles yesterday from a Shop I was checking out. He had a panda but I wasn't sure about it so I got the Eagles instead plus I already had the year he had anyway.

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just found a United States Coin Book at the Salvation Army, it has the values of all coins from 2009. It has a lot of info about the coins. I get a lot of treasure books that way. I started this post as spoof. I have a different sense of humor than most. You should see me in camp, Im always doing something. Anyway, shaving a coin would not feed a bird. So as posted earlier, I am setting all coins free to the wild, smiles. Thanks for the responses guys.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well - reading this thread is 2 minutes of my life that I will never get back, much appreciated.

RVA

Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yall really know how to complain on here

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well - reading this thread is 2 minutes of my life that I will never get back, much appreciated.
As some of you may have figured out. This post was just a spoof. While shaving coins and such has been done. There has been no real reason to have done of for the last few decades. I was hoping for some more humorous responses. It appears CRH do not have a sense of humor lol.

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This "shaving" was the main reason I had bought a scale as a coin collector, at one time it was a very popular yet seedy tactic to trim even just the finest slivers metals off of the edges of coins. Happened alot more with the circulated gold coins here in the US but also have found it done on both morgan and peace dollars. I get the humor in the posting but it is good to point out that don't spend money on a older coin unless you know exactly what you are getting ie weigh it or have it certified with one of the more trustworthy grading company's out there. I have on many occations came across morgans and halves that are a good 2-4 grams off from having a little trim, which is well beyond the typical handling wear of a coin. From what I have seen so far the coins are trimmed on the very edges of coins and not off of the raised rim itself. Just like the people that had gone before us and had been ripped off has said
if a deal is to good to be true, it usually is

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the end we are all coin roll hunters as we have to sort our finds. While buying what I cant find is a idea, I would rather sell my detector first. That is not going to happen. As mentioned before, shaving has taken place. Now I have a good idea of how to check for it. So this was not a wasted 2 minutes of my life. Now if we can get the banks to pay us to the coinstars we would be doing even better.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
China has counterfeited clad, so they most certainly counterfeit junk silver.

Sagittarius, I agree that someone in China can and has made fake junk silver. I don't think it's real common or been done on a scale to cause any real problems...yet. There are easier and more profitable coins to counterfeit. I agree with Tlowery that junk silver is a great way to buy and sell if your in the market for PMs. If you buy $100 face in junk silver from a random person on CL, I don't think you would need to worry that he's selling fake chinese 1964 quarters in mass. On the flip side, I'd be super careful about buying 1oz rounds from said random person.

BTW, I don't consider silver dollars junk silver. I know China likes to fake Morgans. After a little research, I've found a few reports of fake silver halves as well. I guess nothing is really safe anymore. However, I just don't think I could be fooled in to buying fake halves as long as I was able touch and see them in a face to face transaction.

OO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread