What's new

A"mystery" coin found at beach this morning.....solved the mystery after electrolysis

lorraine

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Messages
4,474
Reaction score
3,764
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A"mystery" coin found at beach this morning.....solved the mystery after electrolysis

Hi :hello:

Got in a couple of hours while Hank golfed this morning.

Not much to show for the time I hunted, but I did recover a "bit" of silver.

Here's some pics of my adventure this morning just before the rain started.


Thanks for looking

Lorraine


DSCF1419.webp



DSCF1420.webp


DSCF1428.webp

DSCF1424.webpDSCF1426.webpDSCF1429.webpDSCF1432.webp

DSCF1453.webpDSCF1456.webp

DSCF1446.webp
 
Upvote 0
Wow Lorraine, that coin has seen better days! Your posts are so good showing the before and after shots. I'd have never guessed a walking liberty was under that crud. Beach shots look great, how I wish I was closer to any beach!

Keep it up Lorraine, you and all the other posters are my fix until I can get back to a beach!

Cliff
 
Congratulation!! I wish you luck next hunt.
 
I really like the look of that beach.:leprechaun-hat:
 
:thumbsup: Just think of it as a big silver nugget!
 
Nice find, Lorraine. That is the condition they are in when I find silver coins in the water here
 
Nice walker :laughing7: that electrolysis sure did the job though :icon_cheers:
 
"theater of operations" I love it! Great detail on your pictures! Great work!
 
Salt water seems to change a coin's identity at times, I have a clad dime that looks like boat and pig coin. Detecting is good for health too, and priceless.
 
still - always nice to find a half - means no one went over that spot and there could be more missed there :thumbsup:
 
I like reading your posts also. gives me hope!!
 
Very cool!!! I too like the before and after pix along with the location shots. Shame you over zapped it ruining its high numismatic value. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!!!!:laughing7:

Seriously, great job!!!!
 
Thank you for your reply, Native Floridian,

I was sure hoping that it was one of these 1899 Beauties ( see attached pic) that I had found several years ago under the same muddy, salty beach low tide conditions...and would you believe I then returned to that same beach the very next day and found another Barber Liberty dated 1895...also in great condition , which I promptly gave to my brother a coin collector who lives in Florida , in appreciation for his on - going advice and assistance in this terrific hobby.



Very cool!!! I too like the before and after pix along with the location shots. Shame you over zapped it ruining its high numismatic value. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!!!!:laughing7:

Seriously, great job!!!!
 

Attachments

  • DSCF1460.webp
    DSCF1460.webp
    79.7 KB · Views: 215
Thank you for your reply, Native Floridian,

I was sure hoping that it was one of these 1899 Beauties ( see attached pic) that I had found several years ago under the same muddy, salty beach low tide conditions...and would you believe I then returned to that same beach the very next day and found another Barber Liberty dated 1895...also in great condition , which I promptly gave to my brother a coin collector who lives in Florida , in appreciation for his on - going advice and assistance in this terrific hobby.

This is exactly why I love this hobby! You never know what's going to show up in the scoop today. Just like everyone else I love finding gold bling, but I gotta tell ya, I really love the old coins too!!!!! And these are beauties!!!! Thanks for posting!!
 
Lorraine , your post are the most enjoyable . Congratulations on your find .:thumbsup:
 
Interesting result. I'm wondering about the HUGE loss in weight...over 12g. A good half, I believe, should weigh about 12.5g so looks like you had some extra on there rockysand particles. But going down so low to 2.76g seems excessive electrolysis :dontknow:.

I have found some pretty bad halves in salt water (Walkers too) never as bad as yours. Interestingly I also got some coins which apparently were imbedded in the clay (deep enough) and protected from corrosion and came out looking brand new.

Yesterday I also picked up a mystery silver coin about quarter size from my landfill site. Usually those have been Washingtons but this guy is only 4.75g (instead of 6.25g). I'm using the aluminum foil method and hope to have an ID soon.
 
Thankyou for your interesting, informative comments, Dr. Joe

Yes, that weight business is strange...I know that the coin is so thin, that a piece of it broke off as I was gently rubbing after about 40 minutes of intermittent electrolysis.:icon_scratch:

I feel bad about this coin, but I don't think I could have gotten it in any better condition..it had to be down there for many , many moons.It was not deep enough to have itself protected..just about 5" in mud.

Sometimes I find coins down deep in that gray clay...almost cement -like level, and it's true that they are in not so bad condition from being protected in that deep matter.
 
Looks like you could harvest coins and quahogs on that beach. Poor old half dollar!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom