NoBootyYet

Dec 3, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455510711.576148.jpg
What do you all do with the pennies that are ruined?

Upvote 5

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save all my clad I have a big jar for pennies one for bickels dimes quarters ect some day Ill take em all back I think the bank will take the junk ones I know they take junk bills if you have all serial numbers anyway I find a lot of pennies like that I think its fertilizer maybe that eats them like that. Good amount of finds hopefully it warms up here soon. Good Job

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bank wont take the real ate up ones unless you mix them in a roll but don't do that anywhere you normally bank at they wont like you much.LOL I just toss the real bad ones.What eats up the pennies is the fact that newer pennies(1982 to present) are zinc, and they go back to nature. Older pennies (1981 and back) are copper and don't get eaten up as bad.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am saving my damaged zincs. I plan on filling baby food jars with them with a note. "cache, compliments of Loco-Digger Treasurenet.com" and planting them in a couple of the older hunted out schools in the county. Maybe someday, I will be notified if one is ever found.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite some time to capture all those pennies huh? ZINCS STINK!!!!.I try my best when hunting to not dig shallow signals in that number range,but deeper signals in that range turn out to be Indian head pennies,so I watch the depth closely.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good finds & congrats. I like the idea of putting the junk zinc pennies in a baby food jar & burying them as cache with a compliment note.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am saving my damaged zincs. I plan on filling baby food jars with them with a note. "cache, compliments of Loco-Digger Treasurenet.com" and planting them in a couple of the older hunted out schools in the county. Maybe someday, I will be notified if one is ever found.
I've done that over the years. I used plastic jars with a NYC Treasures Business Card. Unfortunately, the phone number on that card was my old land line which I disconnected about 10 years ago. Today, I just toss them.
In NYC parks, salt is put down on paved walkways. That salt will eventually end up in the soil adjacent the walkways
The salt will eat up zinc coins.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! Those zinc do not last too long in the farm fields and parks.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think any detectorist who returns zinc pennies back into hunt areas ought to have better sense.That is not funny in my estimation.Would you like them planted in ALL the areas you hunt?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think any detectorist who returns zinc pennies back into hunt areas ought to have better sense.That is not funny in my estimation.Would you like them planted in ALL the areas you hunt?

I am not just tossing them willy nilly, just going to bury a jar full at a few sites. It will be a cool find for a newbie and I may make a new friend. Maybe I ought to make a trip to Indian and bury a few in your area. :dontknow: :tongue3:

OP
OP
NoBootyYet

NoBootyYet

Dec 3, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that you explain the jar hide it does sound kinda "kool-ish" to me. I want some silver ,gold or a large spill/hide sooooo bad!!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep all of my toasted Lincolns. Jars and jars full, which I dig because little silver rings hide among the signals. I plan on reloading a mountain of 12 guage shells with them, for use in the "Great Zombie War of 2024." Won't that leave a mark....Sub :laughing7:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Kelvin...
Don't overthink the zinc penny thing...

Roll them up and deposit them into your bank.

Only the CRH guys get agita with regards to zinc pennies, and what to do with them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread