A RARE 1787 CONNECTICUT HALFPENNY IN INCREDIBLE SHAPE!!!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This Victorian-era property I have been working this past weekend in my town has turned out to be a Colonial oasis. I have found many several Colonial firsts on this property which has been a real surprise and I believe is due to the remains of an old mill which is in the area. I will save those items for future posts, but wanted to share this incredible Connecticut halfpenny, which based on the decorator used in the die makes it rare or very rare coin to boot. It displayed on my Explorer SE Pro like a silver quarter, probably because it's in such good shape. Large coppers in northern NJ rarely if ever come out of the ground looking like this! I am also excited because it is my first colonial State copper in over twelve years of detecting. I have not nailed down the exact variety and have included photos and scans, neither of which really do the coin any justice. It is stuck off center and the date in cut in half, but due to the few years in which this coin was minted it must be a 1787 and there were over 200 varieties of this coin in that year! Please also note the die crack which goes through the letters "AUCT". This copper is the "Draped Bust" variety. Also note the very interesting look of the eye.

Attachments

• CT 1787 Halfpenny Photo (obverse).JPG
    CT 1787 Halfpenny Photo (obverse).JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 1,182
  • CT 1787 Halfpenny Photo (reverse).JPG
    CT 1787 Halfpenny Photo (reverse).JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,102
  • CT 1787 Halfpenny Scan (obverse).jpg
    CT 1787 Halfpenny Scan (obverse).jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 1,051
  • CT 1787 Halfpenny Scan (reverse).jpg
    CT 1787 Halfpenny Scan (reverse).jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 936
Upvote 53
I had a very late night last night (mostly work and some :occasion14:) and so this is the first I'm seeing this. Just wanted to say thank you to all those that replied so kindly to the thread with compliments and information regarding the coin and a SPECIAL thanks to all those who cast their banner nomination for it--this is my first time on the banner and your support means a lot to me! Thanks again.

Congrats on making the Banner, not too ofton you see coppers up there. She's a real beauty, well done.
ZDD

Deserving for sure. You'll see rarer CTs dug, but I think it will be a very long time before another gets posted in that condition.

Thanks IP, you and Don were especially invaluable in id'ing the copper and assessing its rarity/condition. Thanks again for all you did--I really appreciate it!

Alright Erik! Congrats on your Banner appearance :occasion14:

very nice , I found one similar to this last year but like you said they never come out of NJ ground looking good. yours is in much better shape, congrats!!

Erik, WOW! Congratulations on finding a FANTASTIC state coin and for making a well-deserved BANNER find! :thumbsup: The 'Mona Lisa' smile goes well with the unusual look in the eyes. Way to go :) Breezie

Congratulations! That coin looks beautiful on the banner.

Awesome! Congrats! Makes all the zincolns and clads worth it!:icon_thumright:

Allow me to be the 113th person to Congratulate you on a totally well deserved BANNER find!!! :occasion14:

Great looking coin Erik. Why does it look like it has white outlines on the edges?

ERIK, 1st off what a BEAUTIFUL coin!! 2nd BIG CONGRATS on makin the BANNER!! With all the great finds you been gettin lately we knew sooner or later you'd be UP TOP.. Just don't look down on the rest of us nonbanner guys now. LOL!! JUST KIDDIN BUD... Go and get another one up there.. CONGRATS.. HH aka: the other ERIK!!!

Hi Matt, not sure what white outline you are seeing. The scan shows where some of the patina is missing around the edge of the coin (the scan really highlights all of the flaws as the coin looks much better in person that it does in the scan). I tried to preserve it the best I possibly could, but in removing the dirt, the patina near the edge suffered a bit. I'm going to try and get some better pics of it this weekend.

Great looking coin Erik. Why does it look like it has white outlines on the edges?

ERIK, 1st off what a BEAUTIFUL coin!! 2nd BIG CONGRATS on makin the BANNER!! With all the great finds you been gettin lately we knew sooner or later you'd be UP TOP.. Just don't look down on the rest of us nonbanner guys now. LOL!! JUST KIDDIN BUD... Go and get another one up there.. CONGRATS.. HH aka: the other ERIK!!!

Erik who?? :laughing7: LOL, just kidding brother--thanks for the kind words as always!

Erik i've dug a crapload of CT coppers and this one is primo dude! congrats on the banner! makes me proud to see it up there being born,raised & still detecting in Connecticut

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back