OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing much of interest on that episode. At least they got a realistic guess for the metal spikes (crib spikes) as compared to roman spears... The old hinge does not show much really. No one disputes that people have been visiting Oak Island for a few hundred years at least. Does not seem treasure related.

The dives on the ocean bottom were pretty funny for any experienced divers watching. They were only in 25 foot of water. Why would they need a spare safety diver. That is about a basic a dive as you can get. I do not even know why they were diving with two tanks. They must of only been down for 15 minutes or so. The rules on what they can touch in Canada seem over the top. If not even allowed to move a rock.. I see they did not even bother diving at the 'vents' even though they are now saying these could be flood tunnel entrances. This is quite possibly the most ridiculous speculation they have made about the money pit. There is no way someone from hundreds of years ago tunneled up under the water to make a flood tunnel and they know it... Still all they found was a couple of rocks...

I am surprised they have not even tried to get the wood on the 'slipway' dated. That would seem like a good start to finding how old it is.

Really disappointed that the rest of the dye test results were never shared. That was a pretty pathetic effort of tracing the water to the money pit area.

Overall nothing new added this episode really

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
They need to paint a picture of how difficult the undertaking is in every aspect, so that when they fail there will still be reason to believe that treasure might be there somewhere just couldn't find it given the degree of difficulty which confronted them, never-mind they did it to themselves.
Nothing much of interest on that episode. At least they got a realistic guess for the metal spikes (crib spikes) as compared to roman spears... The old hinge does not show much really. No one disputes that people have been visiting Oak Island for a few hundred years at least. Does not seem treasure related.

The dives on the ocean bottom were pretty funny for any experienced divers watching. They were only in 25 foot of water. Why would they need a spare safety diver. That is about a basic a dive as you can get. I do not even know why they were diving with two tanks. They must of only been down for 15 minutes or so. The rules on what they can touch in Canada seem over the top. If not even allowed to move a rock.. I see they did not even bother diving at the 'vents' even though they are now saying these could be flood tunnel entrances. This is quite possibly the most ridiculous speculation they have made about the money pit. There is no way someone from hundreds of years ago tunneled up under the water to make a flood tunnel and they know it... Still all they found was a couple of rocks...

I am surprised they have not even tried to get the wood on the 'slipway' dated. That would seem like a good start to finding how old it is.

Really disappointed that the rest of the dye test results were never shared. That was a pretty pathetic effort of tracing the water to the money pit area.

Overall nothing new added this episode really

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
Anyone else get the feeling that they were a little annoyed at their expert MDer jumping to weapon conclusion and treasure chest hinge?

Could also just be a large wooden deck hatch hinge.

I don't see 1600s as crazy old. There was a ton of people and commerce along the coasts in the 1620s + Heck the population of New Amsterdam exploded with international dealings in the 1620s.

Dzrt1st

Jan 4, 2019
Western Washington
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,
Whites 4900 D/L Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rules on what they can touch in Canada seem over the top. If not even allowed to move a rock..

Agreed. They can't physically touch anything on the bottom yet it's OK to drag a Danforth anchor from the dive boat.:BangHead:

cachenut

Jan 31, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As soon as they said they wanted to follow the drains back to the money pit I thought wait they built a big road over it. So I said they will never dig that roadway up, boy did they surprise me.

As for the rust colored water I also noticed the rust colored water in a previous show from a couple of weeks ago already in the cove from an aerial shot. I suppose with modern movie editing they would just have clips sitting around in the laptop. No guarantee when the shots were made or what show they are in.

Why not just dump fresh dirt back in the pit. Anyway most of it was dug up already!

Fiction needs to be believable to be entertaining. Twice dug relics. Duh.

I guess I need to start searching for the possible truthful information in what they say, ignoring the rest. I expect the whole area is blanketed in snow now so this is file footage.

Show seemed filled with excuses why they could not dig. Not sure where that is headed. No digging in ocean, no digging in money pit area. No digging undisturbed areas, does this include the treasure vault and the french drains if they ever find them.

Yep, this is Joe.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Show seemed filled with excuses why they could not dig. Not sure where that is headed. No digging in ocean, no digging in money pit area. No digging undisturbed areas, does this include the treasure vault and the french drains if they ever find them.

Probably a skeptic at the permit office saying "You want to do what now, and for what reason? DENIED!"

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
3.5 Million Happy Viewers...On This Thread...The Usual 4...Not So's!

Top 25 original cable shows among adults 18-49 for Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Number 1....As Usual...The Curse Of Oak Island!

ShowNetTimeTotal viewers (000s)18-49 rating
CURSE OF OAK ISLANDHISTORY9:00 PM3,4640.8
Unhappy.jpg

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In next week's exclusive preview segment, the announcer began "It is the start of another day on Oak Island" , leaving out the word "exciting" that is sometimes used. It looks like they will get another shot at the Money Pit this season by running a Can down a a new hole officially dubbed "S6" (short for Shaft 6, the one that had collapsed on old searchers).

Also Smith's Cove has been cleared off and the deep metal detector guy came in to mark some hits. Hopefully they are more related to original depositors if they were under something not previously deep-excavated, like the skid path. Otherwise, they're likely to be debris from backfill from previous deep dredge operation.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This week's show picked up with a steady stream of finds coming to light, some different than seen before, such as the hand hewn oak timbers from deep in S6.

There was also an interesting look at pirates and legends in a drilling down episode that I haven't watched yet.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What stood out for me about this weeks episode were a few things. Firstly the lack of anything interesting being found in Smiths Cove. They have now cleaned out all the structures and found virtually nothing new or interesting.

With the amount of building done there I was really expecting more stuff to be found. A couple of crib spikes, an old bucket and hinge... Nothing else.. I suppose some of the 5 targets they MD guy has identified may be something of interest but must say the excavation of Smiths Cove has been pretty disappointing (at least they seemed to have shut up about the cross).

I am also disappointed that we are not going to hear anything more about there dye test. It does make you wonder if they found dye coming out in so many places it disproved the flood tunel idea so they have not told us. It is hard to see why else nothing more has been said about it.

HOW could anyone know about a legend/story of slaves being buried in the pit. What is that based on? I have ever seen anyone document anything about this. Who come up with such speculation with NO EVIDENCE and not even any reason to suspect such a thing... Where did they get this story from? Did they just make it up?

Those old Oak panels from S6 are a pretty amazing statement on how much effort was put into digging a 100+feet back in the 1800s. It must of been so scary when the water started to flood in on the miners back then. The bones are possibly from Maynard Kaiser
Despite exhaustive research, an official record of Maynard Kaiser’s death has never been found. There is, to date, no record of a grave site existing for Maynard Kaiser anywhere in Nova Scotia.
https://www.oakislandcompendium.ca/...llapse-the-mysterious-death-of-maynard-kaiser it is speculated that his body was never recovered from the shaft.

They keep getting excited that the 'rubbish' that they find is an indication of the money pit and treasure. Surely by now the only sign of treasure worth getting excited about now is TREASURE....

An interesting episode that moved quite fast but simply has just shown they still have found NOTHING that even indicates anything was buried in the pit pre searcher...

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOW could anyone know about a legend/story of slaves being buried in the pit. What is that based on?

Not to mention that if it were remotely true, any such chain link would not be broken since the 'slaves' could not have broken free before being buried or flooded.

timex

Nov 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recorded last nights show with a stop time of 3hrs.

Watched last nights episode.

I was impressed with what they are staring to pull out of the hole.

Then right into......The Lost Gold of WW II.

Enjoyed watching the 1st episode.

As I'm FF'ing through the commercials, I see Marty, and Gary Drayton.
I had to go back and watch......

The Curse of Civil War Gold season 2 coming April 23rd.

Marty & the whole gang from O-Island, now have work year round now. lol

Respectfully, tim

cachenut

Jan 31, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still think my notion of a small in size treasure holds. It doesn't take much of a box to hold a vast fortune in gold coins, especially in the 1600s date range. In other words they are having trouble finding the treasure because it is small when compared to the distance down they buried it. The entire oi treasure might be contained in one smallish foot locker sized box. Some people speculate they used the slipway to haul carts of treasure to the vault. Others say there was a vault room constructed to hold all the treasure. Perhaps not.

One thing to check would be early depositors at the US Mint. The mint allowed depositors to put gold and silver into the accounts and get back fresh minted coins. They referred to gold and silver items such as plate as gold furniture. In other words gold items or silver that were not coins would be purified and minted into coins for free. And there were several million dollar accounts in the 1700s. I wonder if there was a match on any of the OI names of diggers or famous masons. I don't remember the names except I seem to recall a Forbes was one of them. The information exists in the US mint archives up in Philly and at other archive locations. Of course it might be Canadian also. The US was not always the center of the world. lol.

I am encouraged by the pit sawn lumber and the leather. But I still think their method will destroy the items they bring up if it has not done so already. Imagine the arc crushed by the hammer grab or the holy grail for that matter. Single coins might survive by sheer luck. Is there a way they can actually hand dig a hole with shovels?? Like an archaeologist would?

Have a wonderful day. Joe.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yet another 3 Stooges like episode (albeit Larry, Curly, and Moe had more talent to entertain).....finding yet more ”COMMON” items associated with common human activity for hundreds of years. I finally thought Jack Beagley was going to burst out laughing after a gawee statement but the camera cut away......

The hoax continues while the writers and actors continue to re-hash the same lines over and over, some from episodes years ago......

Last edited:

Tom Slikes53

Jul 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yet another 3 Stooges like episode (albeit Larry, Curly, and Moe had more talent to entertain).....finding yet more ”COMMON” items associated with common human activity for hundreds of years. I finally thought Jack Beagley was going to burst out laughing after a gawee statement but the camera cut away......

The hoax continues while the writers and actors continue the re-hash the same lines over and over, some from episodes years ago......

I think if you told Jack Beagley he could never leave the island again, he would be perfectly alright with it, he would spend the rest of his life looking for the treasure lol As I said before, as long as they want to keep looking, have the money to do so I'll keep watching and not criticize very much You never know, stranger things have happened. A lot of the metal detecting finds there would be considered the find of their lifetimes by experienced metal detection people,something more going on there of at least some significance...

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of the metal detecting finds there would be considered the find of their lifetimes by experienced metal detection people,...
lol... What have they found that would be considered "A find of a lifetime" All they have found is junk and a few near worthless coins...

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The hoax continues while the writers and actors continue the re-hash the same lines over and over, some from episodes years ago......

More of a Shemp episode

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread