A Very Strange Bug....I Have Never Seen Before...What Is It?

Kathleen Anne

Jan 18, 2018
Grapeview, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCF7614.JPG DSCF7595.JPG DSCF7614.JPG DSCF7619.JPG
I realize there is not really a category for this on Treasurenet.com, but can anyone tell me what this very strange bug is that I found on my car this evening? At first I thought it was a grasshopper, but then realized it wasn't. It doesn't look like any mosquito I have ever seen. It was on my car door for a very long time and then it was gone. I live in Washington State in the Puget Sound region.

OP
OP
K

Kathleen Anne

Jan 18, 2018
Grapeview, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to answer my own question because I think I just figured out that maybe it is a butterfly hatching from its cocoon? Or other similar flying insect...moth, dragonfly? Still not positive though, hoping someone will know.

Upvote 0

john845

Dec 26, 2017
Newburgh ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Class III SL. Spectrum xlt Tesoro Vaquero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my first thought some sort of wasp

Upvote 0

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is also a very cool app you can get from iNaturalist.org. you can upload photos and lots of folks will chime in with IDs. But it's more than that because they use the data for research purposes. The also ID plants.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
We always called them Mosquito Hawks.
Don't think they had anything to do with mosquitos, just their looks and the size of a hawk.

Upvote 0

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to say asian death wasp but i was really about to talk out my ass.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what you have is an Ichneumon wasp, but missing it's "stinger".

Giant Ichneumon Wasps ? North American Insects & Spiders
That's what I couldn't figure out, it's the lack of a stinger that's throwing me off.. I deleted my original post from about 7:00 this morning and posted the link to the short tailed one later. It resembles the long tailed one in markings and color more so than the short tailed one. From what I've read, the "stinger is only used for laying eggs and not for stinging. I tried finding freshly hatched ones but I couldn't find any photos that resembled hers without a stinger. I do think it's a freshly hatched one or the other, long or short tailed.

Upvote 0

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those things started showing up last month after that meteor shower
there is a video on youtube of about 12 of them dancing in unison.

Upvote 0

andygold

Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Charlie P. And Diggummup. Looks like either a Wood Wasp (Giant Ichneumon), or maybe a Parasitic Wasp, but I'm leaning towards the former more than the latter. Each type has many different looks, and colors.

wood_wasp_by_dunadan_from_bag_end-d53b4f9.jpg
images.jpeg
Wood Wasps that I'm familiar with usually have what looks like a stinger that's about 2 to 3 inches long. It's actually not a stinger, but an ovipositor, (egg laying tube), that they use to lay their eggs deep inside these perfectly round holes they chew into trees. The trees look like someone took a 1/8" drill to them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even cooler - they probe deep into wood and lay the egg on a beetle grub. Then the wasp larva eat the beetle grub.

Very beneficial wasps (most are - except the damn yellow jackets/ground wasps) because they eat other insects.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread