What's new

A Wall Hanger Reproduction That Went All Across The USA

monsterrack

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2013
Messages
4,429
Reaction score
5,831
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a call late last night that a lady here in town wanted me to look at a piece she had bought in a Antique shop in Nevada over the holidays. When she described it to me bells and alarms starting going off in my head. Well she brought it by about an hour ago, the people where she got it from told her it could be a 100 yrs old and they believe it was made by Native Americans in Wyoming after all the buffalo had been killed off by the white man and it was called a story skull. She paid $200 for this item. kids on bikes and wall hanger 005.webpkids on bikes and wall hanger 006.webpkids on bikes and wall hanger 007.webpkids on bikes and wall hanger 008.webpI was having a good time with my grandkids till I had to tell this lady the bad news. 20 yrs ago I made this wall hanger for a man in Texas for his ranch décor, it does tell of a buffalo hunt where they ran into bad weather and snakes. When I made this it had fake eagle feathers all over it and sage grass in the eye sockets. The man I made it for sent me the skull and I did the rest, it cost him $50. I posted this to show how something can get put in the market and sold for the real deal. I called the guy I made it for and he said his wife gave it to her brother who is dead now that lived on the east coast near Boston. The lady that bought it has had me look at a lot of other things she buys, knifes, old Chinese points, old roman points and the list could go on. When I told her it was something that I had made, she said well you live and learn and gave it back to me. So this thing went all over the country and now it's back where it was born (it's a small world) I may redo it, but my wife said I can not hang it on the wall, so it may just get stuck in a box.
 
Upvote 0
Cool story! Wonder what the odds were?
 
Sell it again and see if it comes back again:laughing9:
 
This is another sad story about more people getting ripped off . Even though unintentional.Maybe you should engrave your name on it? Ever think of that? It sad to think people are so gullible.
 
It is pretty cool looking. I agree, What are the odds it would find its way back?
 
This is another sad story about more people getting ripped off . Even though unintentional.Maybe you should engrave your name on it? Ever think of that? It sad to think people are so gullible.

I may have to start engraving my name I had signed this one with red pigment, but that was gone and even if I used a engraving tool, a sand blaster can take that off .
 
Was it sold to the lady as a buffalo skull? Thinking about it, you said they told her that it "might" be 100 years old, and "possibly" made by Indians in Montana, so the seller did his CYA. The words "think and possibly" are dead giveaways someone is doing CYA. I know of a guy who has passed away several years ago, that was a great gunsmith. The word on the street was, "Don't buy an antique gun from him." He was good at making cheap guns into expensive ones. There was a fake antique gun he built that I heard out about from someone that knew him. He had one original screw out of a Colt SAA, and he took a repo of the same model, put that screw into the repo, antiqued the pistol, altered serial numbers and sold it as an original. His story was, "I don't think this gun is all original," key word "think," and because he didn't "think" the gun was "all" original, knowing full well it wasn't, he priced it to the gullible consumer considerably less than than what a perfect authentic antique pistol would go for, but considerably more than the repo sold for. Anyhow, the world today is "buyer beware," and plenty of people are perfectly willing to screw you if you let them.
 
Last edited:
...love that story and I'd hang that on my wall ! :)
 
Great story monsterrack!!!! I got a cat like that.....You might offer her to send you a pic before she buys.......I agree with C.Kat i got a place for that bad boy on my wall also.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom