What's new

A what is it..but harry & old digger cant reply :)

TJE

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
1,354
Reaction score
1,159
Golden Thread
0
Location
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A what is it..but harry & old digger can't reply :)

Here's one folks...only a partial fossil very rarely ever found. I know old digger and harry know...but it's for the "fossil hunters" that don't! :) LOL.
 

Attachments

  • 2014-12-30 23.02.45.webp
    2014-12-30 23.02.45.webp
    117.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 2014-12-30 23.01.42.webp
    2014-12-30 23.01.42.webp
    125.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 2014-12-30 22.57.05.webp
    2014-12-30 22.57.05.webp
    124.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 2014-12-30 23.05.17.webp
    2014-12-30 23.05.17.webp
    143 KB · Views: 147
Sorry TGE!

It looks like the tail of the fossil Sea Scorpion.


th.webp
 
LOL, yes it is old digger...but not the smaller one in the drawing (Remipes), but a different genre of the species. ;)
 
Last edited:
State fossil of New York. Good sized one, too. Good spot to return to!

eurypterid-dorsal.webp
 
Last edited:
Yes CP, but this is not a 'Remipes Eurypterid' (New York State fossil)...Just this 4" stinger is longer than an entire body length of most Remipes I've seen..this fella would be a good size,guessing (18-24 inches in length) when compared to one of my larger (complete) Carcinosoma Eurypterid specimens... over 2 ft. in length. ;)
 
Last edited:
Huntress, you can find them if your in the right stone formations old enough (430+ million yrs old) and start splitting stone with hammer and chisels. :)
 
Huntress, you can find them if your in the right stone formations old enough (430+ million yrs old) and start splitting stone with hammer and chisels. :)

what kind of rock do you find most of the fossils like that in? We have mostly limestone formations around here.
 
....I knew ;) Here come the dreams again...lol How awesome to have that, really! :icon_thumleft:
 
what kind of rock do you find most of the fossils like that in? We have mostly limestone formations around here.

Limestone is good, ours is the 'Eramosa formation'. Geology research on your area may help to find the age/names of formation etc. of your area.
 
Okay, I did a little digging in the Eurypterid family and I came up with ''Eurypterus'' (you-rip-teh-rus) sub-species ''E. quebecensis''. Some obtained a length up to 1.3 meters. As with all sub-species of ''Eurypterus'' the size depended upon species and known individual specimens. By the way, they were all carnivorous.


eurypterid_sea_scorpion_ryan_somma_cc_wiki.webp
 
Okay, I did a little digging in the Eurypterid family and I came up with ''Eurypterus'' (you-rip-teh-rus) sub-species ''E. quebecensis''. Some obtained a length up to 1.3 meters. As with all sub-species of ''Eurypterus'' the size depended upon species and known individual specimens. By the way, they were all carnivorous.


View attachment 1101766

Ha...don't tell CK that old digger! ;) ....But, these eurypterid drawings have eyes, no curved telson (stinger) and swimming appendages (paddles) with too many "joints" between the body and the end paddles! ;)
...See what you can find out about a "Rhino carcinosoma"!! ;)
 
Last edited:
To late TJE.....thanks old digger :icon_pale:, first TJE & now you...lol And, always at night time...;)
 
...all is forgiven.....:angel1:...or at least I think so, we'll see how I feel in the morning....:laughing7:
 
...all is forgiven.....:angel1:...or at least I think so, we'll see how I feel in the morning....:laughing7:

Hahaha!.....Priceless!!!..for everything else...there's Mastercard!...:)
 
E. quebecensis has 6 raised scales, the one in the photo has more. Could not find a photo of E. quebecensis. Will look up ''Rhino carcinosoma''.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom