Adding More Air...?

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea that's the problem with Dahlke, I tried talking to them about that years ago and the pulleys are wrong. They've had a lot of compressor - air problems because the pulleys need to be 2 to 1 on the ratio. I don't remember what size it was on the inside but get a tape measure and measure it. It should be 2" from outside edge to outside edge. Then 2 x 2 = 4" pulley for the T80. When I got mine I remember reducing it to a 5" but that was on his compressor that didn't have enough air either. If you run the motor maxed it's 3600rpm /so divided by 2 = 1800rpm -if you run max throttle. So if you're only running your throttle at ¾ then you will need an even smaller pulley on the T80 but for max air that will lock you in to running at that rpm unless you take the different pulleys and belts with you needed to run maxed out. Personally I run maxed out for the best through put on my dredges. I run a 9hp HP500 on my 4" Proline and it will break fingers :)

DSCF0031.JPG

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How would you demonstrate the tension. Start it up and push down on the belt in the center with an end wrench large enough to hang onto. The longer the distance, the more belt slap, just put a tensioner on it and eliminate the problem.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I built my own tensioner for my previously owned 4 inch dredge and using a belt tensioner will prolong the life of your belt. all that flopping around tends to wear out the belt prematurely! they are EZ to make!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pulley mount on the engine are problematic as expansion/contraction/vibration tough on engines. Example is the hot water heaters that hang off the head and kills engines and tears out the threads. Hold a t-80 by your side for a couple of minutes-then hold out in front and jump up and down a few times and to thy own self be true as physics are undisputable. John

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Reed is right about the pulley sizes. If I remember right I was going to change the compressor pulley to a 4" but after the one time out with my brother in law I didn't have the need again so I left it alone. No need to run the compressor faster just for me. I think your compressor is a T80B although all the parts are the same except I believe the reed valves are stainless on the T80B.

Last edited:

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Jesse, also make sure your second regulator is set up for hookah. Different springs than for scuba. If not a dive shop can set it up.

OP
OP
425jesse

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Doug, you mean for "low pressure" right?

OP
OP
425jesse

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Reed! How many gallon keg is that on the back of the mini?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
ALWAYS check / clean your breathing system and components! Don't ever leave your equipment stored away without doing a complete clean up and sanitizing of the entire system. Im posting this because of (on another site) a man said his air on his dredge was slowly getting harder to breath! as he finnaly checked it out it was full of Moldy bacteria .BLACK SLIMMY MOLD. he ended up buying new hose/regulator/filters ETC> and on rerunning the system (without sanitizing it) his filter got black again! NO TELLING WHAT HIS LUNGS LOOK LIKE! so be carefull and check it out and clean it when your done for the time your using it. I like to use Listerine mouth wash to help sanitize my system and to wipe out my mask! Better to be safe than sorry!

OP
OP
425jesse

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good looking out russau. Thank you for the great reminder! Gotta clean the gear every time. Cheers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread