adopting the british Portable Antiquities Scheme .

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would adopting the Portable Antiquities Scheme used by the uk be good for both florida treasurehunters and the state of florida? I have pasted a brief description of there system and a link that I copied from a blog that im sure most of you are familier with. my first impression is that this would be great for both treasurehunters and florida archeologists but I do not trust those in power to run the system the way british do. if enough of us decided to push for this system or one tailored to floridas treasures im sure we could get it done!! my thinking is it would open a lot of sites to the average joe treasurehunter and professional salvors, promote cooperation between treasurehunters and archeologists and very much simplify things. your opinions are very much appreciated!!!

" First of all, they provide a network of reporting centers, many of which are in museums. The reporting centers provide assistance in helping finders identify their finds and then log data into a database for all finds that meet the criteria. They widely publish procedures so people know what to do and where to go when they find something that might be of significance.
The British system does not claim everything and anything imaginable. The British want to see found items not considered to be "treasure" so they can log it, but unlike Florida, they make no claim to it unless it meets the criteria to be defined as "treasure." The staff will determine if the item might be important. The staff may ask for permission to further study the item. You would receive a receipt for anything you leave with them and they will not make information about you or your find public if you do not want them to. They will keep private the exact location of finds, but academic researchers can receive information and detailed grid references.
They cite the purpose of the Portable Antiquities Scheme as making "...as much of the information as widely available as possible, while protecting archaeological sites from damage." The Portable Antiquities Recording Scheme is entirely voluntary and encourages people to report their finds.
For more detailed information on the Portable Antiquities Scheme and the Treasure Act (discussed below), here is a link.

Welcome to the Portable Antiquities Scheme website

(The site also has some other neat information that you might want to look at.)
They define "treasure" to include objects that are at least 10% gold or silver AND are AT LEAST 300 years old when found. This to me is key. It does not include everything and anything that might be found up to the present day and does not include items that may belong to or be traced to living persons. Treasure is also defined to include items associated with the above, for example containers.
Items less than 300 years old are included if they are made substantially of gold or silver, were "buried with the intention of recovery and their owner or their heirs cannot be traced."
Treasure also includes prehistoric objects made of base-metal up to and including the Iron Age.
Single coins found on their own are not considered to be "treasure." Neither are unworked natural objects or objects when the owner can be traced.
Objects from the foreshore (between the high and low tide line) that come from a wreck, fall under another category and are governed by laws relating to salvage of wrecks. Objects found on the foreshore that do not come from a wreck may be defined as treasure if they meet the criteria.
Finders are reminded that under section 8 of the Act they are required to report only the objects they believe, or have reasonable grounds for believing; to be treasure. If in any doubt finders are advised to seek expert advice.
If the find is declared to be Treasure then it will be valued, on behalf of the Department of Culture Media and Sport (DCMS), by a committee of independent experts. If there are no objections to this valuation, DCMS will invoice the museum wishing to acquire the object and on receipt of payment will pay the finder a reward. The level of this reward will be set by the coroner, but will not exceed the independent experts' valuation.
If the find is declared not to be Treasure, or if no museum wishes to acquire it, then it will be disclaimed. The coroner will then notify all interested parties, such as the owner of the land where the object was found, of his intention to return the find to the finder. If no objections are raised to this then the find will be returned.
I am no an expert on this and have not described all details fully and accurately. I simply believe that the above presents many good elements. I think it would result in a good relationship between the public and academics, encourage cooperation, promote the gathering and information."

Standard......

Hi All:
I think this would work out great not just in Florida but every state, what I would love to see it applied as a UN standard internationally....
Much is lost ether to development or lazy archaeologists who think Mexico and Egypt are the cradle of findings, just a couple of months ago it was reported that wile building a road in Belize, a construction crew destroyed a small pyramid stone structure.

Belizean government vows probe after road crew destroys Mayan pyramid

Read more: Belizean government vows probe after road crew destroys Mayan pyramid | Fox News

How about petitioning the White House all we need is 100.000 signature's to establish the same rules nationally.....

Hi All:
I think this would work out great not just in Florida but every state, what I would love to see it applied as a UN standard internationally....
Much is lost ether to development or lazy archaeologists who think Mexico and Egypt are the cradle of findings, just a couple of months ago it was reported that wile building a road in Belize, a construction crew destroyed a small pyramid stone structure.
Belizean government vows probe after road crew destroys Mayan pyramid
Read more: Belizean government vows probe after road crew destroys Mayan pyramid | Fox News
How about petitioning the White House all we need is 100.000 signature's to establish the same rules nationally.....

thanks, I guess theres not much interest from my fellow florida hunters. maybe it will take a little while to get noticed but I think this could be done.
chuck.

thanks, I guess theres not much interest from my fellow florida hunters. maybe it will take a little while to get noticed but I think this could be done.
chuck.

Chuck,
I think you might get a better response in General Discussions or the metal detecting forums. The trouble with the Shipwreck forum may be the permitting for salvage and the necessary silence involved with underwater exploration. The state has a real bad history of turning down permits while making the sites historical archeological sites with some trumped up reason justifying their actions. I think as the effort gathers momentum, folks will eventually jump on the bandwagon.

It absolutely could be done. However, our legislators have failed to embrace any such idea previously and have starved the DHR for money. There are many reasons leading to these results that I would not want to elaborate on here, but, I think we would all be amazed to see the stuff found on shore just along the 1715 fleet wrecks, for example.

Last edited:
john and terry, I have the same concerns as you do! ......"be careful what you ask for, you might just get it"! as I said before, I do not trust the powers that be and would be worried that if a significant find is reported the state would shut the site down and keep it for themselves which usually means the artifacts would never be saved. if the state would be prevented from doing this by specific language/wording, that might be prevented.

if real cooperation and trust between the state and treasurehunters could eventually be achieved that would be beneficial for all. as it is now, many finds and sites might go unreported because everyone knows what might happen if they are reported.

a bill just passed which states you may not pick up a arrowhead or manmade artifact from state lands including submerged......ridiculous!

I recently read that your not supposed to disturb the sand while metal detecting in the water at the beach,........ridiculous!!!!!

your not allowed to keep any item over 50 years old found on state lands/submerged lands,.........ridiculous!!!!

so........the british and many others have more freedoms than we do,........ridiculous!!!!!

lots more I could say here but I wont!
chuck

Last edited:
If it makes sense and is fair, it will most certainly never become law here in the US........our gov at every level has been corrupted and taken over by evil.

In Florida more than than anywhere else in the United States, there is a dire need for such a Portable Antiquities Scheme Bill/Law to be enacted and one which will override all other such Bills and Laws such as the Florida Keys being designated as a Maritime Sanctuary! Florida has long had a history of enacting Bills and Laws that either benefits it's own Coffers, lines pockets with rare shipwreck finds for political favors or both and so much more. Just go back to when Mel Fisher found the Atocha, the State of Florida claimed title to the wreck and forced Fisher into a contract giving 25% of the found treasure to the state. After eight years of litigation, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favor of Fisher on July 1, 1982. However, during this time of litigation, items from the Atocha were removed from where they were locked down and as far as I know, were never returned to Mel or to his' heirs. It is the Duty of the State of Florida and of the United States Government (i.e. the Repesentatives, Congress men & women, Senators, the Legislature, Courts, etc., etc.) to secure and protect our' lands, our' shores and waters which includes Territorial Waters but is not their' right to hold Imminient Domain over the same as these belong to the people and as such, the people should have the right to have access to these and the treasures that they hold! I don't mean that there should be a free-for-all to bring up or dig up items from shipwrecks or have archaelogical value to the people but mean that the search and retrieval of these items should be our' right and it should be the right of the people to see these things in Museum settings via the Portable Antiquities Scheme. And with this scheme, the individuals and businesses that search for and retrieve these items, should have an avenue by which they are compensated not really as a reward but as a compensation for the time, research, labor and equipment that went into bringing these items to the surface where they can be viewed and appreciated in Museum type settings!

As previously stated, this is a scheme that should be enacted worldwide through a U.N. Mandate and agreed upon by all countries! However, if nothing else, this scheme should become Law in each and every State of the Union here in the United States of America. There is too much History laying under the surface of the lands and seas that may never see the light of day again and will never be viewed and appreciated by the Public!

Just my thoughts on this matter!

Frank

Last edited:
Good Thoughts,huntsman53...

Someone on this forum pursued Florida a few years ago and asked them to show them the artifacts they have acquired over the years. They were waiting on a response. Forgive me, but I don't recall who it was - bikerlawyer?

When I lived in the UK, there was very little to worry about when detecting - as long as you had permission from say the farmer whose field you are in, and if you were lucky enough to dig up say, a dozen Roman Gold coins, you had NO worries about declaring them!!

If I was in the UK now, and finding the stuff that I'm finding - I could sleep easy at night!!

see this too;

I found Roman coins worth £100,000... 20 minutes after buying first metal detector: Novice unearths 'nationally significant' find during first treasure hunt | Mail Online

Someone on this forum pursued Florida a few years ago and asked them to show them the artifacts they have acquired over the years. They were waiting on a response. Forgive me, but I don't recall who it was - bikerlawyer?

I am sure that they will be waiting until Hell freezes over for a response!

Frank

In the UK, the FREEDOM OF IMFORMATION ACT allows you to request any document / info from any Govt dept - and they have to oblige unless its a case of National Security.

In the UK, the FREEDOM OF IMFORMATION ACT allows you to request any document / info from any Govt dept - and they have to oblige unless its a case of National Security.

We have the sme rights here but this is so much more easily accomplished if the Media gets involved and makes the request! For requests by individuals, they tend to stone wall and pass the buck.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back