After all these years, finally silver!

cougar14

Aug 6, 2017
Concord
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been detecting coming up on 5 years, successful enough to purchase an Equinox 800 mostly from finds from my ole Garrett Ace 400. As best I can remember, I've found around 2100 quarters, 1500 dimes, maybe 200 nickels, uncounted pennies, 4 Kennedy halves and 6 dollar coins, until yesterday. Got a solid 27, dug around 4 inches, looked like a little light was shining on it. A 1956 Rosie.
I understand finding silver in California is not expected to be productive, but Jeez, all these dudes who post they find silver every time they go out makes me go hmmm. Not saying I don't believe you, but..... It's still fun every time I get out.

Upvote 26

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured with the Gold Rush Starting in the Sacramento Valley in 1848, there’d be a lot more gold coins posted from California. That’d be a treat to find one there! Congrats on the Silver & the Nox!!!!

HeatherM

Apr 12, 2020
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you...been hitting an 1815 house for a year now hard and not a silver in site. Yet others go to the site they've pounded for twenty years and still find five silvers in a day?? What the heck! Congrats on yours!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took me about 4 years or so to find my first silver coin.

You have to be in a spot that actually had a silver coin In the ground.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations my friend you have paid your dues so I know that Rosie is very special. Again congratulations. My two number sis are the barber quarter and a large cent. I know poor me LOL

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt long gone rural farms. Definite shortage of silver on those sites. At this point, one thin dime would thrill me. Gary

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first silver Cougar- a major milestone!! Mine was a 61-D Rosie back in 1991. They're still out there and that Nox will help you find the next one and more- Continued success to you!

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt mostly civil war relics and old house sites. I bet I've found no more than a dozen silver coins in 30 years of detecting.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver coin :icon_thumright:
You didn't mention how many wheat ear pennies you've. A general rule of thumb is 1 silver for every 10 wheats. If you're not digging wheats, you're unlikely to dig silver.

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from a few hours south of you in Fresno. I can definitely tell you that the silvers are still out there here in California. Over the last few years I have pulled over 30, including a Morgan, from just one local park. It’s all about location, location, location. Do your research and target those old areas where folks frequented in 1964 or earlier and you will find silver, especially with your NOX. Good luck!

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i grew up on a acre ,my family lived here for 50 plus years,i only found a 46 merc .my mom said you dont think that we just threw money in the yard do you.but i did find some of my lost toys.
brad

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
....I understand finding silver in California is not expected to be productive, but Jeez, all these dudes who post they find silver every time they go out makes me go hmmm. Not saying I don't believe you, but..... It's still fun every time I get out.

Congrats on your first silver. As others have said, research and location are key. Maybe getting private permissions will help. As for scoring silver every time, maybe that happens for some, but certainly not for me. While most of my posted hunts feature silver, my 20-50 nonposted searches in between had none. You have great detectors, so keep swinging. Look forward to seeing more of your finds.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I've been out twice now without finding silver. Dang it...

Grats on the first. Put it in a coin holder and mark it first as you are going to find sooo many that it will get mixed up. I know this becasue I dug my first silver, a 54d rosie, I believe, back in 1984.

They really do come easier once you get the monkey off your back. I don't doubt that as long as you're going to older spots where it's possible to find, that you'll have #2 before you get another 3 or 4 hunts in.

HH ALL

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing fighting us all, a lot of those silver coins have been sucked up by previous detectorists. I'm finding more and more, no matter how remote or "unknown" i think the site is, most have been hit by detectorists already. I'm finding the tell tale signs, little piles of iron bits piled up by trees, lack of any high and even mid tones, even dug plugs and holes.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job on the clad, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am disheartened if I don't get an 1800s copper coin ( Indians are acceptable) or a silver coin every time I go out but you won't find me in the tot lot or the park lol. i stick to old sites unless I just need to dig because the weather is perfect. With the bugs and the heat and the farm fields planted I can't do much now but I did get a 64 quarter Saturday and a few more I need to look at closely. That said all that clad could probably buy you more silver than i find. Going back to the places I've found silver before is the best way to find more silver. I am blessed that theres so much history in Maryland but there are also a lot of detectorists here.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your first silver and the upgrade in machines.

Machine/location/experience will determine a lot of times what comes out of the ground.

Parks get redone- look at the tree trucks-if they all look like power poles sticking in the ground, well the landscaping has done that.
If the ground slopes away from the trunk, that shows there's been less/no fill.

The biggest factor is everyone that has owned a machine that lives around that same piece of turf has been looking at it/detecting it for the past 50yrs.

Just have to think out of the box-it really ups the #'s of silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread