calamitan

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
My Eyes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found these amazing rocks in a stream near my house. The problem is, I live in an area where agates are NOT found ever that I know of, and they were all found within 400 feet of each other (I found 4 specimens all roughly baseball sized). I live in southeastern Michigan but Lake Superior agates (as far as I know) were not glaciated to this region. Please help!

I've included the best specimen (in terms of likeness to an agate). It has clear quartz bands running through and small pink bubbles as you can see in the zoomed in picture on one side.
IMG_1189.PNG
IMG_1187.JPG

Also, I found this one close by. It has these strange (I believe quartz) partial geodes along the outside, most white and one black. Then, as you turn it on its side, there are definite red, white, and yellow brown banding. They are much more apparent when wet.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be Jasper, or Agate. The glaciers brought a lot of that stuff further south that what the State Geologic Survey says. It happens all the time with Academic/Scientific institutions (if they haven't found it, then it isn't there kind of stuff). Nice pull

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

calamitan

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
My Eyes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone! Upon further inspection this morning, I found something really exciting on the large rock. IMG_1213.PNG IMG_1213.PNG IMG_1204.JPG IMG_1204.JPG
Look at those bands!

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I checked out your other Thread and it looks like you have some agates and possibly jasper/agate together along with a variety of other metamorphic/sedimentary type rocks. Your location and especially your' stream may have received a massive amount of different types of rocks and minerals when the glaciers moved south out of Canada but I wonder if there may have been some current or previous volcanic activity within a few hundred miles or so before the material was pushed into your area. Who knows what you might find there rock-wise and mineral-wise. You might want to get a Gold Pan, then dig really deep in the stream, pan the material out and see if you might have some Gold, gems and maybe even Diamonds. You could be sitting on a treasure trove of valuable minerals and rocks and don't know it!

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions