What's new

Age of this axe head?

testing123

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,986
Golden Thread
0
Location
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Found this at a site with relics ranging from the 1700s to today. Any idea of its age? It measures about 6 1/2" long and is about 5" at its widest point. I haven't tried cleaning it at all yet.

Thanks for any help!
 

Attachments

  • 100_1236resized.webp
    100_1236resized.webp
    31.4 KB · Views: 252
  • resizedaxeup.webp
    resizedaxeup.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 263
I think you would be safe calling that 1700s...nice iron!
 
Upvote 0
I dont know if this helps. I dont see the shape. I think it needs to be cleaned to see if its hand forged /bent over..
 

Attachments

  • axes.webp
    axes.webp
    36.5 KB · Views: 247
  • axes.webp
    axes.webp
    36.5 KB · Views: 240
Upvote 0
That shape of axehead seems to be used in earlier shipbuilding/beam making. That's why one side of the axehead is flat, from the research I've done. One of my first old finds was one just like it!
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Replies
5
Views
831
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any ideas?
Replies
4
Views
573

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom