🥇 BANNER AHABS WHITE WHALE: 1652 PINE TREE & 1664 COB

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day! I woke up very early and headed out. Had to stop for a 9 volt at a local store. There was a cop car sitting there with the number 8 on the side. I am extremely superstitious and 8 is my lucky number. In fact, I'm so superstitious that if I set an alarm or the microwave it has to end in 8. And when I go detecting I won't get out of my truck until the time ends in 8. Ok now that you all know how psychotic I am I can get to the finds. I got into the woods and instantly got lost. Lost for about 2 hours and my phone had no reception so I couldn't use google earth. I finally got myself oriented and got into the area I wanted to be in. The finds came slow but there was no modern trash so that was nice. I got a couple of deep round balls the found nothing about an hour. I decided I was going to just get down by the water and walk the edge. I've had some luck doing this in the past. Barely any signals at all. At one point the edge of the bank gave way and down I went. Got myself back up the hill and realized my setting had gotten screwed up. So I got my machine set up again and a couple minutes later I got a deep signal. Not a very good signal. But I dug a couple inches off the top and scanned it again. It sounded much better after that. I dug a nice big plug and it was still down below. Finally I got ahold of the object and pulled it out. I don't want to sound over dramatic here but some dirt fell off the coin and I could clearly see the branches of the tree. I swear I couldn't breath for a few seconds. I knew I had just dug Lifetime #1. On my wish list. It's a feeling that I can't put into words and for anybody who's felt it....well it's just incredible. Put that baby in my keeper case and finally regained my composure. I took a few steps and got another deep signal. Once I fought through the roots for about 20 minutes I got my fingers on a very thin disc. I pulled it out and had no idea what it was. I thought I could see a design but just packed it into another keeper case and carried on. A few minuts later I found a copper coin and a very old button.
I know how stupid this is going to sound but I'm gonna tell you guys anyway. After about 20 minutes I honestly had to look in my case because I just could not believe what I had just found. After I got home I emailed IP for some advice. He graciously helped me with some advice and a bit later and put both of the coins in lemon juice. I could not believe that the other mystery disc was a 1664 cob, another lifetime wish list find. And I am so damn happy to have a hammered coin in my collection.
Today was an absolute dream come true and the pay off for tons of research and lots of hours hiking through the woods digging holes. I'm glad I was able to share this day with my Tnet friends. You've all been very supportive.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 172

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, they have found another Abe. That de-values yours down to a couple bucks, but I will give you $7 so you don't feel so bad😗

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah seeing this really helps to put that coin in perspective. That coin was old and special during the time of Paul Revere and Sam Adams.... Pretty amazing

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah seeing this really helps to put that coin in perspective. That coin was old and special during the time of Paul Revere and Sam Adams.... Pretty amazing

The article I read said there were about 2 dozen coins. And out of those the 1652 Pinetree is the one they spoke of in the article. You said it Abe, puts it in perspective. Such an impressive save! Very happy for you!!! Besides being 360 plus years old, it was held in high esteem during the days of Paul Revere and Sam Adams like you said!! Especially since Paul Revere was also a Silversmith, he obviously considered this coin to be of monumental importance and it was a mere youngster then!!!!!!!!!!!! SPECTACULAR FIND BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's amazing is that Abe's pine tree shilling is in better condition than the one stashed 220 years ago! Really puts the incredible condition of his coin in perspective.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's amazing is that Abe's pine tree shilling is in better condition than the one stashed 220 years ago! Really puts the incredible condition of his coin in perspective.

I'm sure many in the general public find that story quite interesting, but would likely be fascinated in the fact a person can go out and find one that may have been hid away for 350 years. Even to this day I still think that's pretty incredible when I sit back and think about it.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AHABS WHITE WHALE: 1652 PINE TREE & 1664 COB

Sorry

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure many in the general public find that story quite interesting, but would likely be fascinated in the fact a person can go out and find one that may have been hid away for 350 years. Even to this day I still think that's pretty incredible when I sit back and think about it.

I think for me it's the fact that some silver items that have been in the ground for hundreds of years can clean up so well. Kinda sad that our coins disintegrate in 30 years

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed , Ahabs Dream Hunt ! Moby the White Whale Dick , didn't get the Ahab this time .

DAWG

Last edited:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's because's Abe's was probably lost when it was relatively new while the one Samuel Adams and Paul Revere stashed away was in active circulation for 100, maybe even 140+ years. The fact that the pine tree coin was already close to 150 years old in 1795 just blows my mind.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's because's Abe's was probably lost when it was relatively new while the one Samuel Adams and Paul Revere stashed away was in active circulation for 100, maybe even 140+ years. The fact that the pine tree coin was already close to 150 years old in 1795 just blows my mind.

I do have a theory about the condition. There was a serious attack on this settlement in 1675. Lots of settlers killed and all the structures torched. I've always had the idea in my head that these could have been lost at this point in history. I'm sure this one very chaotic event was the source of lots of individual loss....life, homes, heirlooms, coins and relics.
Of course I have no idea and I could me way off. But I've always picture some colonist scrambling for his life to get over the bank where I found it and down to the rivers edge to seek some sort of refuge. Or perhaps this guy was just out with his family having a picnic on the waters edge. Very hard to say but regardless I do believe that these were likely lost at or prior to this event in 1675.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do have a theory about the condition. There was a serious attack on this settlement in 1675. Lots of settlers killed and all the structures torched. I've always had the idea in my head that these could have been lost at this point in history. I'm sure this one very chaotic event was the source of lots of individual loss....life, homes, heirlooms, coins and relics.
Of course I have no idea and I could me way off. But I've always picture some colonist scrambling for his life to get over the bank where I found it and down to the rivers edge to seek some sort of refuge. Or perhaps this guy was just out with his family having a picnic on the waters edge. Very hard to say but regardless I do believe that these were likely lost at or prior to this event in 1675.

We're blown away by finding such a thing but can you only imagine how insane it would have sounded if he could have been told the rest of the story... who would find it, how, and when... never mind trying to explain that it made the T-net banner. :laughing7:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

On how a coin or two seem to be in a location one can only dream of the reasons till the cows come home. On how your two were along the bank it could be one many of what's been stated already some of which I would of never considered. I only get to the point of simple reasons of just a case of a fellow taking a dump and it spilling out of the pocket when the pants are pulled up, or sleeping and they roll out of the bed roll when packing up in the morning, having a fling with the damsel along the rivers edge, in a drunken stupor and were lost. Their loss and hundreds of years later your banner save Abe, and you are the fortunate one to be awakening history on this find and giving a new perspective on the find.

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder that about old coins. I have one coin that was lost prior to the revolution, and I guarantee the british stopped by the front door 15' away from where I found this coin.

In Abe's case, that 6 shilling I believe was a decent chunk of change at that time. A person could have been running away with their savings during the carnage and dropped one. Or a romantic picnic. Or a fight. Or just an unromantic hole in the pocket.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it's fun to think of the possibilities. I can only imagine the chaos of being attacked while your sleeping and waking to screams and your neighbors home burning. People being killed and folks running for there lives. You would have to imagine that some never had a chance to try to grab their valuables or anything for that matter. Others may have had time to grab a few things. The problem with this place is that there was nowhere to go except into the water. Two rivers fork at this spot and the land forms the point that separates the two. The things these people went through always amazes me. One of my ancestors came to my area in 1718 and around 1720 was coming across the bay with his wife and newborn when he saw the smoke. His home was burning and his livestock was killed. He and a party of men snuck up the river in two separate whale boats that night and came upon the spot that the natives were sleeping. They had their revenge. Sadly the two groups weren't that different. They were both trying to defend what they believed belonged to them. Sadly it was the greedy rich proprietors that reaped all the benefits while the natives and the settlers were at war. Some people believe that all of the white settlers were terrible people that stole land from the natives. It's not quite that simple. They were poor people from Ireland and Scotland looking for a new start in a better place than they were(not so different from today). They were given some misinformation from the rich politicians and proprietors of the day. Sent up here to a place where they could start over. Raise kids, grow crops, build new homes and lives. They weren't told that they were essentially stealing property from others. I have learned an awful lot digging into my families history. It's fascinating stuff and I feel that it's important for us all to learn where we came from

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're blown away by finding such a thing but can you only imagine how insane it would have sounded if he could have been told the rest of the story... who would find it, how, and when... never mind trying to explain that it made the T-net banner. :laughing7:

What an interesting thing to think about. Now that would be difficult to wrap ones head around. I think when you got to the Tnet Banner part....they'd be putting you in the loony bin lol

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still say that you should send it in to PCGS for the works, Abe. Too valuable and too rare not to, in my honest opinion. Slabbing validates the condition, which can not be disputed, and it also preserves it from any further handling and damage. Just saying, brother.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DUDE! that's freakin amazing! congrats and happy new year!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread