Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our moderators have been busy this evening, getting caught up on some incredible and well-deserving Banner recognitions.....
Congratulations to all of you....
The variety of finds proves that treasure presents itself in many forms....
How lucky are we as members to share these good fortunes with each other!

May all of our finds be keepers, and if it doesn’t make it up top, maybe the next one will!

Happy Hunting!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
yea there has been a lot lately maybe one day i will git one

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I too was happy to see the updated banner. Gets very annoying to see the constant lobbying for banner and constant thread bumping in Today's Finds to keep those posts trending at the top. Well done Mods!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never voted banner more than I have the last month or two. Incredible amount of awsome banner worthy finds lately. Keep it up guys !! What an awesome site !!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gets very annoying to see the constant lobbying for banner and constant thread bumping in Today's Finds to keep those posts trending at the top. Well done Mods!

Understandable, though it is warranted with certain finds as they get buried so fast on the finds page. Certain times a post will be on the bottom or on page two by the next day, so it's basically gone without the exposure it justly deserves.
Some folks post and they don't reply much to the comments, while others will bump up the find as slides to depths of the page. Certain folks feel passionate about a certain find that has been posted and they'll bump it/keep it alive and try to give it as much merit as they can.
Over the years I've seen great finds slide away without ever getting up there on the Banner only having a few comments, then there are regular everyday silvers/coppers/relics tat get 5-7 pages of exposure of comments, go figure.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yes. It's an un-enviable job having to sort through hundreds of posts per day, sizing up votes. Because there are SO many good show & tells that how up every single day. And you CAN'T grant the status for too many, lest it start to lack it's top-notch-placement allure. Ie.: "grade inflation".

It's been criticized that there has sometimes been seemingly arbitrary process. But putting yourself in the mod's shoes: If there ever WAS a "defined" process (eg.: value, length of accompanying story, # of votes, size of pictures, blah blah blah), then those would be steps that could simply be manipulated by anyone who wants the grade. In school, they call that "studying to the test", rather than really learning the subject.

They can't go by value alone. Because, let's be honest: A $10k rolex could be found in a sand box at a modern park. They can't go by story alone, because, let's be honest: A great show & tell play-by-play can be spun about a common merc. They can't go by object and story alone: There has to be some participation level of the person. Lest they be someone who's simply popped on for a one-time-post. And the final status can't be granted too often, lest it start to be something that readers just gloss over and simply another forum section of 'ho-hum'.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I would wholeheartedly disagree that potential banner finds don't make it for lack of exposure. One of the recent Banners is posted in the Native American forum where it received minimal exposure, less than 10 comments and perhaps one banner vote. I've seen this occur many times over the years.

I have no doubt that the moderators scour all of the forums for picks.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes. It's an un-enviable job having to sort through hundreds of posts per day, sizing up votes. Because there are SO many good show & tells that how up every single day. And you CAN'T grant the status for too many, lest it start to lack it's top-notch-placement allure. Ie.: "grade inflation".

It's been criticized that there has sometimes been seemingly arbitrary process. But putting yourself in the mod's shoes: If there ever WAS a "defined" process (eg.: value, length of accompanying story, # of votes, size of pictures, blah blah blah), then those would be steps that could simply be manipulated by anyone who wants the grade. In school, they call that "studying to the test", rather than really learning the subject.

They can't go by value alone. Because, let's be honest: A $10k rolex could be found in a sand box at a modern park. They can't go by story alone, because, let's be honest: A great show & tell play-by-play can be spun about a common merc. They can't go by object and story alone: There has to be some participation level of the person. Lest they be someone who's simply popped on for a one-time-post. And the final status can't be granted too often, lest it start to be something that readers just gloss over and simply another forum section of 'ho-hum'.

What he said:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread