All around detector to include the beach???

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
My girlfriend accompanied me to the beach for a little detecting and her Whites Prizm 2 didn't stand a chance on the ocean beach. She would like something for the parks and beach mostly. It appears that the Whites M6 may be a fine match for her. Simple and not overly expensive and appears to be able to manage what she wants to do. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

Upvote 0
Can't say I've had the pleasure of trying out an M6, but seriously thinking of this one as my next detector.
I too hunt parks, but need to get to the beach during the winter months. My Prizm IV doesn't cut it at the beach on the wet sand.
The White's Classic 5 seems reasonable for the price and includes beach tracking, but seems a bit dated and looks heavy.

Just as a recomendation I would seriously check into a new/used Minelab Sovereign or Musketeer before making your final decision. Im not sure the Whites M6 is going to satisfy your needs. I do ALOT of beach hunting and see a wide variety of detectors used and have talked to alot of the guys using them. As soon as they see me with my Minelab they all say that it will be there NEXT detector. Im not saying the M6 wont get the job done, it may very well in dry sand, but I would want to field test in wet sand before I made a decision, also I didnt read if the coil can be submerged?. I can take my Sovereign anywhere and use it, dry sand, wet sand, water up to the control, parks, fields, etc.. and not experience any problems at all, its just a good all around detector. My ONLY drawback is the weight, but Ive got a bag to carry the control box so now I can hunt for hours without fatigue at all....
Again, thats my only experience/suggestion, price wise your in the same ballpark though. :coffee2: :thumbsup:

the Musketeer is a good land detector,but is no better than any other single freq detector when it comes to wet salt sand.single freq detectors just dont performe well on salt sand.if you ever plan to hunt salt water beach you best stick to any of the Sovereing's and i like the GT the best of all of them.if you like Whites,then the BHID is a good choice,just not as deep as the Sovereign.if you like Fisher the CZ20/21 is a great detector.if you like Tesoro the Tiger Shark is a good detector just not as deep as the Sovereign.so there are a few that will do the job,just some better than others. good luck!

Dixie hit it on the head. If your going to only be hunting wet sand for the beach, you can not beat the Sovereign GT, and it is a great land detector. Less then knee deep at the beach you will never beat the Sovereign GT, combine it with a WOT coil and you have a beach vaccum..... If you ever find one that has been custom water proof grab it, they are few and far between but they are fantastic in the surf...

You can also consider the Whites Beach Hunter ID for less money, a good land and water combo....

[size=13pt]For land, fresh water and salt water you just can't beat the light weight and deep seeking DetectorPro HeadHunter Wader. This is a great machine for the money. There is no control box to worry about as everything is in the headset. Controls on one side and batteries on the other. This unit is absolutely hot on small silver. I have never found so many dimes as I have with my Wader compared to other units I've owned.

Another great thing about this detector is that it's a VLF and not a PI. You can descriminate out the junk you don't want, especially at the beach. You no longer have to worry about nails, pieces of iron, bobbie pins and other small trash. Just hunt for the good stuff.

snoopywithphonescableframe.jpg

Warning salt water can give a detector fits just because it has a beach mode does not
mean it is great in the wet I'm talking in general don't know about the M6 READ READ READ

Warning if a detector says it can be hip mounted here is a reason thy are heavy

Many water detectors have a coil hard wired u cant change it

Just because someone says brand x is great for them does not mean its great for her

Talk to locals in your area try some then READ SOMEMORE Luck Mike

Well, some good input here, I appreciate it. I am going to try and get her out to a MD store this weekend, as I need a new set of headphones for mine anyway. Thanks again.

Treasure_Hunter said:
Dixie hit it on the head. If your going to only be hunting wet sand for the beach, you can not beat the Sovereign GT, and it is a great land detector. Less then knee deep at the beach you will never beat the Sovereign GT, combine it with a WOT coil and you have a beach vaccum..... If you ever find one that has been custom water proof grab it, they are few and far between but they are fantastic in the surf...

You can also consider the Whites Beach Hunter ID for less money, a good land and water combo....

Treaure Hunter,
What is a WOT coil?
~Detectit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back