What's new

Is a Pi machine deeper than a Multi frequency detector on a mild to moderate beach in 2026?

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
5,412
Reaction score
12,055
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I’m putting modern simultaneous multi-frequency detectors head-to-head against pulse induction units, including the White's TDI BeachHunter and the Fisher AQ Impulse.

There’s been a long-standing belief that pulse induction machines have the edge in depth on gold rings at the beach. This test is designed to take a serious look at that claim under real-world conditions.

We’re working on a mild to moderately mineralized saltwater beach along the Carolina coast. Every machine in this test has been set up for stable, practical use—no unrealistic “maxed out” settings that wouldn’t actually work in the field. The pulse induction units are running stable, usable configurations, and I’ve already documented in other videos which extreme settings are not viable on this type of beach.

For the simultaneous multi-frequency machines, I’ve pushed them as far as possible while maintaining stability—running the lowest recovery speeds and highest sensitivities that the conditions will allow.

This is a true apples-to-apples comparison focused on real performance, not theoretical limits.

I’m interested to hear your thoughts:
Do you still believe pulse induction machines hold the depth advantage on a mild to moderate beach in 2026, or has modern simultaneous multi-frequency technology closed that gap?

This is a true shootout—results may surprise you. Stay tuned.
MINELABMANTICORE SETTINGS.....
GENERAL , LOW CONDUCTOR,BEACH / SURF / SEAWATER SETTINGS
Ground Balance: Pumping Ground Balance
Recovery Speed: 4–6
Sensitivity:
9" Coil: 20–24
11" Coil: 18–24
15" Coil: 18–24
Audio Theme: Depth (Medium Profile) or Prospecting (your choice)
Volume: Set to a comfortable level (23 recommended)
Iron Settings:
Horseshoe (All Metal): ON
Iron Volume: 6–112
Upper Ferrous: 8
Lower Ferrous: 4–5 (helps with bottle caps)
Noise Cancel: Long press
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for your efforts CD! Most of us appreciate the work involved as I have done similar testing for my own amusement. I noticed that in your extensive testing that you didn't have an Equinox in the mix. Any particular reason for that? Without doing a deep dive, I haven't seen a credible comparison between the Manticore and the 900. In my hunts with by buddies that have the Manticore, my 900 seems to do as well (or better depending on coil and settings) when we compare in situ targets. Have you done any depth tests with those two models?
 
Thanks for your efforts CD! Most of us appreciate the work involved as I have done similar testing for my own amusement. I noticed that in your extensive testing that you didn't have an Equinox in the mix. Any particular reason for that? Without doing a deep dive, I haven't seen a credible comparison between the Manticore and the 900. In my hunts with by buddies that have the Manticore, my 900 seems to do as well (or better depending on coil and settings) when we compare in situ targets. Have you done any depth tests with those two models?
They are close from what I have seen in my testing. I traded my 900 for the Whites TDI Beach Hunter.
 
Your testing has added one notch to the reasons I might buy the Manticore. Shape and timing of signal waves be dammed. And I don’t plan on detecting sand.
 
Last edited:
Your testing has added one notch to the reasons I might buy the Manticore. Shape and timing of signal waves be dammed. And I don’t plan on detecting sand.
One can assume you may want to see some non-sand tests as well with the Manticore and PI detectors.
 
One can assume you may want to see some non-sand tests as well with the Manticore and PI detectors.
Of course, but that will likely come from another person willing to go to similar efforts.
Most intelligent people will gather info from various sources and evaluate the data and accept what they feel is comfortable and reasonable for various conditions and apparent understanding of how detectors perform in the real world.
 
Of course, but that will likely come from another person willing to go to similar efforts.
Most intelligent people will gather info from various sources and evaluate the data and accept what they feel is comfortable and reasonable for various conditions and apparent understanding of how detectors perform in the real world.
I like how you are thinking now.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom