Almost Quit

dougolf2

Apr 27, 2019
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The other day I hunted for almost 5 hours and came away with a bunch of junk, and only 3 clad coins. To say I was frustrated and grumpy would be an understatement. I was literally thinking about giving up this new hobby (2 months...12 - 15 hunts). However, I gave it another try today and was rewarded for my perseverance. I found my first silver, a 1946 Roosevelt dime. Later, I found 5 matchbox cars in one hole. To top off the day, on the walk back to my truck, I found a working Fitbit bracelet. Yay! 20190609_201902-1-1.jpg 20190609_201749.jpg 20190609_202057.jpg

Upvote 26

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doug, hang in there! It's like fishing when you don't hook anything... you're still outside enjoying the great outdoors!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first silver coin. That's something that you will remember forever. Well done!!!

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice silvers & the cars, always like digging them, wtg

IMHO = We all have bad days, they won't all be winners and probably actually you'll loose more than win, so get use to it and enjoy the fact that can be out there
enjoying a great hobby. Read my signature below. GL & HH

Last edited:

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patience is the word, my friend. You never know what that next hole will give up. I've had many days with lots of junk and a little clad. Don't give up. I've been at it for 40 plus years. Nice finds.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All good advice given from the members above. I found my best finds to date within my first year in the hobby. I am not sure if that was a good thing or not. Somedays I think I have done my best so why bother. On my last 2 property hunts, I managed to get permissions for older homesites that I had wanted to hunt for a long time. I didn't even find enough clad to pay the gas it took to start my vehicle, lol. I have spent hours driving and scouting from one end of the state to the other, tons of money in gas, been told no when I ask for permission so many times I have wanted to give up and get rid of my equipment, but for some reason, here I sit tonight reading about the finds of others and wondering where my next scouting trip should be. I still remember my first silver. It was a Rosie also from a well-hunted park that has seen many years of detectorists. Good luck to you.

pyrogort

Jan 19, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign (original),
Fisher 1280-X, Garrett Master Hunter BFO,
Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the dime...1946 was the first year strike for the Roosevelt dime.
A real keeper for sure!

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep it up. I promise you will find more. That is a great Hot Wheels collection.

Finder Bear

Mar 20, 2019
Newton KS
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! Hang in there. It only works better when you put in the time, can’t catch the fish if you aren’t on the lake!!

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Like everyone said, hang in there. I got my detector a few years ago in May and found nothing but chump change all summer. Come October I started finding rings and finished that year with three or four gold rings and a heavy gold bracelet. What I’m saying is it takes time to learn the machine and refine your skills but you are off to a good start already.

If you are so inclined, I’m pretty sure fitbits are linked to an Apple ID so you could in theory return it. Looks like a kids size... that or you have it on your leg [emoji1787]

Happy hunting.

Last edited:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Seems like every time I think about throwing the towel in, something Nice surprises Me in the hole I wasn’t gonna dig. Congrats!!!

mdj

May 15, 2011
midwest
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I hunted for almost 5 hours and came away with a bunch of junk, and only 3 clad coins. To say I was frustrated and grumpy would be an understatement. I was literally thinking about giving up this new hobby (2 months...12 - 15 hunts). However, I gave it another try today and was rewarded for my perseverance. I found my first silver, a 1946 Roosevelt dime. Later, I found 5 matchbox cars in one hole. To top off the day, on the walk back to my truck, I found a working Fitbit bracelet. Yay! View attachment 1721638 View attachment 1721639 View attachment 1721640
I'm pretty sure we've all been there. I've had great finds in my junk box. Don't throw out anything until you know what it is. Good Luck.

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doug, hang in there! It's like fishing when you don't hook anything... you're still outside enjoying the great outdoors!

and getting exercise which most of us sorely need these days. (speaking for myself):laughing7:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver Rosie. Glad you are sticking with the hobby. I felt the same way 30 + years ago, and I'm glad I stuck with it. There are a lot of amazing pieces of History still buried in the ground, just waiting for us to recover it. (Not to mention a few silver and old copper coins also) !

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Silver dime, 5 hot wheels cars and a working Fitbit bracelet. Nice hunt. Congrats

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver! Hang tough, there are days when all you get is junk but like golf it takes only one perfect shot to bring you back:icon_thumleft:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Wow, way to go on a heck of a day. Getting started in this hobby is usually tough. It takes time to learn how to find good sites and develop strategies for having good, new places. I’ve been doing this off and on for 14 years and I still have weeks I want to quit. Keep after it and good things will happen.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, it all down hill from here...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread