What's new

Aluminum Half???

InTheWoods

Full Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
147
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT
I found this in a roll of halves I was searching earlier in the week. It looked like silver but it was so dirty I couldn't read the date, so I cleaned it up a little and saw "1974"...that really shocked me. I knew immediately it was not clad and the more I looked at it I didn't think it was silver either. I checked it with my MXT metal detector and it doesn't show the same reading as a silver half (88 on the VDI). This one reads 78 (usually a copper penny but could be aluminum). The way it is corroded looks like what aluminum does when it has corrosion. It looks like it may have been in the ground at some point in it's existence. It weighs only 8 grams which is well under a 40%'er. Too bad about the condition but if it is aluminum it may still have some value as an error coin. What do you think???

Mark


alumhalf001.jpg
alumhalf002.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Might be a homemade cast copy. Is it lightweight like aluminum? I'm sure it is not an error coin. Either homemade counterfeit or a regular half that has been in acid or who knows what kind of abuse.
 
Not sure what to say. Oh I know, that is one butt ugly coin.... LOL
 
The more I look the more I wonder if it has been in the ocean. Looks like a few coins I have found at the beach.
 
How much lighter is it?
 
Something about the face looks a little goofy, not sure what.
 
I'm shooting blind here, but I'm guessing that it's been through some toxic waste.
 
bigcypresshunter said:
How much lighter is it?

The weight of a 90 and 40% is 12.5 grams and 11.5 grams respectively. This one is only 8 grams. I might add that the diameter and thickness appear to be the same as any other half.

awhitster said:
Not sure what to say. Oh I know, that is one butt ugly coin.... LOL

If you think thats ugly...check this one out! I found this in a roll yesterday. Poor thing didn't stand a chance :'(

uglyhalf.jpg
 
SoCalMark said:
If you think thats ugly...check this one out! I found this in a roll yesterday. Poor thing didn't stand a chance :'(

uglyhalf.jpg
Looks like another beach coin.
 
I bet awhitster is right - I've seen the same thing on quarters from the beach - saltwater and moving sand will tear a coin up.
 
That's hilarious! I had no idea the beach could do that to coins! :o
 
Here are some silver coins found in a beach trench. The second pic shows a quarter that is indiscernible. Salt will eat silver.
I think you should test your coin with a nitric acid/potassium dichromate mix because of the large weight difference. It may be a aluminum and would be very unusual.

That second half you found may have been in a powerful garbage disposal.
 

Attachments

  • beach coins.webp
    beach coins.webp
    8 KB · Views: 188
  • beach cookie coins.webp
    beach cookie coins.webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 180
  • beach coins.webp
    beach coins.webp
    8 KB · Views: 195
  • beach cookie coins.webp
    beach cookie coins.webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 199

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom