Am I missing something?!?!

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I don't get it! Everywhere i walk in my woods there are small piles of rocks only a foot or two tall at the most and 3 or 4 feet wide but they are everywhere in one section of the woods! What could these be? Rocks cleared for farming? Campfires? buried wells? For some reason there is no old relics to be found around these things :-\ In fact the whole area of the woods has been unproductive even though i detect it almost daily and find nothing....I mean someone had to have moved these here, they didnt loose anything?!? Ill get some pics of them tomarow, they must be over a hundred years old as some of the piles have huge trees growing through them, plus they are half buried and moss-covored. all throughout the woods are random rock formations people have arranged, wish i knew why :-[ Am i missing something ??? Souldnt there be something to be found here? even just small copper relics from long ago left behind? Maybe my detector just completely lacks the depth to find old stuff here :'( Is there a book or something explaining random rocks and paths and stuff you would find in the woods?

Upvote 0
F

Floater

I would like to see the Pics Jake and possible more than one. Also how old is the tree growth in the woods you are in. a few pics of the density would help. Also the elevation of this area. Is it a higher section or plot of land than the surrounding area. It sounds to me like an area that was originally going to be marked off for a boundary and then something happened . Like a war, Death in a family. just moved before they finished???? Who knows. lets see some pics of these and then we can go further. HH.

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Will do! I will get elevation from googleearth and also some pics of different rock piles with a yardstick for comparison. Should i pay attention to what types of rocks are in the piles? If they are graves something must have gone wrong out there cause theres tons of them :o

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Sounds like a poor farmer was clearing the land for more fields. A wise old man (my dad) once said that you "can't get blood from a turnip" meaning that you can't have something taken from you if you have nothing. By the same token, you can't lose something if you have nothing in your pockets! ;)

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how you feel Jake! Not even one little penny found in my woods! Must have been some mighty poor folks here back in the day. But....keep lookin! Ya never know!

Nana ;)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jake,

could be you found a old "fairy wood".

Some people call them elf, or sprite, or brownie.

My thinking is it was the brownies.

Brownies usually work at night and often play pranks. They may have seen you detecting in the woods and
decided to have some fun. Often they will take things. If they take something large, they have a habit of
leaving something small and if they take something small they leave something large.

Those woods were most likely full of old coins and jewels and thing like that. The Brownies saw you detecting one day and decided to collect all the coins, may have taken out bag fulls. Anyway, since they took something
small they left you the large rocks. Fair trade and a bit of prank on their part.

have a good un............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS ;)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when I was a youngster, my family lived on a farm. ?I had to clear an area for a garden as we dad was no farmer and we just piled all the tons of rocks into piles anywhere. ?The garden was planted between the piles. ?It wasn't pretty, but it saved moving those rocks many feet to a fence row. ?I never carried any allowance in my work clothes and my play clothes were just cleaner. ?We had nowhere to spend money till we went to town so at least I never carried any.

As for not finding any targets, with all the leaf litter they might be deep if there are any at all. ?I'd rake the leaves away to get closer to the ground and use a larger coil if you have one. ;D

HH,
Sandman

TOWcritter

Hey Jake....Old timers used rocks like that as foundation piers or footers for their cabins and early houses. Are they on a fairly level peice of ground? Are they laid out in a square or rectangular shpe? If so, that might be the answer. If they are, you might have a cache heaven just waiting for you. Check old maps of the area. I found foundations 200 years old that way. You would never know what they were if you weren't looking for them. Good luck. Let me know what you think.

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms
Aliens..no question about it. Pyramids in Egypt..South America...Rock formations in the US. See it all the time...fairly common thing they do to hide earth portals . Try standing in center of formation..eyes closed...chanting...I BELIEVE....I BELIEVE . AND SEE WHAT WILL HAPPEN . ;D Oh by the way....nothing has grown in coin garden yet. Planted over a year ago .

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms
Foolishness aside...hunting in wyoming , found formation of rocks like you describe, on mountain peak. Never found any one who knew about it or what it was . Hunting partner guessed it was probally built by indians .

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
I'm convinced that I could detect on the moon and find a nail, a pulltab, and the ever present "new penny".

I'd say if you're finding nothing...you're in a bad spot.

J

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jake,
I know of a place that is wayyyyyyyyyy back in the sticks. It's has the same rock piles as your place. Some of them are very large. I ask the old man that lives near by what's the deal with the rocks. He said that they came from the farm down the road. Back then the same dude owned both farms. They cleared the fields of rocks for planting and moved the rocks via wagon. They dumped them in those woods because they knew it would never be farmed I guess the soil was bad or something. The farm they came from is still full of rocks. Some kids tried to make a play house out of some of them but they only made it about knee high. It could of been that the farmers rolled in dumped the stones and left. I'm sure they lost something. But if it was 100 or so years ago it could be deep. Just think of 100 years of leafs and dust stacking up on a coin. They sink like a car keys at the lake.

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Sorry guys, wasnt able to get out today, camera was out of batteries and it was raining :-\ Ill get out there tomarow :) I like the idea of peirs for a house but i dont think any are arranged that way. I would go with cleared for farming, but then you would have big rock piles you would have to plow and plant around.

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Jake, you are a slacker!!!! Now put on the rain coat and hip wadders..... oh wait.... since you are in the northeast you might need to invest in a boat, and go get pics!!!!! :D ;D ;)

Seriously, the farmer was probably just clearing the land. Gather the rocks into piles. Load 'em in a trailer. Haul 'em out of the field. Only he never made it to step 2 or 3. :)

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I have to admit i did kinda slack off :P Waited around for an hour or two and by then it was pouring :-\ I never made it to the other steps either i guess ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
yeah man!!!!!!!!! you know we caint wait!!!! ;D hurry wif those pics!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread