What's new

An Old Find when I was a kid fishing.

Albertaclipper

Full Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2012
Messages
219
Reaction score
517
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Folks,
I definately need some input here. This and a few other of my finds over the years is the reason I joind this awesome forum last year. Now that I am unemployed and have some time on my hands, I thought today while it is snowing I would post my prize.
Just over 30 years ago, I found this while fishing with my dad in Northern Alberta in a river basin. At the time of the find, I was only 8 and I saw it and put it in my tackle box not knowing what it is lol and thought it was cool. Twenty five years later, my mom and dad were cleaning their house and mom brought it over and said here! We laughed about it and I placed it on my fireplace hearth. It was only a couple years ago and sitting by my fire, I picked it up, put it on my coffee table and it dawned on me what it could potentially be.
I am no geologist or expert, nor it was never important to show an expert for a description, but all that I know is that the material is very very hard, it will not chip/flake and is very solid. It weighs approx. 6.2 lbs, it has notches on the top and underside where I am guessing a handle was? and the work end/hammer end has some definate wear from working it via whoever used this before I found it. Hopefully my photos help.

Looking forward to comments!
Cheers! Dale.......
 

Attachments

  • 3 notches or lines where handle would be possibly.webp
    3 notches or lines where handle would be possibly.webp
    374.7 KB · Views: 189
  • Bottom, unknown notch and how.webp
    Bottom, unknown notch and how.webp
    321.2 KB · Views: 230
  • Front, hammer side possibly.webp
    Front, hammer side possibly.webp
    463.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Otherside View.webp
    Otherside View.webp
    438.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Side view.webp
    Side view.webp
    553.2 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 0
lol.I will gatorboy...back onto the mantle it goes! Right beside last weeks lottery ticket that did'nt pan out and the empty vodka bottle....:occasion14:
 
Ha ha..cheers my friend.
 
If you found it on a site perhaps you are the secone person to take it home because it was a neat stone.
 
Okay, here's what I see.

First, the material looks to be Limonite, which is very similar to Hematite but has a softer center and isn't as dense as Hematite. That would explain the weight.

Second, while Limonite was used to make tools and I have an Axe , a Mortar, and a large Nutting Stone made from the material I don't think that piece is an artifact. Limonite will erode out in nodules just like that one and after erosion will end up looking just like yours. I find pieces just like that all the time in my area.

Third, I'm not sure what the grooves are, but they aren't hafting marks.

Here are some pictures of my Limonite pieces. You can see the softer "yellowish" material that is on the inside in the Mortar.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0143.webp
    DSC_0143.webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0144.webp
    DSC_0144.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_0142.webp
    DSC_0142.webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0141.webp
    DSC_0141.webp
    32.9 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0140.webp
    DSC_0140.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_0145.webp
    DSC_0145.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_0147.webp
    DSC_0147.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_0148.webp
    DSC_0148.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Pics-371.webp
    Pics-371.webp
    27.3 KB · Views: 87
The Grim Reaper said:
Okay, here's what I see.

First, the material looks to be Limonite, which is very similar to Hematite but has a softer center and isn't as dense as Hematite. That would explain the weight.

Second, while Limonite was used to make tools and I have an Axe , a Mortar, and a large Nutting Stone made from the material I don't think that piece is an artifact. Limonite will erode out in nodules just like that one and after erosion will end up looking just like yours. I find pieces just like that all the time in my area.

Third, I'm not sure what the grooves are, but they aren't hafting marks.

Here are some pictures of my Limonite pieces. You can see the softer "yellowish" material that is on the inside in the Mortar.

Hey Reap. Hope you are well. How much does the axe weigh, and second, how do you know it is an axe? Is it grooved and the pic doesn't show it well? I'm just curious. Thanks!
 
NC field hunter said:
Hey Reap. Hope you are well. How much does the axe weigh, and second, how do you know it is an axe? Is it grooved and the pic doesn't show it well? I'm just curious. Thanks!

Never mind I thought you were calling that large piece in pic 1 an axe. What is pic 1!

image-3655058638.webp

Also, is the piece in the center of my pic an axe? It looks kind of similar to yours.
 
The large piece in the first few pictures is the Nutting Stone. If you look closely at the first three pics you can see the two indentations in the top of it. It weighs around 7 pounds.

It's hard to say from your picture whether it's anything or not. I need to see better close up pictures of both sides and to see if it has a blade.
 
Last edited:
Never mind I thought you were calling that large piece in pic 1 an axe. What is pic 1!

View attachment 683680

Also, is the piece in the center of my pic an axe? It looks kind of similar to yours.
I think your middle piece might be a net weight. But I would like to see a closer pic of the one on the upper right. Kinda gray looking
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom