An Old Find when I was a kid fishing.

Albertaclipper

Feb 27, 2012
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Folks,
I definately need some input here. This and a few other of my finds over the years is the reason I joind this awesome forum last year. Now that I am unemployed and have some time on my hands, I thought today while it is snowing I would post my prize.
Just over 30 years ago, I found this while fishing with my dad in Northern Alberta in a river basin. At the time of the find, I was only 8 and I saw it and put it in my tackle box not knowing what it is lol and thought it was cool. Twenty five years later, my mom and dad were cleaning their house and mom brought it over and said here! We laughed about it and I placed it on my fireplace hearth. It was only a couple years ago and sitting by my fire, I picked it up, put it on my coffee table and it dawned on me what it could potentially be.
I am no geologist or expert, nor it was never important to show an expert for a description, but all that I know is that the material is very very hard, it will not chip/flake and is very solid. It weighs approx. 6.2 lbs, it has notches on the top and underside where I am guessing a handle was? and the work end/hammer end has some definate wear from working it via whoever used this before I found it. Hopefully my photos help.

Looking forward to comments!
Cheers! Dale.......

Attachments

• 3 notches or lines where handle would be possibly.jpg
    3 notches or lines where handle would be possibly.jpg
    623.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Bottom, unknown notch and how.jpg
    Bottom, unknown notch and how.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 181
  • Front, hammer side possibly.jpg
    Front, hammer side possibly.jpg
    715.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Otherside View.jpg
    Otherside View.jpg
    686.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Side view.jpg
    Side view.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 0
N

natchitoches

wow it sure looks cool. and like it mite be some thing.
if i had to guess i say atlatl weight .
but i am just not sure. its way out of my area.
lets see what the others say.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what it is but its over six pounds...not an atlatl weight. Is there a possibility it was part of a stone wall of some kind? I don't think that was ever Hafted. Those marks look like they would be from a chisel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Albertaclipper

Albertaclipper

Feb 27, 2012
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Natchitoches & GatorBoy, If you look at the bottom pictures,if you were to place a handle vertically under the notched end, would'nt this be some sort of ancient hammer or tool? Thats what I was trying to imply without sounding like a dork incase im wrong. But there are 3 carvings or slices in a row on the top of it, not symmetrical and one on the underside (top middle picture, brownish yellow mark on the bottom right of photo) that is carved out also.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I simply don't know enough about your area to make a real informed judgment. Don't worry about sounding like a dork..I do it on here all the time. I would suggest trying a Google search of artifact stone hammer with your location as a key word. See if there are other examples. Is there any damage on what would be the working end if it were a hammer?

IowaPro

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2012
Southern Iowa
Detector(s) used
Currently Use Whites MXT Pro & Minelab E-Trac!Have owned Whites DFX/Eagle 2/6000 series/5000 series/ and first detector was a goldmaster.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks like a piece of catlanite and it was widley used to make tools. I have found a celt made of the same rock in the past. It does look like some type of tool.

N

natchitoches

on darn i did not read the 6 1/2 lb part. lol on me

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I really despise when people pop up out of the great blue to say "geofact", then leave. Why? Tell the man why it is a geofact you rude *******!

Chrystal

Apr 5, 2012
Pauls Valley, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not an expert but it looks like some kind of primative hammer to me.
Very cool!!!

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Oh, yeah! Another thing! People with any level of intelligence love to flaunt it. They Always elaborate at least a little. A dude on here, Stephen, I think his name was, did the same to me. I was honestly looking for knowledge, and he took time to stop on my thread say "rock" then vanish. I ask for some elaboration, no answer. Mine was a rock and nothing more. Thanks to Gator and Larson, I now know that. This Stephen cat had listed that he is an engineer on his profile. I'm glad he has a fall back! Never listen to the "one word" guys. I can't say what their intentions are, but they are not trying to benefit us, the guys who say "help, what is this". Now! Off my soap box. The piece you have is beautiful. I don't know any thing about it. I wish I could help, but I can't. That is why I watched dormant all day. I will say, I would never toss a piece that I have held on to for 30 years. Nice find!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is possible that it was collected as the stone from what everyone is saying,,is desirable. If it was used it would show either modification which would be obvious or wear or use marks. If neither of these are present than everything else is speculation. That is what I have learned and have been proven wrong several times. I have pieces I thought were something and years later learned they were not. I still have some nothings and continue to keep them maybe because I have had them so long and really want them to be something.. Make sense?

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Take it to a museum or university up there. I think you are correct about a tool and I bet the word "athabascan" comes up in the conversation.

IowaPro

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2012
Southern Iowa
Detector(s) used
Currently Use Whites MXT Pro & Minelab E-Trac!Have owned Whites DFX/Eagle 2/6000 series/5000 series/ and first detector was a goldmaster.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok I am changing my answer I agree with wells due to the weight bet it is a piece of hematite.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
IowaPro said:
Ok I am changing my answer I agree with wells due to the weight bet it is a piece of hematite.

Wouldn't a hammer need weight? Do you guys think it is too light or heavy? The original poster noted that he believes it had handles on it. Reminds me of a post driver for fence work. I don't know of natives building fences, but seems possible. This is nothing more than a guess.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tnmountains said:
It is possible that it was collected as the stone from what everyone is saying,,is desirable. If it was used it would show either modification which would be obvious or wear or use marks. If neither of these are present than everything else is speculation. That is what I have learned and have been proven wrong several times. I have pieces I thought were something and years later learned they were not. I still have some nothings and continue to keep them maybe because I have had them so long and really want them to be something.. Make sense?

I belive he hit the small metal spike directly on the cranium.

OP
OP
Albertaclipper

Albertaclipper

Feb 27, 2012
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I love most of the conversation, thank you!. Like all posts on the TMF, its hard for the poster like myself, to properly convey a site/location,relic,bone,rock etc properly, when they are standing there or have it in their hands and try to ask for advice and opinions after posting some pictures of what they are trying to describe.

Yes it is probably just a natural piece of rock shaped in a hammer, thus the reason for me asking for opinions, but if you all look at the last picture on the bottom right, the damn shape of it is what got me going...1.bottom right corner of rock, using your imagination, place a handle there vertically. 2. Where I think the handle was, there is a groove etched out on the underside, its etched in about 1cm deep and is about 2 inches long and is shown in the top middle picture( yellow line running up/down on right side of photo).3. using bottom right picture, look at the left side of the rock, its concaved in and smooth. 4. using the top left picture, there are 3 indents scribed/etched in that are not natural, those three indents are (if you are looking at bottom right photo) at the top right of the rock.
Who knows.......all that I know is that I finally contributed to this forum, and I enjoy seeing and reading all the finds from you guys, even when they are legitimate.......lol
Thanks!
Dale

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread