What's new

Another beach coin

Parkerized

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2006
Messages
72
Reaction score
15
Golden Thread
0
Location
Coastal North Cackylacki
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Excalibur 1000/ Nautilus DMC IIB/CZ-6a/ Tejon
Anyone have any idea what this maybe? Found beside a ship wreck, North Carolina beach. This is the best the macro on my camera does .sorry.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0110.webp
    DSCN0110.webp
    158.3 KB · Views: 545
  • DSCN0111.webp
    DSCN0111.webp
    152.1 KB · Views: 517
It's thick like a coin. Seems to have roman numerals around the edge.
 
Upvote 0
Parkerized said:
It's thick like a coin. Seems to have roman numerals around the edge.

But what kind of metal? A broken edge like that is more common on lead or pewter.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a face on one side, building on the other.. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
Parkerized said:
It's thick like a coin. Seems to have roman numerals around the edge.

But what kind of metal? A broken edge like that is more common on lead or pewter.

Lead or pewter would be grey this appears to be either bronze or copper.
 
Upvote 0
I've seen where a person put a white blank paper on it, and took a pencil and rubbed it to get the imprint off the coin/item. I wonder if that will work for this??

skt
 
Upvote 0
100% Button (circa 1830)
 
Upvote 0
Although from the fuzzy picture it looks like the shank side in the first picture and the face in the second. But it also looks like the central portion is recessed on both front and back? It would be unusual to find a button where both the front and the back have a wide raised rim of equal width around recess on both sides.
 
Upvote 0
Just a suggestion here. When I need a clear macro pic. I take it through a magnifying glass. I use one of those loop type with 2 loops and usually use only one of them but any mag glass will work. 5X seems better than 10X. With my Kodaks I just hold it right up to the lens and let it auto focus. My old Casios took a little more effort, I had to actually hold the mag glass about 2-3 inches away from the lens and try to find a sweet spot, but they were from 1995 and 1998. I think all newer cameras will focus pretty good now. I have been using this method for 14 years now and it gives me amazing close ups.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks, folks.
I guess I had it in my head it was a coin because of a few others that were found in the same area, plus , that's my first button on the beach.
 
Upvote 0
crankyolman22 said:
Just a suggestion here. When I need a clear macro pic. I take it through a magnifying glass. I use one of those loop type with 2 loops and usually use only one of them but any mag glass will work. 5X seems better than 10X. With my Kodaks I just hold it right up to the lens and let it auto focus. My old Casios took a little more effort, I had to actually hold the mag glass about 2-3 inches away from the lens and try to find a sweet spot, but they were from 1995 and 1998. I think all newer cameras will focus pretty good now. I have been using this method for 14 years now and it gives me amazing close ups.
Actually the older digital cameras get closer and will focus better for closeups. The new cameras use too small of a casing making the lens too close to some other part of the camera. I use an old Sony Mavica with floppy disc and its great for closeups. If you have a new digital camera, you cannot get the lens close to the object unless you have a Macro lens feature. The magnifier is a good idea. Another suggestion would be to get as close as you can and crop.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED From a shipwreck
Replies
2
Views
453
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any ideas??
Replies
6
Views
722

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom