Another Connecticut Copper! And a SWEET Surprise! Update with ID!

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got back to the site where I found the Connecticut and Vermont Coppers. I was hoping to spend the entire day there but sadly I had to go into work! I still managed to get in about 2.5 hours of detecting in. The field needs to be plowed again, and should be in the next couple of weeks with a little luck

I was REALLY hoping to score another State Copper but had my doubts. After 1.5hrs in the field I had about half a dozen civilian buttons and a few misc pieces of copper and brass. I decided to focus on the iron rich area and after moving a few pieces of large iron out of the way I got a sweet coin signal. About 6" down was this Connecticut Copper! I haven't looked to see what variety it is but based on my last finds I assume it's a common one! haha It's a 1786 IT seems to have good detail and be worn all at once somehow. Almost seems intentional as the wear points are odd to me. There is an odd high point on the bust side of the coin which gives it the appearance of being pushed out, although it is not!?

Anyhow, the copper made my day for sure! I kept at it for a bit longer and man I am glad I did. For those of you who saw my post the other day you saw my GR cartridge badge. It looks a little different today! :headbang:

Also found an interesting little cufflink with two shaking hands.

I want to go back!

Attachments

• DSC06772.JPG
    DSC06772.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,020
  • DSC06775.JPG
    DSC06775.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,018
  • DSC06773.JPG
    DSC06773.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,032
  • DSC06774.JPG
    DSC06774.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,024
  • DSC06784.JPG
    DSC06784.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,017
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Another Connecticut Copper! And a SWEET Surprise! ID Help?

Don in SJ said:
I'm sticking with what I said last night to you, I think it is a Miller 5.2-L, never got confirmation from my two "experts" but I eliminated any other Obverses, other than the one IP suggested, but I think the A is closer to the bust on 5.4, they are very close to each other. All the Miller 5s are basically the same die with minor variations. The L reverse so far has not been disproved in my mind, so hopefully more will look at the narrowed down varieties and a conclusion can be reached. The 5.2-L is no longer a R-6, now an R-5, and think I saw as many as 40+ known now. The CoinFacts site can no longer be used to state rarity for sure, since the data is quite a few years old, auction sites and catalogs have more up to date rarity figures.

Don

Hey Don. I was trying to find a photo of the 5.2-L but came up with nothing. Seems there is no picture available on the CoinFacts site. Anyhow, hopefully I can get it nailed down.

Regardless, these state coppers are interesting coins. Wish I could find them more frequently over here. I believe I do have a Connecticut I found some time back as well as a very worn New Jersey.

Thanks again for your help.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ColonialDude said:
Iron Patch said:
Even in two pieces that plate is worth putting in the case or someone eles's case!

As for the CT I think you have a very good shot a real keeper. It's probably going to be in this miller range and I'm fairly certain I eliminated the first and the last, just can't see pictures of the one in between.

Miller 4.1-G R-3+ Common Mailed Bust Left
Miller 4.2-R R-6 ~ 20-25 known Mailed Bust Left
Miller 4.2-S R-7 ~ 10-12 known Mailed Bust Left
Miller 5.1-H.1 R-6 Very Rare Mailed Bust Left
Miller 5.2-H.1 R-6+ ~ 10-12 known Mailed Bust Left
Miller 5.2-I R-3+ Scarce Mailed Bust Left
Miller 5.2-L R-6 ~ 14 known Mailed Bust Left
Miller 5.2-O.2 R-6 Very Rare Mailed Bust Left

Well it's a start! Thanks very much.

It surprises me at the relatively low dollar value when you consider some of these coins only have a couple known. I would think with so many coin collectors these things would have some serious value....even with only say 40 known. Strange world the collecting world is.

Not sure if you're coming up with that based on generic values from the redbook, but it certainly isn't the case. If your coin ends up being one of just a few known it would have some very good value.

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Not sure if you're coming up with that based on generic values from the redbook, but it certainly isn't the case. If your coin ends up being one of just a few known it would have some very good value.

Well I admittedly have ZERO knowledge of coins. I simply based it on what examples with say a "rarity 5" have sold for etc. Surely not a science but I figured it would give me a general idea of value

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

nice finds man! congrats! :thumbsup:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o :o Colonial eye candy ... eye like em' :headbang: ;D

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here is a Miller 5.2-L for you to compare with, always hard to say for sure from photos, as evidenced by your Vermont with the crud dot mark. :)
I combined your photos with the one I found that sold at auction.
Don

UPDATE: Just got a confirmation from a CT collector on the attribution being correct! So it be a 1786 Miller 5.2-L Rarity 5 (Rare).....

Attachments

• 1786M5.2-L comparison.jpg
    1786M5.2-L comparison.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 553
  • 1786M5.2-L comparison.jpg
    1786M5.2-L comparison.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 552
OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
Here is a Miller 5.2-L for you to compare with, always hard to say for sure from photos, as evidenced by your Vermont with the crud dot mark. :)
Don

UPDATE: Just got a confirmation from a CT collector on the attribution being correct! So it be a 1786 Miller 5.2-L Rarity 5 (Rare).....

Hi Don. Thanks very much for the pictures and the excellent info!

As mentioned, I know SQUAT about coins but there is something about the reverse that isn't right. The dash between "ET - LIB" is exactly that on mine, an oblong dash. The dash on the photo you posted is more of a round dot.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ColonialDude said:
Don in SJ said:
Don

Hi Don. Thanks very much for the pictures and the excellent info!

As mentioned, I know SQUAT about coins but there is something about the reverse that isn't right. The dash between "ET - LIB" is exactly that on mine, an oblong dash. The dash on the photo you posted is more of a round dot.
Well, at least you know what type of things to look for, but if you also notice the dots on the Obverse side are also not perfectly round, there are no dashes like that they are flattened dots thru either wear or damage. But they are dots.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Definitely very close, closer than all the pictures I've seen. If it's not a match whatever is, is pretty much a twin.

HomesteadHunter

Nov 14, 2008
Amherstburg, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75.

That copper is a real beauty, and it is in great shape considering what your east coast crusties usually look like! And what can I say about the cartridge badge, i'd be head over heals happy. Finds like that just don't come up around here, definitely a centerpiece to a display.

James.
HomesteadHunter.

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Sweet finds, hope you get back to that site soon. I think its calling your name.

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Another Connecticut Copper! And a SWEET Surprise! ID Update

Well I am sold. It appears this copper is a Miller 5.2-L

Thanks very much to IP and Don for the ID help!

I can't wait to get back to the site and see if I can find another

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is impressive! Did you clean the crown portion of the plate?

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:

Thanks man. The different colors or patina on both pieces is due to exposure as 1 piece came from an area that is plowed and the other the field edge where it is grass and not plowed. I have to assume fertilizer etc and sun exposure are the reasons for the difference.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ColonialDude said:
romeo-1 said:

Thanks man. The different colors or patina on both pieces is due to exposure as 1 piece came from an area that is plowed and the other the field edge where it is grass and not plowed. I have to assume fertilizer etc and sun exposure are the reasons for the difference.

Yep...and I'll say it again...damn impressive!!

MayheM

Greenie
Apr 5, 2011
Floreeeda
Detector(s) used
Fisher Labs f2, Whites DFX
Those are all beautiful coppers! :o Whats a GR cartridge badge and how was it a part of the uniform?

mudball43

Greenie
Jan 7, 2010
wow! nice finds, i would pack me a lunch, call in sick to work, & go detecting. great spot & finds.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a great thrill when you get two items that fit together, normally its 5 years apart when it happens to me :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread