paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the site I was at Friday and really canvassed the spots that are normally covered in brambles.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/529510-buckle-i-need-some-help-1817-lc.html

The results were pretty solid. I found another fancy colonial buckle, but this time the hammered silver surface is intact! Although not the buckle itself.

DSC08999.JPG DSC09000.JPG DSC09001.JPG

Once again it's a variety I've never seen before. Thanks to the help of several members here on Tnet, the last one was identified as an Artois shoe buckle likely from around the 1770's. This one is very different though so any guidance in the right direction will be appreciated!

DSC09002.JPG DSC09005.JPG DSC09006.JPG

The LC is 1831 and in the best condition of any that I've found so far. I didn't do any field cleaning and only lightly rinsed before the peroxide bath. The results were excellent so I think that will be my method with all coppers from now on. I lost a little bit of patina on the raised parts even using just a qtip, but I think that's because the patina was so thin to begin with. The iron buckle is also extraordinarily well preserved. The iron tongue still moves freely!

DSC09007.JPG

This scythe is just enormous. I started digging at the tip and for a second I thought I had found a sword. I just kept digging further and further down the strip until I finally reached the hook at the end which was pinned under a couple of rocks. I can't imagine how anyone lost this back in the day :laughing7:

Upvote 11

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! If I had to lug that scythe around all day I would "lose" it also, under two feet of soil and rocks.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had to lug that scythe around all day I would "lose" it also, under two feet of soil and rocks.

Precisely! :laughing7: I can't imagine carrying this up and down a field for an entire day, much less swinging it. Wouldn't it be great if the farmer got so fed up he finally buys a smaller scythe and "retires" this one in the backyard so he never has to look at it again!

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great digs! The buckle reminds me of something I dug several years ago, I always figured it was a buckle fragment. Was found in a farm field in an area that saw activity as far back as the mid 17th century.

buckle.JPG

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because of the oddly placed crossbar I'm thinking "maybe" is not a shoe buckle ?
I just looked through buckles 1250 to 1800 and did not see one like it. It's definitely different.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because of the oddly placed crossbar I'm thinking "maybe" is not a shoe buckle ?
I just looked through buckles 1250 to 1800 and did not see one like it. It's definitely different.

I don't know it this is helpful, but it actually looks like it had a second much finer crossbar that's now missing. It's not terribly clear, but you can sort of see in the third photo that it has a drilled hole and the break in the buckle is along the hole on the opposite side.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds! man I can see why you thought you had a sword.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread