Another MD Question

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
I am going to order me a new machine in the next few weeks for my creeks and local ponds (swimming holes)

I was using a Garett Sea Hunter Mark II but my buddy is moving up North and begged me for it, Anyway now I need a new machine.

I will be doing some shallow diving (10'-20' tops) and basically wading my local creeks in waste deep water.

My question to you is what is around the 500.00 range and compared with the Seahunter? I really liked that machine and will probably go with that one again but I just wanted some input from you guys that use them a lot and see what other machines you guys like.

Thanks again,
Jason

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of us love our Tiger Sharks. Excellent on small gold, well balanced. Changeable coils.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could I ask why you liked the seahunter so much? I have one and find the pinpointing to be terrible at best and at worst it makes me want to throw the damn thing away. I'm about getting tired of it so you might be able to find a seahunter that's 2 months old for 500.00 in a place I know very well.

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
davest said:
could I ask why you liked the seahunter so much? I have one and find the pinpointing to be terrible at best and at worst it makes me want to throw the damn thing away. I'm about getting tired of it so you might be able to find a seahunter that's 2 months old for 500.00 in a place I know very well.

lol,

I never had any real pinpointing problems, a few times maybe. I would usually find what I had located in the first scoop or two. Most of my finds granted have been around 2" - 4" deep.

I really hear good things about the Tiger Shark as well.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on where you are going to hunt would be the answer. I wanted to get a Tiger Shark but was advised because it is not too fond of salt water to look for a Sand Shark or something like that. I ended up buying an Excalibur because of the issues with iron. I did have a SeaHunter and will admit it is a nice machine, but just like you read here I got tired of only digging iron. Maybe it was because of the area I was at so I don't blame the detector. After digging several holes only finding a fish hook, piece of wire, etc. one gets tired. From what I have read on all metal detecting websites is that all PI machines love iron.

I have been watching eBay for the past few weeks and have seen several almost new SeaHunters go for $300. I have also seen one or two Excaliburs in the $600 range. Also, here on the T'net there have been several used water proof machines for reasonable prices.

Regarding the Tiger Shark it is supposed to be very good in fresh water. I have read where it will find tiny gold objects, I believe this includes gold chains. If you are going to only use the detector for fresh water then the Tiger Shark would probably be the best option, others will have different opinions. If you read over the forum well and search for threads on different detectors you can read the personal opinions of the owners of each. Also contact the person, most people will tell you all the positive and negative points of each detector.

Good luck on which ever you buy. It took me several years to finally buy one and that was after a lot of research.

HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tiger Shark is a great detector for fresh or salt water. Where it runs into trouble in salt is when people forget to turn on the saltwater mode or are running the sensitivity to high for the black sand that is present in the very shallow water and where the waves hit the sand. It is fine for diving in fresh or salt. I does find thin gold chains, something many higher priced machines can not do. I use it for a back up to my Excal 1000 which cost more than $500.00 new. I use the Excal and Tiger for diving also with the CZ20 being used sometimes too.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
i have an Excall ll and love it ! iv got a Tiger Shark for a back up to the Excal.the TS is very good in fresh water but not as deep as my Excal in salt water. the TS will find smaller Gold than my Excal but the BB size shot it finds will drive you nuts falling through the scoop! i like the Excal null on Iron and the tone ID .my 1st choice is the Excal and TS a close 2nd.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread