Another unhunted "early" cellar 5 minutes from home..

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've lived here for 8 years and never knew there were so many sites around me. Duh. I keep finding unhunted ones too. Found this site by studying many maps and spotting a road that simply could not be there.

No snow, and I thought the ground was unfrozen, so I went back to a pasture where two cellars should be. In January on my scouting trip, the place was frozen solid, but found a nicely done well and a pile of very early hearth bricks, but could not locate the 2nd homesite.

Got there today at 12:30 and was trying to scan the ground for hot spots and targets, but kept getting distracted trying to find the other home. The center of the pasture is nasty thick thorns with random cow paths punched here and there.

Started of with the broken pewter spoon which has "fancy" on both sides of stem, and a bit of fancy onto the bowl. But I hit frozen ground 4" down and it was 6" Date? IDK. The other spoon is silver plate over brass, but same amount of extra fancy on both sides; that's a first for me

Then got a big Dandy button really quick, but shallow. Looked like it had some fancy, but kept going and hit a total of 4 flat buttons. Got them cleaned at home, and all four have super fancy! That is rare around here, and I don't think I have any small and medium ones that have any design, from other sites in town.

The biggest Dandy has areas of gilt, silver or gold, can't tell yet, and has designs all over that are tough to see here. The 2nd largest is strange; it is heavy cast and good alloy? as it is mint. But my best is the Tombac with hand stamped outer designs, and hand scribed flower. It's a real beauty. And the small one is sweet also, as it has hand done flower. None have backmarks, the smallest is slightly domed w/concave back.

There is other stuff; tried digging some better iron hits to see what this place was, or for dating. Very heavy axe, and the other biggest thing is a mini shovel with handle ripped off. Ox shoe from pasture. Some lead from site and pasture Trapezoid harness buckle and "rounded rectangle harness, and a harness tack ring.

I can't tell if the nail is rosehead?

Hand done relics are my favorites, so I had a super good time today. 1/2 mile walk in, uphill. I'm no youngster :(

There was a road through the pasture, coming off the state road, Then it went across the RR tracks, then 1000 yards more, to go across the river. Tried hard to find any hint of the roadbed, or gate openings in the stonewalls, near the tracks and scouting the rivebanks... Not one hint of the road. They must have rebuilt the holes in all the stone walls too. ???

Attachments

• DSCN0497.JPG
    DSCN0497.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCN0499.JPG
    DSCN0499.JPG
    310.4 KB · Views: 178
  • DSCN0501.JPG
    DSCN0501.JPG
    632.5 KB · Views: 136
Upvote 16

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some KILLER buttons!!! Congratz..

OP
OP
CTwoods

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are some KILLER buttons!!! Congratz..

Thanks, I agree. I loves me some fancy buttons.

Hey, I forgot to tell about the trees..

One big tree sits southwest of this cellar on a nice small grassy knoll, That tree is the small one....it's got to be 4-1/2 feet across. Slightly west of the cellar is a big one that the Tobac was under. That one is 5-1/2 feet across!

I was looking back as I left the pasture down hill, and I see another big tree in there, that I missed. Too many thorns.

I never did find the 2nd home, and it should be either due east or due west from this hole, and maybe 150 yards, tops. Just can't find it yet

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Great buttons I'd hit that place hard

HH Jer

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow nice I also have gotten many books from the library and maps. That's treasure huntin g Goof Post

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got 4 really nice buttons there!

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!!! I really like the buttons!

gigispop7

Mar 22, 2009
Oklahoma city,Ok
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett AT gold, Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buttons are very cool . nice finds.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice buttons . Those are big dandies

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I started hitting buttons like that. I would be sure to spend the colder months there. I wonder if a small chain saw could take out those thorny briars.??
Congrats on your finds

OP
OP
CTwoods

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I started hitting buttons like that. I would be sure to spend the colder months there. I wonder if a small chain saw could take out those thorny briars.??
Congrats on your finds
Well, I awoke this morning to the sound of SNOW PLOWS! We now have 5 or 6" of heavy sticky snow, and still snowing. I'm going to have to admit that the extended "2015" MD season has finally ended for good

Yes, I thought about bringing tree pruning lop shears. I can't believe the size of the cattle that I see there in summer, but they somehow get through some real tight spots with no headroom. Someone told me that they like to smash through the thorns to "scratch their itch".

1934 and 1970 aerial pics show that the pasture was completely open except for some huge trees...but I could not see either cellar on those fuzzy pics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread