What's new

Another unhunted "early" cellar 5 minutes from home..

CTwoods

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2015
Messages
349
Reaction score
417
Golden Thread
0
Location
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've lived here for 8 years and never knew there were so many sites around me. Duh. I keep finding unhunted ones too. Found this site by studying many maps and spotting a road that simply could not be there.

No snow, and I thought the ground was unfrozen, so I went back to a pasture where two cellars should be. In January on my scouting trip, the place was frozen solid, but found a nicely done well and a pile of very early hearth bricks, but could not locate the 2nd homesite.

Got there today at 12:30 and was trying to scan the ground for hot spots and targets, but kept getting distracted trying to find the other home. The center of the pasture is nasty thick thorns with random cow paths punched here and there.

Started of with the broken pewter spoon which has "fancy" on both sides of stem, and a bit of fancy onto the bowl. But I hit frozen ground 4" down and it was 6" Date? IDK. The other spoon is silver plate over brass, but same amount of extra fancy on both sides; that's a first for me

Then got a big Dandy button really quick, but shallow. Looked like it had some fancy, but kept going and hit a total of 4 flat buttons. Got them cleaned at home, and all four have super fancy! That is rare around here, and I don't think I have any small and medium ones that have any design, from other sites in town.

The biggest Dandy has areas of gilt, silver or gold, can't tell yet, and has designs all over that are tough to see here. The 2nd largest is strange; it is heavy cast and good alloy? as it is mint. But my best is the Tombac with hand stamped outer designs, and hand scribed flower. It's a real beauty. And the small one is sweet also, as it has hand done flower. None have backmarks, the smallest is slightly domed w/concave back.

There is other stuff; tried digging some better iron hits to see what this place was, or for dating. Very heavy axe, and the other biggest thing is a mini shovel with handle ripped off. Ox shoe from pasture. Some lead from site and pasture Trapezoid harness buckle and "rounded rectangle harness, and a harness tack ring.

I can't tell if the nail is rosehead?

Hand done relics are my favorites, so I had a super good time today. 1/2 mile walk in, uphill. I'm no youngster :(

There was a road through the pasture, coming off the state road, Then it went across the RR tracks, then 1000 yards more, to go across the river. Tried hard to find any hint of the roadbed, or gate openings in the stonewalls, near the tracks and scouting the rivebanks... Not one hint of the road. They must have rebuilt the holes in all the stone walls too. ???
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0497.webp
    DSCN0497.webp
    121.2 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCN0499.webp
    DSCN0499.webp
    133.8 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCN0501.webp
    DSCN0501.webp
    443.4 KB · Views: 162
Upvote 32
Those are some KILLER buttons!!! Congratz..
 
Those are some KILLER buttons!!! Congratz..

Thanks, I agree. I loves me some fancy buttons.

Hey, I forgot to tell about the trees..

One big tree sits southwest of this cellar on a nice small grassy knoll, That tree is the small one....it's got to be 4-1/2 feet across. Slightly west of the cellar is a big one that the Tobac was under. That one is 5-1/2 feet across!

I was looking back as I left the pasture down hill, and I see another big tree in there, that I missed. Too many thorns.

I never did find the 2nd home, and it should be either due east or due west from this hole, and maybe 150 yards, tops. Just can't find it yet
 
Great buttons I'd hit that place hard

HH Jer
 
Wow nice I also have gotten many books from the library and maps. That's treasure huntin g Goof Post
 
You got 4 really nice buttons there!
 
Nice finds!!! I really like the buttons!
 
buttons are very cool . nice finds.
 
Nice buttons . Those are big dandies
 
If I started hitting buttons like that. I would be sure to spend the colder months there. I wonder if a small chain saw could take out those thorny briars.??
Congrats on your finds
 
If I started hitting buttons like that. I would be sure to spend the colder months there. I wonder if a small chain saw could take out those thorny briars.??
Congrats on your finds
Well, I awoke this morning to the sound of SNOW PLOWS! We now have 5 or 6" of heavy sticky snow, and still snowing. I'm going to have to admit that the extended "2015" MD season has finally ended for good

Yes, I thought about bringing tree pruning lop shears. I can't believe the size of the cattle that I see there in summer, but they somehow get through some real tight spots with no headroom. Someone told me that they like to smash through the thorns to "scratch their itch".

1934 and 1970 aerial pics show that the pasture was completely open except for some huge trees...but I could not see either cellar on those fuzzy pics.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom