What's new

Another Visit to the Palm Tree Median....More Good Targets!

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
1,741
Reaction score
5,675
Golden Thread
2
Location
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was T-shirt weather in the city today, sunny blue skies with the temperature at about 60.8-) I started at where I left off last weekend working my way down the strip on my second pass. I can't believe what I missed on my 1st pass. Today another 14 wheat pennies, silver ring, 1901 Indian Head Penny, and 2 silver dimes! One of the silver dimes was the deepest coin so far, it was 8 inches deep!

My best target totals for the strip so far are:

15 Silver Coins
91 wheat pennies
9 silver rings
1 gold ring

I'm going to keep going at hunting this median strip!:icon_thumright:
 

Attachments

  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 003.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 003.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 139
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 002.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 002.webp
    19.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 004.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 004.webp
    82 KB · Views: 131
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 005.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 005.webp
    38.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 006.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 006.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 007.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 007.webp
    117.6 KB · Views: 151
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 008.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 008.webp
    45.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 009.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 009.webp
    38.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 010.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 010.webp
    73.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 011.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 011.webp
    47.5 KB · Views: 134
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 012.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 012.webp
    45.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 001.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 001.webp
    31.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 002.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 002.webp
    29.7 KB · Views: 134
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 004.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 004.webp
    17.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 005.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 005.webp
    13.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 006.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 006.webp
    15 KB · Views: 133
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 009.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 009.webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 010.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 010.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 011.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 011.webp
    15.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 012.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 012.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 013.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 013.webp
    15.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 014.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 014.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 016.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 016.webp
    15.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 017.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 017.webp
    16.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 018.webp
    Silver Ring & 2 Silver Dimes 018.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 44
tn_outstanding.gif
Nice finds! Thanks for sharing...
 
Nice digs! The boy salesman liberty pin was given to Boy Scouts in the 20's and 30's for selling magazines and other goods.
 
Last edited:
Nice digs! The boy saleman liberty pin was given to Boy Scouts in the 20's and 30's for selling magazines and other goods.

Thanks for the info! I had no idea what this was.
 
That strip has been very good for you. Are you hitting it in different directions every time you hunt it?
 
That strip has been very good for you. Are you hitting it in different directions every time you hunt it?

Absolutely! I am working it extremely slow. I take one step and stop, sweep my coil as if were the size of a silver dollar covering every square inch. It's taking me 2 hours to move 50 feet. It's so easy to miss the deep targets if you don't cover the ground this way. Can't wait until Saturday to be back out there!
 
we have a median like this near our beach here. someday i may hit it just to see. worth a shot! nice finds!
 
I wonder why so many cool things are in that median?
 
I wonder why so many cool things are in that median?

I'm not positive but I believe the median was put in around 1900 to 1915. Within the vicinity of this street are thousands of residential houses with people who own dogs. Since I started hunting this area I've seen literally dozens of dog owners with their dogs out in the strip. My theory is that after all this human activity over the past 100 years has allowed thousands of items to be dropped. Plus all those j walkers cutting across the street over a million times since the early 1900's......
 
Cool Hand, great post ! I'm pretty sure I know what median you are referring to (and based on the hints in your pix). It starts with a "D", right ?

There's one particular section of that length that has been very good to me. Just a single block, that for some reason, out-shown the others. At most sections I struggled for a lone wheatie or two or three. And if lucky, a silver dime. But when I crossed a street into a certain particular block, it was like night and day. All of the sudden it was one wheatie after another. Even a crisp teens walker half at ~9" deep.

Some friends and I researched the date range of the origination of those medians. Based on historic photos of the district, you can see when there was no medians, to when they came-into being. Including one revealing dated photo where you can actually see them in the back-ground beginning to be constructed. It went in phases, from north to south, over a 5 or 10 yr. period, starting from about 1910-ish. Thus when you think of it, is actually sort of "new" based on the ages of lots of other SF parks.

And it's pretty junky in there, d/t all the years of passing traffic chucking their pulltabs out the window as they drive. And the older coins (pre 1940s losses) are often time very deep (depending on how lush/most various sections are). And the soil and EMI throws off TID's for my machine (not sure how your Fisher's TIDs are on those blocks). I had to lower my mental criteria and grasp for whispers (anything that hinted for a moment of being a high conductor) . Just to get the needed depth there.

And I don't know about you, but I'm passing the low conductors. Not being a hero for nickels or gold there. If someone were to slow down and "stripmine" (dig all conductors), they could spend an entire week on just half a block it seems , doh!

But on the one good block that I like, I've toyed with the idea of going slow and working every single conductor out of gridded out sections. *Just* to "see what's underneath" I guess :)
 
Cool Hand, I love the finds. But I love the way you told your story even more. Those pics and descriptions took time to create, but they really made the post interesting and click worthy.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom