What's new

Antique (?) discs with strange carvings

tuatara

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2010
Messages
640
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
Hey brainy bunch,

These discs were undug on an old goldfield where we recovered a number of Chinese coins and a Chinese-motif button (a mandarin playing with a little dog). So I assume there was a camp of Chinese miners there. The smaller disc has something that looks like a crossed square on one side and 7 almost but not quite parallel lines on the other. A little dot marks the center of the central line. On one side of the larger disc I can see what very roughly resembles compass directions. Its other side has a diamond shape with little indents (not holes). May be to fasten something. It’s surrounded by 7 cross-like shapes. One below it and 3 on each side. The ‘cross’ below crosses into the diamond shape. On both discs scale-like markings along their edge are unevenly spaced. The material the discs are made of is brass. The things are very crude. It can be something very obvious and simple for you but I just cannot place them. :help:
 

Attachments

  • discs001.webp
    discs001.webp
    67.4 KB · Views: 344
  • discs002.webp
    discs002.webp
    55.4 KB · Views: 348
  • discs003.webp
    discs003.webp
    61.3 KB · Views: 349
  • discs004.webp
    discs004.webp
    69.7 KB · Views: 351
  • discs005.webp
    discs005.webp
    71.5 KB · Views: 336

Attachments

  • CSAChinese.webp
    CSAChinese.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 332
Upvote 0
Marsha reporting in . . LOL . .Maybe they were Confederate Chinese Sorry, I couldn't resist. Here is a post with websites that may help. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,296036.0.html

Hi Marsha,

LOL about Confederate Chinese. Had a look at your links. They are all about antique coins and gambling tokens. Could not find a geometrical discs like mine there.
 
Upvote 0
Nice one Breezie :icon_thumleft: :laughing7:

I presume the pendants are Chinese Talisman.

Mike
 
Upvote 0
The button in your photo dates from the 1890s.


Cheers,



Buckleboy
 
Upvote 0
Nice one Breezie

I presume the pendants are Chinese Talisman.

Mike

Hi Mike,

They were all about Lucky Seven ;D - seven lines, seven crosses. Or may be they were put on kids before their geometry test. Strange symbolics :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
The button in your photo dates from the 1890s.


Cheers,



Buckleboy

Hi Buckleboy,

It's a Victorian 2-piece button no doubt about it. Found quite a lot of them but could never date them as precisely as you. Can you please share the dating info with me?
 
Upvote 0
1. Circle: The Circle is one of the most potent symbols. It represents Eternity, Completion, Unity, the Universe, Perfection and the Sacred Female.

2. Triangle: The Triangle relates to the combined power of the Body, Mind and Spirit; Mother, Father and Child; and of the Past, Present and Future.

3. Square: The Square represents the four elements- Wind, Water, Fire and Earth - and the four directions.


http://www.squidoo.com/healthsymbols

Feng shui influences

Mike
 
Upvote 0
tuatara said:
Marsha reporting in . . LOL . .Maybe they were Confederate Chinese Sorry, I couldn't resist. Here is a post with websites that may help. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,296036.0.html

Hi Marsha,

LOL about Confederate Chinese. Had a look at your links. They are all about antique coins and gambling tokens. Could not find a geometrical discs like mine there.

As I was reading your Brady 'Brainy' Bunch salutation, I was trying to think of all the kids names on the Brady Bunch. I got them all but the youngest boy, but refuse to look on google . .lol. It's one of those things that pop into your mind at 2:00 am, and then the next morning you wonder if any one in the house heard you say, 'OH YEAH, it's ___!' (BTW, my name is not Marsha-Marsha-Marsha) :laughing7:
The link I was referring to was the coins with square holes. http://www.anythinganywhere.com/commerce/coins/coinpics/chin-amulets1.htm I don't have a clue on the others.
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
1. Circle: The Circle is one of the most potent symbols. It represents Eternity, Completion, Unity, the Universe, Perfection and the Sacred Female.

2. Triangle: The Triangle relates to the combined power of the Body, Mind and Spirit; Mother, Father and Child; and of the Past, Present and Future.

3. Square: The Square represents the four elements- Wind, Water, Fire and Earth - and the four directions.


http://www.squidoo.com/healthsymbols

Feng shui influences

Mike

WTG Mike ^5 :headbang: BTW, what happend to the Burger King Avatar . . .LOL . .just kidding. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
tuatara said:
The button in your photo dates from the 1890s.


Cheers,



Buckleboy

Hi Buckleboy,

It's a Victorian 2-piece button no doubt about it. Found quite a lot of them but could never date them as precisely as you. Can you please share the dating info with me?

I couldn't find my other post, but read my reply to this post: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,197802.0.html

1880s or 90s.

There were many, many buttons with these types of Oriental themes manufactured in these two decades.


Cheers,


Buckles
 
Upvote 0
1. Circle: The Circle is one of the most potent symbols. It represents Eternity, Completion, Unity, the Universe, Perfection and the Sacred Female.

2. Triangle: The Triangle relates to the combined power of the Body, Mind and Spirit; Mother, Father and Child; and of the Past, Present and Future.

3. Square: The Square represents the four elements- Wind, Water, Fire and Earth - and the four directions.


http://www.squidoo.com/healthsymbols

Feng shui influences

Mike

You're absolutely right, Mike :icon_thumright:. As it's turned out ancient Chinese used geometrical symbols in their alchemy as well. So the charms are very powerful:). Hopefully they will help me with my detecting. I am marking it as solved. Thank u, Breezy and Mike!!!
 
Upvote 0
I can imagine, a very wary and weary, Chinese Miner back in the Rush days, making his own Talisman.
We have our own history in New Zealand of Chinese Gold Miners of the era. I admire them and their courage, as much as any other nationality who braved that adventure, in those days.
Mike
 
Upvote 0
I can imagine, a very wary and weary, Chinese Miner back in the Rush days, making his own Talisman.
We have our own history in New Zealand of Chinese Gold Miners of the era. I admire them and their courage, as much as any other nationality who braved that adventure, in those days.
Mike

Many of them paid top price for a piece of yella metal - their lives. That's why I cherish all the relics from our Down Under goldfields. It's like a little memorial to those courageous people.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom