Antique Firemans Badge

Teamroper

Nov 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Antique Fireman's Badge

They pulled the old brick sidewalk up in a local town and I was lucky enough to find this in the first minute. The funny part if that the interference was terrible and anything below the 3 1/2" mark was usually some kind of molten rock or lava looking stuff. My partner found an 1887 Indian Head penny about 10 ft up from where I found this badge. Those are the ONLY items we found in two blocks of removed sidewalk!!

The good news is that we know that this sidewalk was put down somewhere around 1900, the badge was UNDER the walkway and if you look real close you can see the outline of a old horse-drawn fire truck. It's easy to see the ladder and fire pump holding it in your hand. You can also make out "Engine 2" at the top and "H__D." at the bottom. I'm taking it for granted that that stood for Harriman Fire Dept. since that's the town I found it in.

Attachments

• IMAG2599.jpg
    IMAG2599.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 158
Upvote 8
that is a great find

AllI can say Is WOW !!!!!! :headbang:

That's awesome! I love the badge/shield finds better than anything else. Very cool!

Very nice find! What kind of machine are you using that gave you the interference ?

Really nice!

Very nice find! What kind of machine are you using that gave you the interference ?
Spectrum XLT. After I went up a block it quit. We'll see, I'm going back and up one street tonight. LOL.

Teamroper, That is very cool, congratulations on a rare find. I am with you, that badge is from your town's department. Therefore, if HFD has a historian, or there are photos and articles available, you should be able to actually research Engine 2. The Maltese cross FD badges came in both breast (pin and catch) badges and hat (post, nut and small spike pin) badges. The hat badge post was always in the center of the badge, an easy way to ID it. Happy Hunting, Sub

Very nice find. Congrats...

Teamroper, That is very cool, congratulations on a rare find. I am with you, that badge is from your town's department. Therefore, if HFD has a historian, or there are photos and articles available, you should be able to actually research Engine 2. The Maltese cross FD badges came in both breast (pin and catch) badges and hat (post, nut and small spike pin) badges. The hat badge post was always in the center of the badge, an easy way to ID it. Happy Hunting, Sub
It's a badge. You can see on the back where there were two posts, one on the top and one on the bottom.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back