What's new

antique metal wind up pig toy

WatchCollector56

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2011
Messages
79
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was recently found in an estate. It is about 3 inches long and 1 inch tall. I was hoping if someone could tell me what it is? and what it is worth? Thank you!
 

Attachments

  • pig2.webp
    pig2.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 987
  • pig_1.webp
    pig_1.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 943
Perhaps it is the pig version of "Dumbo the Flying Elephant". Do his ears flap? I wonder is this is an import from Japan during the 20s and early 30s? They were making a lot of "tin toys" at that time, and weren't known for being high quality. The construction of this looks quite "basic".
 
Upvote 0
I just checked the pig and it does say made in japan. Do you have any clue what it would be worth? thank you.
 
Upvote 0
What, you expect me to remember everything?? I'm not Breezie, ya know! I was doing good at just remembering Japan. I am just an old guy that watches Antique Road Show and have turned my brains to mush after many years of d.................well, never mind. I will just say "cain't remember" and be done. I don't suppose he walks, too?
 
Upvote 0
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
It does look similar, but look at the difference between prewar Japanese and postwar German. The construction of the legs is a major eye opener. Unless there is a huge market for the Japanese version, I would suspect they would be similar in price.
 
Upvote 0
In the mid 50's, which was just 10 years after the war, the the Japanese economy was recovering, but they were no where near to where they are now, and much of the stuff they made looked a lot like the pig. As an American sailor on liberty, the Japanese bar tenders didn't like us bending or crushing our beer cans. The cans were worth money, and were cut up and turned into tin toys like your pig. I've seen toys made at that time that still had the beer brand name on the inside of the toy, so if you can see inside or under the legs, and you see part of a can label, that would date it to post war, mid 50's.
 
Upvote 0
Awe5 ~

I tried doing a search for Japanese Patents, but got so frustrated with it that I had to call it quits. However, before I pulled the plug I stumbled onto the following that "might" be the wind-up pig in question ...

PN JP 117711 May 10, 1930

But I could not find a picture to go with it. Most of the Japanese patent sites I looked at are confusing, with the majority of them requiring complicated downloads and/or fees.

So if anyone among us is a patent search expert, please try the number 117711 and see what you can come up with. It just might hold the clue to identifying and dating the little tin pig. :icon_thumleft:

Thanks.

SBB
 
Upvote 0
THE EARS FLAP -- HUMM MAKES ME THINK OF THE OLS SAYING "WHEN PIGS FLY"
 
Upvote 0
I just sent an email inquiry to the main Patent Office in Japan. I described the item as best I could and included what I believe is the patent number ... 117711

It is Wednesday 12-14-2011 / 12:PM noon here in California. And 5:AM in the morning, Thursday in Japan. So hopefully I will hear back from someone soon as they are just now beginning their work day.

If this actually pays off, I will be shocked. But, you just never know. :icon_thumleft:

SBB
 
Upvote 0
This toy pig appears to be identical to one which had a celluloid clown riding on it. Note the color, spots on the back, and thin red detailing around the eyes and mouth

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1262973
 
Upvote 0
Yup, really really close if not the same. Do you think the clown just sat there or does the pig have a slot A for the clown's tab A? Doesn't appear to be a slot on the subject pig. Maybe it is likely the clown didn't attach.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom