Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all..

I am sure this has come up before, but I just wanted to add my two cents.

I'm pretty sure that almost ALL detectorists watch this show. I mean... I feel that all people who detect must have some interest in older items and/or history. That show gives us the best of ALL worlds.

Yet.. in all the shows I have ever seen... I don't think I ever saw a single coin show up! Strange...

Now... I'd like to hear your opinions.

My favorite items to see are the odd items.... jewlery.... books.. maps... civil war items... things like that. These items intrigue me.

THe items I always yawn at and even change the channel on is Pottery and Paintings... god do they bore me!

Also.. how good are you at guessing a value? I have come to realize that I STINK as an appraiser! lol

What about you?!?

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the roadshow came to Wichita recently, I heard that you couldn't bring coins. I can't imagine why.
They also said you couldn't bring those old glass fire extinguishers that have a nasty chemical inside.

OP
OP
Groovedymond

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You couldn't bring coins!??! What the heck.. why not? Think about it.. people who have coins.. the first thing they want to know is what grade is the coin they have. Are they saying they couldn't have someone to give an approximate coin grade so that then the person could look up their coin's value?

That just seems silly. Isn't there a fee to get in to the place to begin with? Wouldn't that take care of the cost of the coin appraiser?

Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd
i watch antiques roadshow all the time. some really neat stuff there. i'm fascinated by the old toys that people bring in. :) i would be an awful appraiser too. :icon_jokercolor: :tard:

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
The only thing that I can think of is that so many people have a few old coins stashed somewhere that they would be overwhelmed with people bringing those, so they just cut them out completely.

inneedoftherapy

Feb 29, 2008
Between the cornrows, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I love this show as an avid antique collector I value thier input. My house is filled to the brim with vintage and antiques. People think I am crazy especailly having wood devouring parrots luckily they prefer the cheapies and leave my victorian hand carved walnut sofa alone will have to share a pic with you all soon of that beautiful piece.
my most valuable find was a pair of oil paintings that I got from an estate auction for 5 cents apiece sent them to Lunds to be appraised and was shocked at he $1,200.00 each appraisal I got one will be going up for sale but the other I have removed from the frame and placed in an old victrola case I got for $35 must admit it looks like it belonged there from the start.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Some of the stuff like tinplate/cast iron toys, Art Deco figurines and certain furniture I have estimated fairly well. Paintings and ceramics are another thing, their values can range from little to lots - you would really have to know your stuff. :icon_study:

I am amazed at some of the gaudy ceramics that I wouldn't want for free, but it turns out to be worth a fortune.

When I see things like rare, vintage, autographed baseballs or historical documents and such, I always think it's a shame they aren't in a museum appropriate to the item.

I wonder how much chaff they have to sort through each time, compared to what makes it onto the show?

Jay

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the reason why they didnt want coins brought to the Antiques Roadshow is simple. The value of coins can easily found in a coin book or from a dealer. The antiques that are presented on the program are furntiture, jewerly, paintings etc for the most part, are difficult to find the value. However, I did watch the British version once where a MDist brought in some Roman coins that was appraised for over 5,000 pounds. The AR is a great program!

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best shows on TV. I tried to get tickets to the show when they were in Philadelphia but I wasn't chosen in the lottery to attend :(

OP
OP
Groovedymond

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They use a lottery ticket system? I thought you just bought tickets like a concert?!?!?

Wow... the more I hear about the 'behind the scenes', the more disappointed I become!

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Groovedymond said:
They use a lottery ticket system? I thought you just bought tickets like a concert?!?!?

Wow... the more I hear about the 'behind the scenes', the more disappointed I become!

I don't know if they do the lottery in every state but they did it in Philadelphia. I was really hoping to get tickets too. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Not everyone can get in, witnessed by the lines visible from the backgrounds of the chosen few. However, I've seen some gorgeous stuff with no follow-up, except some shakey relatives. No guidance available, sorry. This is a maturing process for these students. Check back in a couple of years.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe they didn't want to be liable in case your coins were stolen at the show... or while you left... or in your car etc.. ( maybe insurance reasons )

PLL

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PimpLenin said:
The only thing that I can think of is that so many people have a few old coins stashed somewhere that they would be overwhelmed with people bringing those, so they just cut them out completely.

That and there being so many resources out there for coins people don't really have to buy a ticket or wait in line to get an answer.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I enjoy the show, especially some of the more unusual stuff that comes up. However, I feel that most of the values put on items might be possible at auction in the big markets such as New York, Boston, Los Angeles etc.
where you may see several or more wealthy, avid collectors, but in most of the country, I'd hate to try to get even close to some of those prices. They're only worth the big prices if someone will actually pay it. My two cents.
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread