🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any clue about his knife?

mw44

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2023
IMG_20230425_074630181_HDR~2.jpg

Recently, we removed about 6 inches of topsoil from a yard in southern WV and have found 1 broken point, 1 broken scraper, and a lot of flakes. Then yesterday I found this knife in the same exact location. I have no clue about knife identification or aging them. I haven't seen any stamped area or any kind of insignia on it but as you can see, it has rusted quite a bit. It seems like the crossguard is copper or maybe brass...definitely has a golden color to the crossguard.
I was truly surprised to find it in the same place I'm consistently finding native flakes and points. I have no idea if this thing is 80 years old or 500 years old lol.
Any clue about this thing?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice recovery, any pictures of the points?

Most trade knives didn't have a quillion. The handle had a slight back hump slope to them, or completely straight.
This knife certainly has some age to it, though it resembles what hunting knives look like.

Upvote 2

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it had a screw hole in the brass possibly 2 so that could have been where a nameplate was?

Upvote 1

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s difficult to date knives of that form, but I would consider it no later than 19th century

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread