🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any clue about his knife?

mw44

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2023
IMG_20230425_074630181_HDR~2.jpg

Recently, we removed about 6 inches of topsoil from a yard in southern WV and have found 1 broken point, 1 broken scraper, and a lot of flakes. Then yesterday I found this knife in the same exact location. I have no clue about knife identification or aging them. I haven't seen any stamped area or any kind of insignia on it but as you can see, it has rusted quite a bit. It seems like the crossguard is copper or maybe brass...definitely has a golden color to the crossguard.
I was truly surprised to find it in the same place I'm consistently finding native flakes and points. I have no idea if this thing is 80 years old or 500 years old lol.
Any clue about this thing?

Nice recovery, any pictures of the points?

Most trade knives didn't have a quillion. The handle had a slight back hump slope to them, or completely straight.
This knife certainly has some age to it, though it resembles what hunting knives look like.

Upvote 2
It looks like it had a screw hole in the brass possibly 2 so that could have been where a nameplate was?

Upvote 1
It’s difficult to date knives of that form, but I would consider it no later than 19th century

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back