Any Idea What These Are?

pamlicopanther

Feb 12, 2010
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur (Sword Model) Tesoro Cibola (With GB Mod)

Attachments

• DSCN6170.JPG
    DSCN6170.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 733

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
lip stick tubes from "camp followers' --solders would also use screw type old tubes like that to hold "matches" as match holders to keep em dry :wink:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pamlicopanther

pamlicopanther

Feb 12, 2010
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone. Lipstick tubes??? I would have never thought about that. So they could be from "camp followers"? Very interesting.

Ironspike - I am actually one county over in Beaufort county. I grew up and still live along the Pamlico River.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Im researching the wrong pics lol. The lipsticks posted by Timekiller are 1930-40's era.

Can we see the bottoms for a more precise ID? Any markings?

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
bright red lipstick --has been used by hookers from the time of old rome and greece to "highlight" one of their special talents -- I can not go any farther on that subject and still be "polite"

-also I would think that in a pinch that lipstick could be used as a form of "chapstick" for chapped lips --soldiers were exposed to the sun , heat & wind outdoors alot --I would think their lips would get dry and chapped from that exposure , funny to think of it --but in a pinch you do what you got to--- the empty lipstick in any case would make a soldier a dandy "free" waterproof match stick holder .

dry matches were vital to soldiers in the civil war * to light camp fires to stay warm in cold weather & cook food and make coffee , and to light their pipes or cigars with .

fighting JOE HOOKER - civil war union general was so well known for his allowing "camp followers" to tag along with his troops that they became known as HOOKERS ARMY -- LATER SHORTED TO JUST "HOOKERS"

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the non text book stuff is often much more "interesting" than the often boring "offical" textbook knowledge or at least I have often found it to be.

Upvote 0

S IL THer

Nov 29, 2009
S. Illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, DFX, Coinmaster Pro,White's Eagle II SL, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just some info from WIKI:
There is a popular legend that "hooker" as a slang term for a prostitute is derived from his last name[19] because of parties and a lack of military discipline at his headquarters. Some versions of the legend claim that the band of prostitutes that followed his division were derisively referred to as "General Hooker's Army" or "Hooker's Brigade."[20] However, the term "hooker" was used in print as early as 1845, years before Hooker was a public figure,[21] and is likely derived from the concentration of prostitutes around the shipyards and ferry terminal of the Corlear's Hook area of Manhattan in the early to middle 19th century, who came to be referred to as "hookers".[22] The prevalence of the Hooker legend may have been at least partly responsible for the popularity of the term.[23]

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty sure both of those lipstick tubes are contemporary rather than CW era. My Mom use to buy Revlon products at the local dry goods store back in the late 1950s and early sixties. I remember her talking about some "Evening In Paris" cologne. I may be wrong but I think Revlon products premiered as over the counter products in the 1940s? Monty

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the word ---hooker while not "invented" for use solely because of "fighting joe hooker"s allowing "camp followers" to tag along with his army --(it was used earlier true) ---did become much more commonly used as a term due to the press it got and its linkage with the stories. --- thus its common use.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
pamlicopanther,

I think you need to post a pic of the bottoms to determine if they are CW era IMO, but...

If you feel this is solved,

Go back to your original post,

Click on Modify,

Click on Message icon down arrow,

Click on Solved,

The Green Check will appear

Here is a photo tutorial to help you through that process.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,259097.0.html

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pamlicopanther

pamlicopanther

Feb 12, 2010
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
bigcypresshunter said:
pamlicopanther,

I think you need to post a pic of the bottoms to determine if they are CW era IMO, but...

If you feel this is solved,

Go back to your original post,

Click on Modify,

Click on Message icon down arrow,

Click on Solved,

The Green Check will appear

Here is a photo tutorial to help you through that process.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,259097.0.html

There isn't anything on the bottoms so I didn't post a picture of them.

Sorry - I found myself questioning if it was lipstick tubes, so I was waiting to see if any other suggestions were presented. I will go ahead and click it as solved.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
You dont have to post the check until you are ready. 8) I was just giving a freindly reminder in case you didnt know. :)

I said this 3x now so I wont say it again but I think its going too far for our members to assume these are CW era lipsticks, without knowing whats on the bottoms.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the first pic -- what if anything is on the case bottom please ? we know the the others post by another person are later era items * they are later era lip stick tubes due to the name brand on them --lip stick has been around a long long time * knowing what if any marking it has would be a great assist to figger its time range

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
dscott67 said:
dscott67 said:
revlon did'nt have lipstick until 1942 ~~ :thumbsup:
the other has been around since 1863,don't know when there lipstick came around !!
We have no idea if these lipsticks are Revlon or CW era because the poster hasnt yet told us about any markings or posted a bottom pic. I researched the lipsticks (Revlon and Evening In Paris) posted by timekiller and there is no doubt they are 20th century. Im just clarifying that we cannot say these are CW era just because mini balls and other CW items were found in the area..

Do you understand what Im saying pamlicopanther?

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
ivan salis said:
the first pic -- what if anything is on the case bottom please ? we know the the others post by another person are later era items * they are later era lip stick tubes due to the name brand on them --lip stick has been around a long long time * knowing what if any marking it has would be a great assist to figger its time range
thank you Ivan :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread