Found on a gravel bar in Northwest Missouri, River name= 102

100_0703.JPG

100_0702.JPG

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That bone looks awfully robust for its size. Is it mineralized? If so, could be from a now extinct species. We used to find bison and cave bear bones in the Arkansas river near Tulsa, OK a lot. The mud preserves them really well.

Upvote 0

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bone is definitely a humerous. The question is from what species and with a four inch upper arm it narrows the field.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bone is very hard, but i dont know how to tell if it is mineralized... i did find what i am guessing is horse , maybe bison teeth a few feet from this. ill post a picture.

100_0706.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly a small dear? yours is missing the Epiphyses on the larger end. HH
Broken Knee

Attachments

• DEER HUMERI SMALL.jpg
    DEER HUMERI SMALL.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,337
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bone is very hard, but i dont know how to tell if it is mineralized... i did find what i am guessing is horse , maybe bison teeth a few feet from this. ill post a picture.

View attachment 715884
Mineralized bones will generally feel a lot heavier than they should. The object is being slowly filled by minerals so sometimes you can actually see small crystals if you look very closely. (Microscope-closely most of the time.)

Actually, the process is more correctly called permineralization. What happens is that small amounts of minerals seep into the spaces in the bones (the microscopic air holes between the calcified bits) and gradually fill up all those spaces. They form microscopic endocasts (inside casts -- essentially fossils of the negative space or the "air space"). The original material is still there unchanged, but the bone becomes more solid and hard. Of course, if allowed to sit for a LOT longer, the calcium will be converted as well, and you will end up with a petrified bone where all the original material is replaced.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread