✅ SOLVED Spur?

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, stuck in the house "helping" the wife get ready for Christmas so I'm posting up whats-its as long as I can get away with it. I just posted up another video to my Youtube site and there is an interest in getting this identified as well. I'm guessing some sort of "ball" spur as it looks very much like the same type of construction and size as the "swan" spur I also found that day. The swan has a slot for the rowel, but not the ball. Mrs Chigger, who likes horses, says it is a spur for sure. I had questioned that because I couldn't figure out how it attached to the boot heel without a screw hole or slot. She seems to think with a leather strap over the curved piece. So, spur or coat hanger, or...?

Attachments

• PC230005.JPG
    PC230005.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 154
  • PC170032.JPG
    PC170032.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 128
  • PC230006.JPG
    PC230006.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 145

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think it's spur, it looks like only one side is broken off, and the good side being that short I don't know how they would hold it on the boot.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's spur, it looks like only one side is broken off, and the good side being that short I don't know how they would hold it on the boot.

That's why I'm kind of shaking my head. The swan in the last picture is a spur and too has no obvious way to hold it onto the boot. The curature for the "boot heel" is nearly identicle in both pieces and they are pretty much the same size. Hmmmm....

Well, the ball one is much heavier in construction so there is that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That's why I'm kind of shaking my head. The swan in the last picture is a spur and too has no obvious way to hold it onto the boot. The curature for the "boot heel" is nearly identicle in both pieces and they are pretty much the same size. Hmmmm....

Well, the ball one is much heavier in construction so there is that.

OK, I see the swan isn't broken, didn't notice that before. Is there any indication that there might have been a pin dead center behind the shank. I've seen pictures of modern spurs for sale that pinned to the heel of the boot with a spike thingy. Haven't seen any for a long time though, and I wouldn't think they would work very well, but how would I know, I've never used any like that, so have no personal experience.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The swan does have a speck of rust there, but not the round thingy. It's so similar, but something just seems off. This is kinda what I was thinking of, but there is no obvious way to attach it to the boot.

31CgI83YCVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, stuck in the house "helping" the wife get ready for Christmas so I'm posting up whats-its as long as I can get away with it. I just posted up another video to my Youtube site and there is an interest in getting this identified as well. I'm guessing some sort of "ball" spur as it looks very much like the same type of construction and size as the "swan" spur I also found that day. The swan has a slot for the rowel, but not the ball. Mrs Chigger, who likes horses, says it is a spur for sure. I had questioned that because I couldn't figure out how it attached to the boot heel without a screw hole or slot. She seems to think with a leather strap over the curved piece. So, spur or coat hanger, or...?

Question:::

Attachments

• spur.jpg
    spur.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 340
Upvote 0
OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There isn't an actual hole, but there is a rust spot that I assume is probably a screw. I can easily take another pic, but I am pretty sure that is the attachment point for it. But the ball one does not have that at all. It's just so similar in size...

Question:::

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
There isn't an actual hole, but there is a rust spot that I assume is probably a screw. I can easily take another pic, but I am pretty sure that is the attachment point for it. But the ball one does not have that at all. It's just so similar in size...

I am pretty sure that spur was attached by a box system .. a box system spur.
The ball I am not real sure of.

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The swan is most certainly a complete spur, minus the iron spike that went into the boot heel. It is certainly mid-1800s or so, and is a very nice recovery. The ball thingy I have dug those before, and thought they might be a rein tie-down from a wagon or similar. I have several similar designs I've dug over the years.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0
OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I do believe you are right on the money! Funny how it has almost the exact same curvature as the spur. I'll be digging out that area soon so hopefully, I'll find more of it. I did get this hunt on video if any of you are interested in checking it out. I'll mark this as solved.

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, wow, WOW! What an ID! That's them! Every one I've dug has looked like that--and the crazy thing is, those pieces I always thought were brass bed parts...well, maybe they're more of these!

KILLER ID!

BRAVO to Taz42o!

-Buck

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions