What's new

Any ideas of what this was or is?

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2011
Messages
6,154
Reaction score
7,991
Golden Thread
4
Location
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lee County Georgia 8-5-2025 (1).webp
Lee County Georgia 8-5-2025 (1).webp
Lee County Georgia 8-5-2025 (2).webp

A friend of mine sent me these pictures of an item that I'm not sure what it is. I've only seen the pictures that I posted here and not in person. According to him it feels like clay but, I think it looks like it's made of hard stone. It was found at a site that has Native American artifacts and later items dating to the settlers (1820-1870s). - Lee County in Southwest Georgia is where it came from. Any thoughts would be welcomed!
 
Upvote 0
Tell him to put two layers of duct tape over that wart.
Leave it on for two weeks, changing it out every two days.
When the middle root pulls out, put iodine in the hole for a few days till it dies.
Not a joke. I've removed a couple this way.


Is that a Chinese letter in the third picture or something else?
 
In a few areas in IL, IN, and KY and TN, flint comes in the form of balls. Anywhere from golf ball size all the way up to 12”, although larger ones are rare. These are sedimentary concretions and sometimes show banding. These were formed during the Mississippian time period 350 mil yrs ago. This is a whole ball from So IL.
IMG_0625.webp


Over time, crashing together in a creek, the balls can break in half. This ball broke not quite exactly in half a very long time ago and now has a good patina.
IMG_0619.webp


With my knapping billet, I knocked off the other side to expose the center.
IMG_0620.webp


Here’s another that’s similar.
IMG_0623.webp
IMG_0624.webp


Since your rock was found on an Indian campsite, I’d say it’s a flint spall detached from a half ball of flint. It doesn’t look like it was used. Maybe it’s poor quality? Or too small for their needs? I’m not sure if ball flint occurs in GA. It’s possible but could also have been traded in. The TN River goes at least as far as the GA line going upstream. And it meets the OH in KY exactly where there is ball flint.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom