What's new

Any ideas?

funshinebear

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 27, 2013
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
OHIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
021.webp038.webp028.webp031.webp


Any ideas on what these items are? They belonged to my husband's grandfather, so I don't know where they came from. We are located in southern Ohio, and I have found numerous items in the garden and creek that I will post at a later date, but I am most curious about these. Any help would be much appreciated!
 
Upvote 0
What part of southern Ohio are you in? I am in Scioto county.

The three stone with the divots in them are commonly referred to as Nutting Stones. Most will only have one divot, but some will have multiple ones and I have seen some with up around 30 or more. There is now a theory that these were used to grind the ends of Antler Billets that were used to flake Arrowheads and Tools.

Are there any on the other sides on any of them?

The other piece looks like a crude Preform or maybe a Chopper used to break open bones to get to the marrow. They are pretty common as well.

Here's a few that I have and a couple have multiple divots.
 

Attachments

  • 100_6683.webp
    100_6683.webp
    61.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 100_6682.webp
    100_6682.webp
    50.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 100_6681.webp
    100_6681.webp
    53.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 100_6680.webp
    100_6680.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 100_6679.webp
    100_6679.webp
    46.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Very nice nut stones. Like Grim said the crude one could have been used as a chopper or digger and maybe even made for a quick task at hand. How fun to discover an old collection. Welcome to the forum.
 
I have one like the bottom left one. Crude tool is all I call it. Maybe used for digging roots.
 
Thanks for all of the help!! I really appreciate it!!

Grim, I too am in Scioto county, FF area. I don't fancy myself a hunter. I'm more of a gardener/creek walker who happens upon a find every once and a while. I have, however, taken a certain interest in it this summer and hope to keep finding interesting items. Here area few things I have found myself. The large point was found in a creek bed, and the rest in my garden. I know the small items are nothing, but I hang on to them anyhow. :happysmiley:
031.webp033.webp036.webp037.webp
 
There were not divots on any other part of the stones.
 
Cool. I am in Wheelersburg and hunt Franklin Furnace all the time. The area around the Coke Plant and the Chemical Plant up around Haverhill have always been very good to me. I have found a lot of very nice pieces up that way. It's a shame none of the farmers plow very deep anymore.

I actually see a lot of pieces in your pictures. Looks like some tips, a base or two, and possibly a couple of Scrapers. Looks like your garden is very productive.
 
Cool. I am in Wheelersburg and hunt Franklin Furnace all the time. The area around the Coke Plant and the Chemical Plant up around Haverhill have always been very good to me. I have found a lot of very nice pieces up that way. It's a shame none of the farmers plow very deep anymore.

I actually see a lot of pieces in your pictures. Looks like some tips, a base or two, and possibly a couple of Scrapers. Looks like your garden is very productive.

I know where that chemical plant is. I had to go to an auction sell in that area. A pet dairy went out of business there. Does this look familiar Reaper. Sorry to stray from topic by the way!

image-430009804.webp



image-2352921660.webp

Pretty place!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom